No CD Player Available in new 2017 Mazda CX-5

No CD Player in vehicle - Does this make a difference to you?

• Total voters
Interesting, no CD player in this Mazda Europe pic.

7ec515fc88f68f4ff84ab70c6d74331b.jpg

Finally got around to ripping my CD collection and downloading them onto Google play music and a USB drive. I listen to music in my car through the USB drive. I found it to be more stable than listening to Google Play Music via the Bluetooth. I should have done it a year ago. I have access to over 350 albums/2000 songs on one USB stick.

I remember buying my First ever CD at Costco ...
It was Spice Girls ... Spice world ...
I had long hair and wore a turtleneck ... it was the 90s

Oddly enough I still buy CDs since its still packaged in my Kpop album purchase

I stuck a CD in mine when I got it and apart from testing it, I don't think it's ever been on since. I also have an old iPod permanently connected in the console box. It's got loads of playlists, all the artwork and that gets used 50/50 with the DAB radio. I honestly wouldn't bother if there was no CD slot.

There was a discussion on this in the audio thread already. I'm not sure what it is or why I do, but I sure miss my CDs. So anyone got part # or the possibility of installing the Japanese player?

There was a discussion on this in the audio thread already. I'm not sure what it is or why I do, but I sure miss my CDs. So anyone got part # or the possibility of installing the Japanese player?

If you really want a CD player, just buy a portable one that can connect to MZD connect.

It's not going to be cheap as you need to get the long dash with CD player opening. The shipping from overseas is going to cost you too with the long shape. But I agree with you the sound quality from CD is superior than MP3 file from memory stick when I compare them with the same song on my Bose. Using a stand-alone CD player hooking up USB or wireless BlueTooth, the sound quality will suffer with format conversion compare to direct connection to audio input with factory CD player.

Last edited:
I remember buying my First ever CD at Costco ...
It was Spice Girls ... Spice world ...
I had long hair and wore a turtleneck ... it was the 90s

Oddly enough I still buy CDs since its still packaged in my Kpop album purchase

I remember the first CD I had listened to.

Dr Dre's The Chronic.

The first CD I ever purchased was at the Newbury Comics shop on the MIT Campus. It was the Dead Kennedys dual album: Plastic Surgery Disasters / In God we Trust, Inc.

Dead_Kennedys_-_Plastic_Surgery_Disasters_cover.jpg

Dead_Kennedys_-_In_God_We_Trust%2C_Inc._cover.jpg

It's not going to be cheap as you need to get the long dash with CD player opening. The shipping from overseas is going to cost you too with the long shape. But I agree with you the sound quality from CD is superior than MP3 file from memory stick when I compare them with the same song on my Bose. Using a stand-alone CD player hooking up BlueTooth of USB, the sound quality will suffer with format conversion compare to direct connection to audio input with factory CD player.

I think I looked at the parts list but didn't want to provoke mass suicide. It was obscenity expensive.

I think I looked at the parts list but didn't want to provoke mass suicide. It was obscenity expensive.
Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised that piece of dash with CD player opening is extremely expensive the way Mazda designed it. The much cheaper way is to design the CD slot attached to head unit without a separate opening like the 1st-gen CX-5.

I wonder by creating a 2nd version of front dash specially made with a CD player opening, the whole cost of keeping 2 different dash panels would be more expensive than just keep one version of dash, even with a CD opening and giving a $5 CD player away to everybody? (uhm)

My US 2017 Tourning does not have a CD player. There is a place in the dash for one, but not an option.

I have owned 4 cars with CD players, and all but one of them died. They are just not made for an automotive environment. The USB stick or phone sync work great.

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste any money trying to alter the dash in order to place a CD-player

Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised that piece of dash with CD player opening is extremely expensive the way Mazda designed it. The much cheaper way is to design the CD slot attached to head unit without a separate opening like the 1st-gen CX-5.

I wonder by creating a 2nd version of front dash specially made with a CD player opening, the whole cost of keeping 2 different dash panels would be more expensive than just keep one version of dash, even with a CD opening and giving a $5 CD player away to everybody? (uhm)
It wasn't the dash parts, it was the CD module. I'll dig it out one day next week. I'm away for the weekend.

OK, I pulled up the two screens for the parts and keep in mind they are subject to local tax and need converting to USD, I reckon you are in the $2500 ball park and that doesn’t cont any screws and nuts etc..

fullsizeoutput_171b.jpg

fullsizeoutput_171c.jpg

OK, I pulled up the two screens for the parts and keep in mind they are subject to local tax and need converting to USD, I reckon you are in the $2500 ball park and that doesn’t cont any screws and nuts etc..

fullsizeoutput_171b.jpg

fullsizeoutput_171c.jpg

Not really worth it

Back