Go to shop for maintenance but they send me back home!

cubanomx

:
Mazda CX9 2016 GT AWD
My CX9 GT 2016 AWD purchased on june 2016 have now 7500km. I have 2 warnings in my system: maintenance soon and oil change need it, something like that.

I make my appointment and go to the dealer. The maintenance price it's only about 50 usd, very cheap here in Mexico.

I arrived on time and as soon as they review my Mazda, the technician says: hey! you don't need to do maintenance now!, It's better if you wait until 10,000 km for maintenance. Regarding this alerts, this can be erased just in a second and you can return when you have 10,000 km in your odometer. All Mazda vehicles now don't need maintenance twice a year but every 10,000 km.

Ok... good!

Do you know that?. The tech jump in and adjust the warnings. For the oil change message, they do the weird stuff with the light adjustment in order to clear it (they even told me this was hard to discover for them!).... I try it one month ago and I can't do it successfully.

And they recommend Mazda Castrol Semi-Synthetic oil for the engine. If I want, i can pay 25USD extra for full Synthetic. What do you think?

Last edited:
With the way oil is made today and how engines are built the 3000 miles per change is obsolete now.

With regular oil 5000-7500 miles is fine.

With Synthetic you can go even longer and I'd pay extra for it too.

NOTE-This all depends on your driving, location, city / highway, etc.

With the way oil is made today and how engines are built the 3000 miles per change is obsolete now.

With regular oil 5000-7500 miles is fine.

With Synthetic you can go even longer and I'd pay extra for it too.

I agree. Mazda now recommend the oil change every 10,000km (about 6200 miles) for the full Mazda vehicle line, including cars and SUVs.

I believe I need to use full synthetic oil starting in my first oil change because my daily conmute is home --> work and work (4 mile trip) --> home on weekdays (5 mile trip, different route)... so this are short trips. It's synthetic recommended? On weekends we make longer trips.

My CX9 GT 2016 AWD purchased on june 2016 have now 7500km. I have 2 warnings in my system: maintenance soon and oil change need it, something like that.

I make my appointment and go to the dealer. The maintenance price it's only about 50 usd, very cheap here in Mexico.

I arrived on time and as soon as they review my Mazda, the technician says: hey! you don't need to do maintenance now!, It's better if you wait until 10,000 km for maintenance. Regarding this alerts, this can be erased just in a second and you can return when you have 10,000 km in your odometer. All Mazda vehicles now don't need maintenance twice a year but every 10,000 km.

Ok... good!

Do you know that?. The tech jump in and adjust the warnings. For the oil change message, they do the weird stuff with the light adjustment in order to clear it (they even told me this was hard to discover for them!).... I try it one month ago and I can't do it successfully.

And they recommend Mazda Castrol Semi-Synthetic oil for the engine. If I want, i can pay 25USD extra for full Synthetic. What do you think?
I definitely would use "Full Synthetic" 5W-30 oil with API Service SM certified in Mexico. With longer service interval for 10,000 km or 6 months whichever comes first on Schedule 1 for Mexico you want the best oil in your hard-working turbo engine which is dealing with 1,875F (1,025C) hot exhaust gas! Castrol Edge is a good full synthetic oil and the price is not much higher than conventional or synthetic blend oil. Of course in theory your dealer should change your oil in 6 months even if you'd driven only 5,000 miles according to Mazda's maintenance schedule for Mexico.

