No CD Player Available in new 2017 Mazda CX-5

No CD Player in vehicle - Does this make a difference to you?

• Total voters

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Looks like there is no place to play your CD's in the new Mazda's.

(eek)

RIP CD

I am wondering if this is disappointing to anyone else but me?

(blah)

a-bulldozer-destroys-a-pile-of-pirated-cds-and-dvds-that-were-confiscated-GX2CM3.jpg

Last edited:
It is somewhat disappointing for me. Though to be honest, I've been using Spotify straight for half a year now, so I can't really say I was using the CD player. I do use the CD player during road trips though and I like the better sound quality out of it.

If I was in the market for a 2017, yeah....I would find that incredibly disappointing.

Mount this bad boy...errr kat to your dash and hook up to your aux input. Blast that gansta rap at the drive thru

61Irgzu%2BLjL._SL1002_.jpg

There was one picture that showed the CD slot below the screen built in to the dash

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There was one picture that showed the CD slot below the screen built in to the dash

Pretty sure that's only for overseas models. North american models (Canada for sure per the detailed spec sheet) won't have it.

Pretty sure that's only for overseas models. North american models (Canada for sure per the detailed spec sheet) won't have it.
That is correct. The pictures and video of a Japan market version show their local Japan market model retaining the CD/DVD slot.

US/CANADA get none...

Interested in also seeing about other markets like Australia and UK.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that a major reason I decided to get a 16.5 and not wait for the 17 was because it looked like the 17 (at least in the USA) didn't have a CD player. The lack of a CD in the 17 CRV was also a big strike against that vehicle as well. It's not that I don't like, use, or couldn't adjust to using only a USB or my phone (though I personally don't care that much about streaming services), but of all the features available to me in a car, a CD player is one that I use most often.

cds are dead. 17 crv also doesnt have one.

I have 3 kids have a beater suv fully decked out. i used the optical disc drive (plays cds and dvds) probably no more than 2x in the last 3 years.

same reason even laptops now are starting to no longer have optical drives. obsolete. probably people who rely on them are the minority these days.

I use the CD player occasionally. For me, I appreciate it because my home PC is so outdated I can no longer re-sync my iPhone with my iTunes account on the PC. So unless I purchase straight from the iTunes store, I cannot add my remaining CD collection to my iPhone.

Further, it does seem that I get better sound quality via CD than streaming... and the volume levels are a huge difference. Volume of 10 using a CD is loud, whereas I usually have to crank the volume up to 30 when streaming via Bluetooth to get similar sound levels (and that is with the volume on the iPhone set at about 80% max).

Perfectly happy to not have it as I haven't purchased a CD in a decade. The only physical media I'm interested in for music is vinyl, and that's a little impractical to stick in a dashboard.

zLI0S0D.jpg

cds are dead. 17 crv also doesnt have one.

I have 3 kids have a beater suv fully decked out. i used the optical disc drive (plays cds and dvds) probably no more than 2x in the last 3 years.

same reason even laptops now are starting to no longer have optical drives. obsolete. probably people who rely on them are the minority these days.

A CD player is like most features in a car: some want it, some don't. I live in So Cal and so have no need for a heated steering wheel (for example) and certainly wouldn't pay extra for one. But I do have thousands of CDs that I'd still like to play in the car... without having to rip them first. It'd be a different story if the stock radio (or Bose system) could be easily changed out, as in the past, but these new integrated infotainment systems make adding an aftermarket CD much harder than before.

I think the only time I have used a CD in the last 4 years was for a CD I use to test and tune stereo systems

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Better sound quality from using the CD player is a valid reason to want a CD player. In my case, I can tell the difference in quality. With high quality streaming enabled on my phone, this difference is lessened, but I will still say sound quality from the CD player is still the best.

Better sound quality from using the CD player is a valid reason to want a CD player. In my case, I can tell the difference in quality. With high quality streaming enabled on my phone, this difference is lessened, but I will still say sound quality from the CD player is still the best.

You should treat your ears nicely... they're better than a lot of sound engineers! :)
320kbps MP3 is considered almost indistinguishable from CD even in controlled listening environments.

Here's an interesting double blind study done with music professionals I found interesting
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~hockman/documents/Pras_presentation2009.pdf

I have a 2013 and I've always been meaning to test if my CD player even works...obviously I haven't missed it. Its probably full of dust by now. LOL

You should treat your ears nicely... they're better than a lot of sound engineers! :)
320kbps MP3 is considered almost indistinguishable from CD even in controlled listening environments.

Here's an interesting double blind study done with music professionals I found interesting
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~hockman/documents/Pras_presentation2009.pdf
Interesting study. I might have to try out ripping my CDs into 320kb/s MP3s just to try it out. I will say, that the difference between CD sound quality vs Bluetooth streaming was a lot more noticeable in my Speed3 than in the CX-5. I guess that means the CX-5 has a better sound system for streaming music.

Back