Backup camera failure

SDL

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
This is the second time this happens to me. The first time it was several months ago. Normal operations resumed the following morning. The second time being this afternoon. The camera was working fine. I parked my car and when I get out of the grocery store, it wasn't working. Turned the car off/on a couple times and nothing. Hoping that tomorrow everything is normal again, but this is a bit concerning. Anyone has this happened?

bh25X45.jpg

Hasn't happened to me.
If the issue continues this morning, sounds like a service/warranty visit is in order.

Just happened to me for the first time today. Logged on to see if i could find anyone reporting the problem and i saw your post right near the top.... Im curious if this is happening to others too. We just had a remote start (Compustart) put in last week. After a week of big problems, they rolled back the firmware which appeared to fix the problems. Then this happened today. You didn't have a remote start installed by any chance??

Just happened to me for the first time today. Logged on to see if i could find anyone reporting the problem and i saw your post right near the top.... Im curious if this is happening to others too. We just had a remote start (Compustart) put in last week. After a week of big problems, they rolled back the firmware which appeared to fix the problems. Then this happened today. You didn't have a remote start installed by any chance??

No remote start installed and last time I got my car firmware updates was in December, Oil change in January.
It might just be a coincidence. Both times it happened I've had to wait overnight for the camera to work again. And I think both occurrences happened about 6 months apart. I will definitely keep an eye on it especially now I know there are others having this issue.

Same as last time, the issue is gone and the camera functions normal again.

Yes -- but you have a picture of it. Bring the car into the dealer, and if they can't replicate the issue, show them the pic. If this has been happening to other owners, they may know the fix.

I find that pic interesting. So the camera fails and they show you a birds eye graphic of the Mazda's surrounding sensors "working".

Does this image appear under any other circumstances? If not, it's like Mazda knew the camera would fail and got an image ready.

I find that pic interesting. So the camera fails and they show you a birds eye graphic of the Mazda's surrounding sensors "working".

Does this image appear under any other circumstances? If not, it's like Mazda knew the camera would fail and got an image ready.

I've only seen the image when the camera doesn't work. My guess is that this is what shows up in vehicles without cameras but with parking sensors. It could also be that screen is always there but when you get a signal from the camera, the video gets overlaid on top of that screen. So whether or not the camera fails the screen is always there, just visible if there is not video from the camera. (This is my assumption, I can't say that's how it actually works)

I've only seen the image when the camera doesn't work. My guess is that this is what shows up in vehicles without cameras but with parking sensors. It could also be that screen is always there but when you get a signal from the camera, the video gets overlaid on top of that screen. So whether or not the camera fails the screen is always there, just visible if there is not video from the camera. (This is my assumption, I can't say that's how it actually works)

I agree 100%. This same image is what we see in the top right corner of the video backup camera. The video layout normally shows camera in full screen and the Bird eye graphic overlayed in a Picture in Picture mode. I believe some really trimmed models without camera will show this PIP in full screen or it's available when camera fails, like you say.

This just happened to me today and has not gone away. Any suggestions (other than a dealer visit?)

UPDATE:
UPDATE: After about an hour I tried again and worked okay. My first thought is something is overheating rather than a connection issue...weird.

Last edited:
This just happened to me today and has not gone away. Any suggestions (other than a dealer visit?)

UPDATE:
UPDATE: After about an hour I tried again and worked okay. My first thought is something is overheating rather than a connection issue...weird.

Yea, unfortunately waiting is the only thing that has fixed it for me. I doubt the dealer would do anything unless they see it happening at that moment.

Back