Clutch

Ramirezp5

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Well it's time for me too change my clutch I keep getting clutch chatter and it vibrates the car like crazy. Any clutch recommendations? Flywheels? Any other mods I could do while I drop the tranny?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

You sure it's not motor mounts? I get a little chatter on the first couple starts when it's cold, but after that it feels good and grabs hard and consistently. Motor mounts took out all the slop from the engine absorbing torque instead of transferring it.

Sent from my LG V20 using Tapatalk

You sure it's not motor mounts? I get a little chatter on the first couple starts when it's cold, but after that it feels good and grabs hard and consistently. Motor mounts took out all the slop from the engine absorbing torque instead of transferring it.

Sent from my LG V20 using Tapatalk
It's not, because it still does it after it get up to running temp

fidanza flywheel and south bend clutch.

With all due respect, he's not boosted or anything, so an OE clutch should do it. With an OE flywheel, he's be out the door for $140 at RockAuto. That's half the cost of just the flywheel.
The money saved would be better put towards a Hydra crank pulley, which will help out in a similar manner.

And I provided my recommendation. A 7lb flywheel and heavy duty stage 1 clutch is overkill for a car without boost and maybe making 100bhp.

i would agree check all of your motor mounts before tearing into the clutch. they're a lot cheaper and easier to replace. you could do all 4 of them in about an hour.

unless you've got a really leaky rear main seal or something else contaminating the clutch material, i wouldn't suspect the clutch of chatter. it would normally slip under heavy acceleration if it is a clutch issue, unless you think it's a race car and beat on it doing burn outs and overheat the crap out of it.

However, replacing an OE clutch with a heavy duty racing clutch is much more likely to cause chatter. Anyone that's ever driven with an ACT 4 puck will tell you about clutch chatter lol :)

While driving down the road in 3rd gear, put the car in 2nd gear, then let out the clutch. If the RPMs of the engine don't immediately go up, it is most likely a worn clutch.

If a motor mount is worn bad enough that it lets metal touch metal it will rattle and vibrate like crazy. They're worth looking at.

If you slip the clutch when taking off, does the car lurch or roll smoothly? If the clutch doesn't slip smoothly, that's the problem

If a motor mount is worn bad enough that it lets metal touch metal it will rattle and vibrate like crazy. They're worth looking at.

If you slip the clutch when taking off, does the car lurch or roll smoothly? If the clutch doesn't slip smoothly, that's the problem
It lurch, sometimes it doesn't want to grab

Back