The All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 Units Have Arrived in U.S. Ports!

Surely someone on here has some sort of sound testing meter to get a more accurate answer than "improved quietness"?.

I have a decibel meter (useful for home theater calibration) and will compare when I get the chance, but it looks like Phoenix is still a couple weeks away from receiving any 2017's.

Quietness was certainly added in .5. I'd like to drive a 15 to....Dare I say it...See what this noise is all about. ;)

My understanding of the 2016.5 is that there are no changes to the design, just a reshuffling of trims and features. Is that not correct?

While out getting lunch I noticed a car carrier headed north.... and it was full of 2017 CX5s. That means by noon EST today they will be at my local dealer, which is about 10 minutes from my house.

It'll probably take them a few days to get them processed and out of the back lot and into the front, but I probably won't be able to resist going and checking them out.

My local Mazda dealer is quite small, so I'm a bit surprised they're arriving so soon. They don't even have them listed on their website yet.

I have a decibel meter (useful for home theater calibration) and will compare when I get the chance, but it looks like Phoenix is still a couple weeks away from receiving any 2017's.

My understanding of the 2016.5 is that there are no changes to the design, just a reshuffling of trims and features. Is that not correct?

Not sure but this graph shows Mazda's claim to reduced NVH levels.
CX-5-NVH-graph.jpg

So it looks like 10% improvement over 2016 and 13% improvement over pre-2016 models in high frequency noise affecting conversation.

Also, a 1 dB improvement over all previous years in low frequency noise causing fatigue. 1 dB doesn't sound like much, but I'm not sure how the dB scale works. Maybe it is considerable?

Last edited:
So it looks like 10% improvement over 2016 and 13% improvement over pre-2016 models in high frequency noise affecting conversation.

Also, a 1 dB improvement over all previous years in low frequency noise causing fatigue. 1 dB doesn't sound like much, but I'm not sure how the dB scale works. Maybe it is considerable?

Have a look at this study: http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_level.php?lvl=1

EDIT: It's a blind test to determine if you can discern a 1dB difference in sound. I got 9/10 in a noisy env with a crummy open headset, so it's definitely noticeable.
This is only partially relevant however, as the fatigue due to a 1dB difference is what we're talking about here.

Last edited:

It's unclear. I researched the 16.5 a lot before buying mine, and many reviews that compared the '16 to the 16.5 noted some additional soundproofing. But other reviews didn't mention this. Could be they were lumping in the soundproofing from the '16 - and it seems clear from Mazda's chart (above) that the '16 *was* made quieter than the earlier models. Despite Mazda's charts and claims, some of the reviews (both pro and consumer) have suggested any NVH improvements are minor in the real-world. Who knows?

It's unclear. I researched the 16.5 a lot before buying mine, and many reviews that compared the '16 to the 16.5 noted some additional soundproofing. But other reviews didn't mention this. Could be they were lumping in the soundproofing from the '16 - and it seems clear from Mazda's chart (above) that the '16 *was* made quieter than the earlier models. Despite Mazda's charts and claims, some of the reviews (both pro and consumer) have suggested any NVH improvements are minor in the real-world. Who knows?

Well, when I test drove the CX-9, which I really liked, I did not find it to be dramatically quieter than my 2014 CX-5. Not sure what the benchmark is? What is the quietest car out there?

Well, when I test drove the CX-9, which I really liked, I did not find it to be dramatically quieter than my 2014 CX-5. Not sure what the benchmark is? What is the quietest car out there?

Lexus?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

The 2013 Lexus LS600HL got 64dB at 70MPH in a car and driver test.
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013-lexus-ls600hl-hybrid.pdf

The CX-9 got 65dB (same as the very quiet Tesla model X)
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...2016-mazda-cx-5-25l-awd-instrumented-test.pdf

2014 Benz S class 67dB
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...iew-car-and-driver2014-mercedes-benz-s550.pdf

The 2016 CX-5 got69dB
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...2016-mazda-cx-5-25l-awd-instrumented-test.pdf

interestingly.. the 2013 CX-5 also got 69dB

And the 2017 CR-V algo got 69dB
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...iew-car-and-driverhondacr-vawdtouring2017.pdf

Last edited:

thanks Piotrek ! great info, so new CX-9 is pretty quiet on par with Lexus LS600HL and Tesla.

