Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

giphy.gif

How is Ghost Recon multiplayer? Good online community? Good server counts?

I haven't really done the server thing. I play with friends and do direct invite. I can't speak for the community etc, but the game play, plot, and graphics are pure amazing

Curious what GPU setup you have driving the 4k?

4K is easier to drive than most people think because the framerate native to the monitor prevents it from ever needing more than 60fps...UNLESS you spent the$12-1400 to get a real 4K gaming monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate. Then, Titan X or 1080Ti are, in my opinion, the only viable options unless you are doing SLI and only play games that support SLI

4K is easier to drive than most people think because the framerate native to the monitor prevents it from ever needing more than 60fps...UNLESS you spent the$12-1400 to get a real 4K gaming monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate. Then, Titan X or 1080Ti are, in my opinion, the only viable options unless you are doing SLI and only play games that support SLI

I have a 120Hz 1080 monitor. How much are 144Hz 4k monitors these days?

Yeah see...I'm of the opinion of getting a single more powerful card as opposed to SLIing lesser cards. SLI compatibility is the main reason why, but also experiences and issues running CF back in the day just turned me off to multi-GPU setups.

Brand names, I'd say starting at $200 and going up.

A straight 1080 can drive 4K easily. Hell a 1070 CAN. Yea, a TI or Titan does better here.
That's the only time I recommend 1080's. Few games are natively 4K so anyone chasing that monkey is an early adopter. I am an early adopter is many things, but I do NOT chase the monkey in Video Cards. My current 1070 was actually the first time I ever bought latest gen available actually. Previously I'd buy a gen behind.
My BFF has that same 1070 card I have but with a 144 4K wide ass monitor... Doom looks better on his even though it isn't truly 4K.

I wish I had enough friends that played one game with me. Can I frag wth you Unob if I get GR? lol :D

Last edited:

A straight 1080 can drive 4K easily. Hell a 1070 CAN. Yea, a TI or Titan does better here.
That's the only time I recommend 1080's. Few games are natively 4K so anyone chasing that monkey is an early adopter. I am an early adopter is many things, but I do NOT chase the monkey in Video Cards. My current 1070 was actually the first time I ever bought latest gen available actually. Previously I'd buy a gen behind.
My BFF has that same 1070 card I have but with a 144 4K wide ass monitor... Doom looks better on his even though it isn't truly 4K.

I wish I had enough friends that played one game with me. Can I frag wth you Unob if I get GR? lol :D

I used to upgrade my video cards all the time.

some ancient radeon 9000 card -> some old nvidia 5500 card -> X1650 -> 9800 GT -> 5770 -> 2 x 5770 -> 570 -> 670 -> 980

Once I got the 980, I decided I had a problem and needed to stop. Was doing too much upgrading in same-gen cards and then next gen. Skipped 700's. Got the 980 with the intention of having it for a few years. Might have waited for a 980 Ti had a been smarter, but of well.

1080 or 1080 Ti would be nice, but I am in no rush to upgrade. Titan has never been worth it to me as a gaming card. For gaming Ti tends to be the way to go between those 2. Watercooling has helped curb my upgrade fever because I don't want to do a full teardown and part replacement until it's really worth it. Figured upgrading every other generation is decent enough.

Last edited:
I love builds in a cube! Micro ATX? Mini ITX?

Yeah Uno, 10 fps would not be worth it to me either.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah mATX, here's a really old pic when i did the case swap. old case i think was a corsair 200r

10615340_10204786003961610_6790682003752827851_n.jpg

and size comparison to $$$

10456101_10204789639292491_7379071252236179874_n.jpg

some ancient radeon 9000 card -> some old nvidia 5500 card -> X1650 -> 9800 GT -> 5770 -> 2 x 5770 -> 570 -> 670 -> 980

Once I got the 980, I decided I had a problem and needed to stop. Was doing too much upgrading in same-gen cards and then next gen. Skipped 700's. Got the 980 with the intention of having it for a few years. Might have waited for a 980 Ti had a been smarter, but of well.

1080 or 1080 Ti would be nice, but I am in no rush to upgrade. Titan has never been worth it to me as a gaming card. For gaming Ti tends to be the way to go between those 2. Watercooling has helped curb my upgrade fever because I don't want to do a full teardown and part replacement until it's really worth it. Figured upgrading every other generation is decent enough.

I had a graphics card that wouldn't even run WoW, so I bought an hp. Dunno what it had, but it stumbled along at 20-30fps with graphics turned down, until 2010 or so. Then I got a phenom 2 955 cpu and gtx460. Now, 2017, I have it 7700k and 1080 gtx Asus card. Seeing how weak 1080ti performance is for the money spent...I'm keeping my 1080.

Sure, although I'm nocturnal.

When I got tired of chasing the upgrade dragon, I jumped ship to PS3 for 2 years. Game back with an Asus gaming laptop. BFF bought one, too. We'd take them to a 3rd friends house and play BF3 for hours. LOL
Now back to a desktop with dual screens. Wife needed a good PC to work from home. Oh, I'll build that for ya baby. 😁 ******* thing screams. Easily the fastest machine I've ever read even used.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We need to get you aircooled PC guys into watercooling...lol...Hey, your Mazda is watercooled...Unless of course you happen to be driving around in a Mazda R360? :p

I just wanted to update this. My power-supply was a cheap "Cyberpower" unit, way under-powered, at 500W. I replaced it with a Corsair Gold rated 850W unit, when a fan-bearing (my guess) went out on the Cyberpower unit and it became noisy. This PS is much quieter and the PC runs cooler. Other than that, I have now had the unit for roughly 1 year, and have zero complaints. It's still slaying everything I play on it.

You have a CyberPower PC? Yea, those PSU's are notorious. It's not the watdage that's an issue it's uneven power delivery. Lucky you didn't fry any compenents.

You have a CyberPower PC? Yea, those PSU's are notorious. It's not the watdage that's an issue it's uneven power delivery. Lucky you didn't fry any compenents.
This. 850 is probably overkill for a single card system. A quality 650 is fine.

Having more never hurts though. Just make sure it is quality and not say...Diablotek or something like that. That will blow up for sure.

I don't know if it's the same Corsair Golds as a few years ago. They were made by SeaSonic and definitely quality single rail PSUs.

This. 850 is probably overkill for a single card system. A quality 650 is fine.

Having more never hurts though. Just make sure it is quality and not say...Diablotek or something like that. That will blow up for sure.

I don't know if it's the same Corsair Golds as a few years ago. They were made by SeaSonic and definitely quality single rail PSUs.

I wanted ample power for the Volta cards. I dunno how hot those are going to be. Also, if I wanted to SLI and OC. Buy once, cry once.

CyberPower probably makes the Cybertron then. I don't think CP-PC sells thier off brand PSU to 3rd parties. Nothing wrong with CPPC...I actually got my current rug from them...but with an EVGA PSU.

Back