The All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 Units Have Arrived in U.S. Ports!

I have no idea how Mazda ships but I know rail is the cheapest method. I worked with a railroad briefly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Actually, barges are cheaper than rail.
Water, rail, then truck, from least to most expensive. You are correct that rail is cheapest where there is no port or river.

I don't know, man. We used to have Japanese and Chinese goods get boated over here to California, get loaded on a train to cross the US, and then get put back on a boat or plane sometimes to finish the journey to Europe. Blew my mind the first time I heard that. It's cheaper to do that...Then to make goods in Europe?
It only takes 6 or 8 people to drive a train from coast to coast.

I don't know, man. We used to have Japanese and Chinese goods get boated over here to California, get loaded on a train to cross the US, and then get put back on a boat or plane sometimes to finish the journey to Europe. Blew my mind the first time I heard that. It's cheaper to do that...Then to make goods in Europe?

Yeah, my info is way old, what they taught me in the 1980's. And the context was bulk goods per pound, per mile.

I had dinner with a CEO of a german company that makes shipping containers. The type that go on boats and trains. Thing that are sold for over 100K euros. He was moving manufacturing to China (west of Shanghai) were the price to manufacture was going to be ~$1500-$2000. Shipping was about 10K and he said they were shipped the way you describe. Boat, train, boat. The price to manufacture in china is very, very low and made it a no brainer.

How much more is the 2017 worth?

I've got a quote for one at the port now. Arrives April 4th. Base Touring model. Sales Price $27,000. OTD $29,500

I can get a new 2016.5 base touring for $22,200 and OTD for $24,500.

Is the 2017 really worth $5,000? Wondering if in 8 years when we sell if we would see our resale value much lower on the 2016.5 because its the older generation.

Need help deciding. We do like the upgrades to the 2017, but $5k is really steep for them.

I've got a quote for one at the port now. Arrives April 4th. Base Touring model. Sales Price $27,000. OTD $29,500

Is the 2017 really worth $5,000? Wondering if in 8 years when we sell if we would see our resale value much lower on the 2016.5 because its the older generation.

Need help deciding. We do like the upgrades to the 2017, but $5k is really steep for them.

If you sell in 8 years the 5000 more you will pay for 17 can only be recovered if:
1. You really like the features and think its worth that premium.
2. In terms of resale it wont be more than 1000 dollars.

So if new car is worth 4000 dollars in terms of features - I think you can answer this. On resale with similar mileage conditions - the difference will be 1K USD. in 8 years your car depreciates so much that 5000 you paid upfront diminishes.

If you check the specs on paper:

Mazda CX-5 2017 and 2016.5 US/NA Spec Comparison

you'll see 2016.5 is bigger in cargo and interior, better on gas mileage. 2017 may have 3 more hp but that's coming from higher rpm. I also feel 1st-gen looks better than 2nd-gen. In addition if you're looking for CX-5 Touring, 2016.5 comes with factory fog lights but not on 2017's. 2017 definitely have more features such as rear AC vents, but you lose out a CD/DVD player. Honestly although Mazda claims the 2nd-gen CX-5 is "all new", but the fact of matter is the power and drive trains are still basically the same. All in all if I were you I'd get a brand-new 2016.5 Touring and run to save $5,000 right now!

I personally would wait for a 2018 CX-5 with better pricing and more bug-fixing. And we definitely want something at least looks different as we already have a 1st-gen CX-5!

Here's another perspective with some alternative views on other's comments. FWIW, I like about everything they've done with the '17 and don't own a '16.5.

• Yes on paper the '16.5 is better on gas, but I'm pretty sure that's only because the EPA changed their model. I'd guess real world mileage will be the same.
• Yes the '16 is better on cargo, but in the real world that's relative to cubic feet because the floor is raised. Horizontal floor space is the same. Also, I don't see any differences in interior space outside of a couple cm of head and shoulder/hip room.
• Judge looks and the CD/DVD on your own since its all about perspective. The extra cost for the updated looks may be worth it to you. Also, I see the CD player argument on these forums, but I think that's a small minority beating the drum. Personally I don't think a CD player matters and the the '17 looks much is better.

Finally I'd recommend asking yourself what will make you most happy? You're the one who has to live with the car.
• Buy the '17 if you really like the features and and saving $$ is not top priority. Personally, I think the '16.5 is a wind tunnel and the interior isn't anything special, thus the '17 NVH, interior and exterior updates make the '17 worth a premium over the '16.5.
• Buy the '16.5 if saving money is the top priority and and can live without the updated features.

Last edited:
I can't imagine sending a cargo boat from Japan to the East Coast. To the West Coast yes. To the Gulf Coast, no.

