No CD Player Available in new 2017 Mazda CX-5

No CD Player in vehicle - Does this make a difference to you?

• Total voters
I feel like we've had this discussion already.

I haven't used a CD in any of my cars since perhaps 2012....literally, and that was just to rip them to the internal music collection.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Do you guys know if I could plug my android phone into the USB for both charging and to access music?

Do you guys know if I could plug my android phone into the USB for both charging and to access music?

Pretty sure the 1st GEN CX-5 won't charge an Android phone (my 2015 wouldn't) and the folder structure on your phone wouldn't allow it to be played as a USB device. It should work via Bluetooth OK...

I used my CD player just this morning. (cabpatch)
Yep. I put some old CD's last weekend riding with my wife. She could even tell the difference on sound quality! I brought some CD's trying to compare the Bose system on 2017 during Mazda CX-5 Ride & Drive Event in Dallas on the other day, but of course I couldn't! To me, CD's still have the best sound dynamics and quality next to vinyl records! :)

Yep. I put some old CD's last weekend riding with my wife. She could even tell the difference on sound quality! I brought some CD's trying to compare the Bose system on 2017 during Mazda CX-5 Ride & Drive Event in Dallas on the other day, but of course I couldn't! To me, CD's still have the best sound dynamics and quality next to vinyl records! :)

I should probably test mine with a CD before my 3/36 expires in 1500 miles. :) .... I don't think I have ever tested that.

On long trips we often listen to books on CDs that we rent or buy to stay awake...

Apparently there is this option for listening cd's in your car. Quality might be an issue though:

Capture.jpg

Source:

How to Listen to CDs in a Car Without a CD Player

I just thought of this, Will infotainment recognize and play an external USB CD-Reader?

I just thought of this, Will infotainment recognize and play an external USB CD-Reader?

Not sure, but does the dvd player in japan, euro verson of gen 2 cx5 plays mp3 CDs?

Another thought, if only there was an 8 track/cassette player to USB option available... (whistle)

I prefer the Aux cord. Even with a cheapo 99- cent store wire the sound quality is better than BT. In fact I prefer the Aux's sound over CD but only because my mp3 player allows me to equalize BOSE's sound signature. Otherwise with Aux I'm hearing details being missed by BT. The drawback is having to deal with the wire cord.

Completely agree with this but am to lazy to deal with the extra cord. Maybe I'll overcome my inertia but wouldn't you lose handsfree telephone?

Fwiw, a good HD radio station sounds better than Pandora over BT on the Bose system to my ears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Completely agree with this but am to lazy to deal with the extra cord. Maybe I'll overcome my inertia but wouldn't you lose handsfree telephone?

You retain BT (if left on your phone). Example I'm listening to Snoop Dogg's Gin and Juice and someone call's me. It defaults into BT phone connection over the Aux mode. After the phone communication is done it reverts back to Aux mode. Essentially your smart phone does the thoughput and tells the Mazda what to do.

RIP CD's to PC or Mac at a good bitrate. Copy the files to your phone, then play in the car via bluetooth or a 3.5mm aux cable and poof, no need for a CD player. It's so easy a caveman can do it.

Sorry that's for android peeps. Iphone users will have to deal with itunes. **sigh**

You retain BT (if left on your phone). Example I'm listening to Snoop Dogg's Gin and Juice and someone call's me. It defaults into BT phone connection over the Aux mode. After the phone communication is done it reverts back to Aux mode. Essentially your smart phone does the thoughput and tells the Mazda what to do.

That's good to know. BT is convenient but it really doesn't sound as good as it could. I may switch to aux.

RIP CD's to PC or Mac at a good bitrate. Copy the files to your phone, then play in the car via bluetooth or a 3.5mm aux cable and poof, no need for a CD player. It's so easy a caveman can do it.

Sorry that's for android peeps. Iphone users will have to deal with itunes. **sigh**

BT can be a bit flakey at times whilst playing tunes

Thanks for the info. I'll take it for a spin.

Aux is my current favorite especially since my source has robust equalizer settings. That said Samsung's smartphones come with stock equalizer settings more complete than any other app (stock menu or aftermarket app) I've used. The Mazda CD player (if equipped) is still confined by the Bose system's processing. Some of the more specific equalizer settings (in smartphones) can only be turned on via Aux as opposed to BT. May have to due to with BT not being able to handle the additional processing? Not sure. I do know that Aux provides a much cleaner, louder, detailed sound, and provides access to more advanced equalizer settings than BT. Bass sounds deeper with definition. Mids and highs benefit from cleaner signals. Even low bitrate MP3s sound better.

I may swap my 99-cent aux cable with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Back