So you couldn't adjust and reset Maintenance Monitor like the Owner's Manual stated; and couldn't do Oil Change Reset for Fixed interval used in Mexico? (uhm)

Maintenance Monitor
1. Select the icon on the home screen to display the Applications screen.
2. Select Vehicle Status Monitor to display the current warnings.
3. Select Maintenance to display the maintenance list screen.
4. Switch the tab and select the setting item you want to change.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216178View attachment 216179

This's why you want to turn on your oil life monitor and let on-board computer does the guess work for you! :)

Check page 6-5 for Schedule 1 maintenance in your owner's manual and there's "Flexible" oil change interval many people may not be familiar with. Unfortunately this Flexible OCI is only applicable to USA and Puerto Rico. By using engine oil flexible maintenance interval you can change oil when a wrench indicator is on. The maximum interval is 12 months or 7,500 miles, although you can change the oil earlier than that if you feel more comfortable and reset the monitor after the oil change. This's a good oil life indicator for our reference and on CX-5 it shows percentage of oil life left too. The on-board computer in the vehicle "calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions. The vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by illuminating the wrench indicator light in the instrument cluster. More details on page 6-19 for Maintenance Monitor.

I definitely would use "Full Synthetic" 5W-30 oil with API Service SM certified in Mexico. With longer service interval for 10,000 km or 6 months whichever comes first on Schedule 1 for Mexico you want the best oil in your hard-working turbo engine which is dealing with 1,875F (1,025C) hot exhaust gas! Castrol Edge is a good full synthetic oil and the price is not much higher than conventional or synthetic blend oil. Of course in theory your dealer should change your oil in 6 months even if you'd driven only 5,000 miles according to Mazda's maintenance schedule for Mexico.

So you couldn't adjust and reset Maintenance Monitor like the Owner's Manual stated; and couldn't do Oil Change Reset for Fixed interval used in Mexico? (uhm)

View attachment 216178View attachment 216179

Thanks for sharing the images. I'm pretty sure the maintenance reminder can be reset, but I try the oil change message reset as indicated without success. I will try again in the future. The tech in the Mazda dealer do something similar.

Thanks for the recommendation for full Synthetic oil. Will do.

What is a "API Service SM certified" ???

In Canada, the oil change maintenance schedule is at 8,000km? so do you not void warranty if you keep on going beyond that?

In Canada, the oil change maintenance schedule is at 8,000km? so do you not void warranty if you keep on going beyond that?

the oil change schedule it's at 8000 in the car settings or your dealer told you you need to change it every 8000km or you will lost warranty?

In Mexico the change in the past needs to be done every 5000km. Now is every 10,000 km. I call 5 different dealers and all of them told me the same. Even Mazda Mexico in the facebook page advertise the maintenance every 10,000km. As I explained, I go to the dealer for scheduled maintenance at 7500 and they send me home and told me again about 10,000km. They have 1000 +/- range tolerance. All maintenances needs to be done in order to keep warranty and extended warranty.

In Canada maybe it's little different. Check with your dealer to avoid warranty issues.

It won't void your warranty though it is recommended to follow the owner's manual for oil change interval scheduling and sometimes even if you go over their scheduled intervals there are tolerances built into these modern engines. Here in Cda it is recommended to change oil every 6-8K Km or 6 months whichever comes first and based on your location it is definitely recommended to do it every 6 months in my opinion especially if you do a lot of short trip commutes, extreme temps (hot or cold) and dusty areas. I think for an average of $50 per oil change, using full synthetic oil and doing it every 6 months is a cheap insurance for the longevity of your $50K vehicle! To each is his own of course but that is just my two cents.

⋯ In Canada maybe it's little different. Check with your dealer to avoid warranty issues.
API Service SM or SN (newer and better) is an oil quality certification used worldwide (but strangely US no longer use it instead by an ambiguous Certified For Gasoline Engines mark) and you'll see it on the oil bottle if you're getting the quality oil.

I believe you have had your CX-9 more than 6 months, your dealer should change your oil because of that based on Mazda recommended oil change schedule for normal driving conditions (Schedule 1) - 10,000 km or 6 months whichever comes first!

In Canada we have different oil change interval for CX-9 on Schedule 1: 8,000 km (5,000 miles) / 6 months whichever comes first.

In USA and Puerto Rico we have Flexible OCI for Schedule 1 with up to 7,500 miles (12,000 km) / 12 months. Only in severe driving conditions (Schedule 2) we use either Flexible, or Fixed OCI which is 5,000 miles (8,000 km) / 6 months whichever comes first.

