Downpipe issue

crjames3141

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Alrighty, so I have been trying to find a suitable downpipe for my build. I have the first(top) half of the corksport 2 piece downpipe, which hornsfan so kindly brought to my attention lol. However I cannot find something to line up to it. With the exhaust off and in running open downpipe the thing is a monster with a speed3 wastegate shooting immediately to 15lbs and spinning first second. Tie the exhaust in which I believe is a couple tenths of an inch smaller than the 2.5 and the stupid thing won't go past ten lbs and it's a slow climb to get there. Can't even spin first a little. Help.

I would just get a Pope downpipe and also get a replacement wastegate and set it to 5-7lbs. Anything more than 5-7lbs on the stock motor without supporting mods is not a good idea. You can get a replacement wastegate for the GT25RS at ATP Turbo for around $85. Increase the arm length to the stock wastegate length and that should put you around 6-8lbs (The ATP wastegate tends to boost a little higher than stock).

Mind posting a couple pics of the downpipe setup you have going on?

Last edited:
I agree with you but my motor on standby has pauter rods and wiseco pistons. I don't beat on this motor either. I currently have a t517z greddy turbo, hard pipes,mishmoto radiator, front mount ic, 3in apexi exhaust walboro fuel pump larger injectors and a full standalone tune. I'll be running around 22lbs.

Photobucket account is the easiest way to post pics. 22lbs! Wow, what do you have planned for the transmission?

Welp I was gonna keep a back up tranny. Do you have any suggestions for building it?

LO-*******-L.

Good luck, guy.

I personally went through 9 transmissions running 18-26PSI, most of which failed around 20psi. All but two had third gear failures due to shaft spread.

Your car kind of sounds like it's been hacked together with random ******* pieces- why?

I agree with you but my motor on standby has pauter rods and wiseco pistons. I don't beat on this motor either. I currently have a t517z greddy turbo, hard pipes,mishmoto radiator, front mount ic, 3in apexi exhaust walboro fuel pump larger injectors and a full standalone tune. I'll be running around 22lbs.

Didn't realize you had forged goodies. I still recommend the POPE downpipe though, Tom does some badass work.
As for the transmission question, I have no input on that. I'm a stock GT25R user with plans of only running 8-10lbs daily, lol.

I'm not gonna be banging gears. I already baby it except for 1 or two pulls and even then I allow the gear to engage before I fully get on it. I've learned the limits of this car pretty well. If I shred my fresh built tranny I will. Throw in the spare and dumb it down.

You can get Mfactory or PAR gears but the gear sets alone are a couple thousand dollars, plus bearings, synchros, new shift forks (if needed), a trans brace w/machine work, new lock nuts, Mfactory LSD. You can easily spend over $3k building a trans.

You have to keep the solenoids plugged in to the harness, but can leave the vac lines off. This will avoid a CEL. You will lose low end and not gain hardly any top end with the 626. You are best off just deleting the VTCS flaps in the stock manifold or finding an FSZE mani.

Are you talking about the intake or exhaust mani? The 626 swap is the intake manifold.

Back