Mazda5 Transmission Issues Jerking OSS

Lance5

:
Mazda 5
Hi All,
I'm currently trying to get my used Mazda5 we bought last year running again. It currently has about 133000 miles on it. 3 months ago on a colder day probably around 50 degrees or so my AT light came on and car began jerking violently and switching gears at park. I stopped car and restarted it. Using the manual setting on the automatic helped me get it home. Pulled a code with engine off about solenoid D stuck. After this we sought to get it in, but it began driving completely normal again. Due to work, school, and appointments we were forced to use it (we still owe about 5000 on this car and its out of warranty. It still has a rough shift from 1-2 and occasionally drops hard from 4-3 when you're in that gear range. We took it to dealer, but at the time AT light had gone off and he could find no codes, but said he felt the drop in gears, and although he really didn't tell me why said i needed a new transmission for 3k plus labor. I took it home and listened to a friend and put in some Lucas transmission stabilizer. For about two days i thought issue was gone when it began again. I began pulling a P0720 off of it for a Output shaft sensor Circuit malfunction. Checked my Transmission mount which was shredded, completely detached, replaced rear engine mount as well. Jerking isn't as bad, but i know eventually destroy new mount bushing as well. I have just replaced the OSS, or so i think since everything i find says something different about the sensors on this 4-speed transmission, didn't help so now I'm changing the VSS. I can't even trade this thing in with the jerk from 1-2 gear. The problem is intermittent at times, but has become less so, although occasionally it will shift just fine. Usually the AT light and CEL will will come on and in a few minutes the AT light will shut off with just the CEL staying on. I haven't pulled the Solenoid code since that first time months ago, now all i get is the OSS sensor malfunction, checked wiring with voltmeter, all good. I did routine maintenance on car and transmission fluid is dirty, but not filthy. Problem with changing it is the Dealer Mechanic told me that Changing it could make it underivable. I'm not sure what my next step should be if the VSS replacement doesn't work, and is it true that there are two OSS on this car? Also I bought Mercon 5 cause i read online that was what it took, then found another forum saying that was the wrong kind of ATF. Anyone have an issue like this before?

I don't know why ATF fluid change would make it underivable.
Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) fluid, drain a gallon and put a gallon in, drive 15 minutes, do it again and do it again after for 3 times total.

+1

ATF change may not fix the problem -- it might be deeper than that -- but should not create any issues. Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle, Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic, Red Line D4 are just a few of the aftermarket ATF choices to consider. Then there is Mazda OEM M5 ATF (part #0000-77-112E-01), of course. Mazda M5 and Mercon are different.

Ditto, I wouldn't hesitate to change the ATF with a full synthetic.

We recently had the TCM fail on our 5. The failure was intermittent. It would rapidly slip in and out of normal operation ("D") and "limp home mode" (AT light, blank gear display). We were able to drive it to a shop for the diagnosis. I wonder if anyone has had a chance to break one open and look for bad solder connections? Bad TCM seems to be a recurring problem with the Mazda5.

Same issue

Same problem as OP described. I also still owe 5k on it and have to use this car. No one wants to take it in trade without essentially taking it for free. Our transmission fluid looks fine, Armco said to replace the battery so we did. Only code says lost communication with TCM.
Any solutions appreciated.

Back