Do make sure ask for full synthetic 5W-30 oil such as Castrol Edge for your turbo engine and longer OCI. Also be aware Mazda's OEM 5W-30 oil with P/N 0000-CG-5W30 is Castrol GTX oil. It's a conventional oil since 1980's and I definitely wouldn't use it in the new CX-9!

It won't void your warranty though it is recommended to follow the owner's manual for oil change interval scheduling and sometimes even if you go over their scheduled intervals there are tolerances built into these modern engines. Here in Cda it is recommended to change oil every 6-8K Km or 6 months whichever comes first and based on your location it is definitely recommended to do it every 6 months in my opinion especially if you do a lot of short trip commutes, extreme temps (hot or cold) and dusty areas. I think for an average of $50 per oil change, using full synthetic oil and doing it every 6 months is a cheap insurance for the longevity of your $50K vehicle! To each is his own of course but that is just my two cents.

Thanks for sharing how works in Canad.

Here in Mexico, not only Canada, but all brands (Nissan, Honda, Volvo, Subaru, Ford, Acura, Toyota, etc etc) forces you to do maintenance of the car in the dealer (at any location) in order to keep the warranty. If the service books don't have all the signatures from the dealer and you don't make the maintenance at the required intervals, your warranty is lost, gone, kaput!.

For example, my Volvo S40 needs maintenance every year or 10,000km. ( whichever comes first )
My wife Mitsubishi Lancer needs maintenance every 6 months or 5000km ( whichever comes first )
My wife xtrail (rogue in USA) needs maintenance every 6 months or 10,000 km ( whichever comes first )
My old cx9 sport 2011 requires maintenance every 6 months or 10,000 km ( whichever comes first ).

My new cx9_ every 10,000 km regardless of time.

all Mazdas now needs to make maintenance every 10,000 Km. No matter if you do it every 3 years. This is even officially advertised in the Mazda MX website:

https://www.mazda.mx/propietarios/mantenimiento

Look:

mtto.JPG

Text:

APLICA EN TODOS LOS MODELOS MAZDA

Los servicios de mantenimiento programados se realizan cada 10,000 kilmetros sin importar el tiempo

Translation: Apply to All Mazda Models. Scheduled maintenance services are performed every 10,000 kilometers regardless of time

API Service SM or SN (newer and better) is an oil quality certification used worldwide (but strangely US no longer use it instead by an ambiguous “Certified For Gasoline Engines” mark) and you'll see it on the oil bottle if you're getting the quality oil.

I believe you have had your CX-9 more than 6 months, your dealer should change your oil because of that based on Mazda recommended oil change schedule for normal driving conditions (Schedule 1) - 10,000 km or 6 months whichever comes first!

In Canada we have different oil change interval for CX-9 on Schedule 1: 8,000 km (5,000 miles) / 6 months whichever comes first.

In USA and Puerto Rico we have Flexible OCI for Schedule 1 with up to 7,500 miles (12,000 km) / 12 months. Only in severe driving conditions (Schedule 2) we use either Flexible, or Fixed OCI which is 5,000 miles (8,000 km) / 6 months whichever comes first.

Do make sure ask for full synthetic 5W-30 oil such as Castrol Edge for your turbo engine and longer OCI. Also be aware Mazda's OEM 5W-30 oil with P/N 0000-CG-5W30 is Castrol GTX oil. It's a conventional oil since 1980's and I definitely wouldn't use it in the new CX-9!

Thanks for sharing. I will investigate the 2 options or Oil available for Mazda in the Mazda dealer. As far as I know, they have Castrol Semi Synthetic and Castrol Full Synthetic.

I read the original manufacturer oil in the SUV when go out of the dealer it's special because have some kind of special component required for the first 5000 miles. So I read it's better to keep it as long as possible. And after the 1st change, using full Synthetic it's the way to go.