2017 CR-V is like current CX-5, anyone knows the 2017 CX-5 dB rating ?

Last edited:
This might explain why Lexus vehicles are generally heavier, because they have more sound deadening on their cars? Maybe.

To be honest 200-220HP/TQ would make the CX-5 competitive vs that group while severely undercutting them. A non-turbo skyactiv2 engine could probably meet the 200 spec with no radical changes to the current tranny used. A 2.0T could easily get to 220HP, again with the current tranny.

When I heard they are bringing the 2.2 Diesel with 310 lb-ft of torque to the states I thought wow the CX-5 is going to be a legit contender for that mid 30k segment. BMW's and Audi's options skyrockets its price. The Lexus NX starts at 35k. MPGs should be higher as well.
200-220 HP/TQ is good, but I feel like if they are really going for the premium market, they need better than this. It is too easy for reviewers or salesman to put down Mazda as not premium enough because their engine is not up to par with other engines in the luxury segment or at least the segment it is trying to compete in.

200-220 HP/TQ is good, but I feel like if they are really going for the premium market, they need better than this. It is too easy for reviewers or salesman to put down Mazda as not premium enough because their engine is not up to par with other engines in the luxury segment or at least the segment it is trying to compete in.

This is where signature trim or possibly the top Diesel trim will come into play. The CX-5s strength is the low range torque - despite all the bru hahaha on 17 CR-V, it still gets beaten by CX-5 0 -30 by .03 seconds. Another advantage of CX-5 is how assured and linear the response from the skyactiv is.

This is where signature trim or possibly the top Diesel trim will come into play. The CX-5s strength is the low range torque - despite all the bru hahaha on 17 CR-V, it still gets beaten by CX-5 0 -30 by .03 seconds. Another advantage of CX-5 is how assured and linear the response from the skyactiv is.

Dave Coleman stated that when they developed the new turbo 2.5 for the CX-9, they didn't focus on paper spec, but real world performance and said that, at times, these two are at odds with each other. They focused on low end torque, which is where most drivers spend majority of their time during daily driving.

I really think that those who obsessed with paper specs miss the point of what Mazda is doing. While I was researching prior to my CX-5 purchase 2 years ago - I went from a 2003 V6 Highlander to 2016 CX-5. I wanted 4 cylinder for better mileage and was concerned that fewer HP/torque would be noticeable. I compared peak torque vs vehicle weight and the Highlander had better paper spec by about 10%. But when I drove the CX-5 I was not disappointed. I attribute solid performance of the CX-5 to it's low end torque. I've since stop looking at paper spec.

Happy Zoom Zoom

thanks Piotrek ! great info, so new CX-9 is pretty quiet on par with Lexus LS600HL and Tesla.

2017 CR-V is like current CX-5, anyone knows the 2017 CX-5 dB rating ?

From the looks of the Mazda chart, it looks to be similar to the CX-9 - about 65 db maybe?

I agree. Premium buyers want 6 cylinders or a 4 cylinder turbo. A CX-5 with a 2.0T making ~225 HP would be the ticket. They should also fix people to premium gas as well. That was the big marketing mistake with the CX-9. I think that car would sell but more importantly, change the Mazda image.

Dave Coleman stated that when they developed the new turbo 2.5 for the CX-9, they didn't focus on paper spec, but real world performance and said that, at times, these two are at odds with each other. They focused on low end torque, which is where most drivers spend majority of their time during daily driving.

I really think that those who obsessed with paper specs miss the point of what Mazda is doing.

Exactly. Auto journalists are a jaded bunch and their complaints about wanting more power are going to keep a small number of people from test driving it, but I figure the kinds of folks buying towards the bottom end of the comparable luxury marques probably aren't caring much about having shitloads of power anyways (especially in this market segment.)

Just adding the power liftgate is going to gain them two potential customers for every one they lose for not putting the 2.5T in, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Back