Ships arrive on the West Coast, then the cargo travels by rail, then transport to the dealer.

On a side note, it seems dealers no NOTHING about this car arrival. Some dealers are saying they should arrive (in my area) by mid April, and another just told me by then end of April. Very frustrating getting conflicting answers.

Just called a dealership in NJ because i saw the 2017 listed on their website.
They were (i guess unofficially) offering me this if I put a $500 deposit down to preorder:
White GT with Premium Package
Price: $32,765 (+tax/tags) 1.9% for 63 months
This includes the $500 mazda loyalty discount.

This seems to basically be MSRP minus destination fee. I've never looked into buying a car at release. is that about right?

just got off the phone from a very reliable source at a Mazda dealership in NY,
Wantagh Mazda in Long Island will be getting in the 2017 CX-5 either today or tomorrow,
so like others have questioned, not sure how the east coast like NY and NJ are getting them so soon, but they are....

per my source, just call them before you go to make sure first they are ready for test drives, they have to be prepped first before they can be driven, ie they're shipped with no fuses, certain fluids need to be added, etc. etc.

here's the info......
Wantagh Mazda is the best dealer in NYC, they don't play stupid games like other dealers,

Contact Information
3180 Sunrise Highway
WANTAGH NY 11793
Phone: (866) 206-7312
Fax: (516) 785-0141
Email: sales@wmazda.com

Last edited:
Yes on paper the '16.5 is better on gas, but I'm pretty sure that's only because the EPA changed their model. I'd guess real world mileage will be the same.
Yeah the EPA did make changes for calculation so as the EPA fuel economy estimates on their web site with adjusted ratings for older vehicles. Here is the link to the testing changes:

2017 Ratings Changes

EPA fuel economy ratings showed at fueleconomy.gov have been adjusted for older model-years to match the revised 2017 calculation. The results for 2016 CX-5's are the highway estimate for AWD downgraded from 30 to 29 mpg. The rest of estimates including FWD didn't change.

fueleconomy.gov said:
EPA is updating its method for calculating the fuel economy shown on new-car window stickers starting with the 2017 model year.

EPA periodically updates its methodology to account for changes in vehicle technologies, driver behavior, and/or driving conditions. The 2008 changes (see below) were broad revisions to the entire methodology that affected every vehicle.

The 2017 change updates some of the calculations used to estimate fuel economy. The new calculations are based on test data from model year 20112016 vehicles. So, they better reflect today's vehicle fleet of more fuel-efficient vehicles and advanced technologies such as hybrids and turbocharged engines.

Most vehicles are not affected by the new calculations. Some fuel economy estimates will decrease by 1 mpg, and a small number may be 2 mpg lower.

View old/new MPG ratings for a specific vehicle.

Visit EPA's website for more detailed information.

Comparing New Vehicles to Older Ones

During the next year, you may see 2016 vehicles with the old fuel economy estimates on the window sticker along side 2017 vehicles with estimates based on the new calculations. To help you compare vehicles with new and older ratings more easily, the estimates in Find and Compare Cars have been adjusted:

The original estimates for model year 20112016 vehicles have been adjusted to match the revised 2017 calculations.
The ratings for most vehicles will be unchanged.
Ratings changes will be small for affected vehicles. Some will go down by 1 to 2 mpg.
Ratings for 20082010 model year vehicles are still based on the 2008 methodology.
Estimates for model years 19842007 have been adjusted to be consistent with the 2008 methodology.

Just called a dealership in NJ because i saw the 2017 listed on their website.
They were (i guess unofficially) offering me this if I put a $500 deposit down to preorder:
White GT with Premium Package
Price: $32,765 (+tax/tags) 1.9% for 63 months
This includes the $500 mazda loyalty discount.

This seems to basically be MSRP minus destination fee. I've never looked into buying a car at release. is that about right?

If you worry about sticker more than the horror of not being able to find the perfect color + trim options - stay away from new release.
It will settle down in 2 months and you can enjoy the car for a little less.

The price you quoted is actually decent, folks are reporting 3000 premium - you have been offered 900 discount.

Ships arrive on the West Coast, then the cargo travels by rail, then transport to the dealer.

On a side note, it seems dealers no NOTHING about this car arrival. Some dealers are saying they should arrive (in my area) by mid April, and another just told me by then end of April. Very frustrating getting conflicting answers.

The dealers want to sell what they have in stock foremost, not a car that they can not deliver today.
The dealers want to get the NEW Models in the showroom, so they can build excitement and show off to other potential customers.
The dealers want to use this first delivery period to take advantage of ADDED DEALER MARKUP.
The dealers want to build an inventory of the new vehicles before any below MSRP deals are made.

Back