Perhaps I can wait until 9000km to go inside the +/- 1000 km range (Mazda dealer change it between 9000 and 11,000km... if not done at mazda dealer, warranty is lost), change the oil for full syntethic and do it every 5000km for myself

This's why you want to turn on your oil life monitor and let on-board computer does the guess work for you! :)

Check page 6-5 for Schedule 1 maintenance in your owner's manual and there's "Flexible" oil change interval many people may not be familiar with. Unfortunately this Flexible OCI is only applicable to USA and Puerto Rico. By using engine oil flexible maintenance interval you can change oil when a wrench indicator is on. The maximum interval is 12 months or 7,500 miles, although you can change the oil earlier than that if you feel more comfortable and reset the monitor after the oil change. This's a good oil life indicator for our reference and on CX-5 it shows percentage of oil life left too. The on-board computer in the vehicle "calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions. The vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by illuminating the wrench indicator light in the instrument cluster. More details on page 6-19 for Maintenance Monitor.

My GT don't have the "flexible" option.

In mexico it's every 10,000. You have 1000 +/- tolerance. If you go beyond that, warranty and extended warranty is lost! This apply to ALL BRANDS in Mexico, not only Mazda. All maintenance needs to be done in the brand dealer (most dealer have maintenance shops) or express brand maintenance shops (Mazda have dedicated shops just for maintenances)- You go saturday morning 9am and pick up your Mazda at 11am. Appointment need it. You can wait at the dealer or they ask for a cab for you. I normally leave the SUV at the maintenance early in the morning, ask for Uber and go to stores near Mazda and return in 2 / 3 hours. 50 / 100 USD and done. Every 10,000km. With my last cx9 (sport 2011), I do it twice a year.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I will investigate the 2 options or Oil available for Mazda in the Mazda dealer. As far as I know, they have Castrol Semi Synthetic and Castrol Full Synthetic.

I read the original manufacturer oil in the SUV when go out of the dealer it's special because have some kind of special component required for the first 5000 miles. So I read it's better to keep it as long as possible. And after the 1st change, using full Synthetic it's the way to go.

Perhaps I can wait until 9000km to go inside the +/- 1000 km range (Mazda dealer change it between 9000 and 11,000km... if not done at mazda dealer, warranty is lost), change the oil for full syntethic and do it every 5000km for myself
Yeah in many countries you have to do scheduled maintenance according to the book at your dealer otherwise your warranty is void! The maintenance schedule on OCI in Mexico I quoted is right out of our CX-9's owner's manual. So in Mexico if they're actually disregarded the 6 months part? That actually good for you! You can change your oil by yourself in between, or have some local garage do it for you with your own Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic oil and OEM oil filter provided. Use OEM oil filter is for your dealer when they change the oil and they won't have any excuses, such as using aftermarket oil filter, to void your warranty.

Honestly if you use good quality full synthetic oil, it should be fine even for 10,000 km and 12 months. And you're right the factory-filled oil does have high molybdenum content proven by used oil analysis from the CX-5. You should keep the factory-filled oil there for recommended OCI, never do the first oil change earlier than scheduled like the old days.

Yeah in many countries you have to do scheduled maintenance according to the book at your dealer otherwise your warranty is void! The maintenance schedule on OCI in Mexico I quoted is right out of our CX-9's owner's manual. So in Mexico if they're actually disregarded the 6 months part? That actually good for you!

Yes! time don't matter now. You need to do maintenance at 10,000 km. No matter if is at 6, 9 or 12 months. Even longer, if you barely use your car and you get 10,000km every 2 years, you can go to the dealer every 2 years.

Honestly if you use good quality full synthetic oil, it should be fine even for 10,000 km and 12 months. And you're right the factory-filled oil does have high molybdenum content proven by used oil analysis from the CX-5. You should keep the factory-filled oil there for recommended OCI, never do the first oil change earlier than scheduled like the old days.

I will check first the oil type used in Mazda dealers.

How much are you guys paying for synthetic oil change in your area including shop fee and other fees they charge?

Latest posts

Back