Am I thinking this through fully...

:
2005 Mazda 6 Wagon Sport & 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Since I have had 4 flats and 1 blowout in the last six years and not wanting to do a two tire swap (AWD) should my front tire go out, I found an OEM GT wheel for $205 and a new Toyo A23 tire for $115, I'm thinking of swapping the space saver spare for a full size. The tire width difference is 70 mm, so a bit under 3 inches. Now before people start yelling about the cargo floor board not sitting right, I was thinking I would build the space under the foam space saver that houses the tools with EVA floor mats (1/2 inch so would stack 6) that have been cut using the space saver foam as a template.

The only thing I have not figured out is covering the gap between the opening of the trunk and the floor board of 2 inches since there is a lip there.

So my question for people more experienced than me, would this be feasible? Any suggestions? Is there something I am not thinking of? And last, would packing a bottle jack be better than the existing scissor jack?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't worry about the floorboard shifting forward a bit due to the increased width of the new spare.

Do it. Having a matching spare and not using that donut is nice. I have 5 aftermarket wheels and the 5th wheel/tire has proven it's worth twice now. Once after a blow out and once after I bent it drifting in the rain.

Being that it is an AWD, wouldn't you still have to have the spare tire shaved to the right tread depth to match the others?

Being that it is an AWD, wouldn't you still have to have the spare tire shaved to the right tread depth to match the others?

My CX5 is new. Just 800 miles on it. My plan is to rotate the spare in on rotations and hopefully keep the spare tread within the 3/32 required for AWD.

Since I have had 4 flats and 1 blowout in the last six years...

You realize that Murphy's Law dictates that any involved effort you put forth for the purpose of facilitating future tire replacements will result in you no longer experiencing flats, right?

You realize that Murphy's Law dictates that any involved effort you put forth for the purpose of facilitating future tire replacements will result in you no longer experiencing flats, right?

Absolutely! That is part of the reason for my effort, lol.

My CX5 is new. Just 800 miles on it. My plan is to rotate the spare in on rotations and hopefully keep the spare tread within the 3/32 required for AWD.

Absolutely! That is part of the reason for my effort, lol.

Sounds like a good plan then... There are some folks from across the pond who have done the same here with the full sized spare, and if I recall, the only fault is the cargo floor is higher than the lip at the hatch opening.

Sounds like a good plan then... There are some folks from across the pond who have done the same here with the full sized spare, and if I recall, the only fault is the cargo floor is higher than the lip at the hatch opening.

I noticed that. I do have a cargo mat that has a lip. I have been considering attaching a plastic strip attached to the mat going down past the lip. That will hopefully reinforce the mat lip and two cover the gap between the floor and lip.

I noticed that. I do have a cargo mat that has a lip. I have been considering attaching a plastic strip attached to the mat going down past the lip. That will hopefully reinforce the mat lip and two cover the gap between the floor and lip.

With that nice gap, you would be all set to add a nice Sub Woofer into the wheel area now...

I received my wheel and tire (and an extra as a shipping error). Tomorrow I will get it mounted and balanced.

After trying the foam route, I was not pleased with it. I found the easiest method was 3 - 3 inch by 24 inch PVC pipe and 2 90 degree curved 3 inch PVC pipe. I will find out tomorrow night how it all fits.

Latest posts

Back