"Nappa" leather in Signature trim

Red MC

:
'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited
Hi all,

For those who have compared the 2016/2017 Grand Touring and Signature, is there any difference comfort-wise between the "nappa" leather seating in the Sig vs. the seats in the GT? Or is it just cosmetic?

We're about to buy a new vehicle and after test drives etc. we've narrowed it down to either a CX-9 GT, Pilot Touring, or (gulp) Pacifica van. We're leaning toward the CX-9 GT at this point, but we haven't been able to see the Signature trim in person yet. Our preferred dealer has sold out of them and they are scarce in this area, so I'm trying to decide whether it's worth a longer trip to see one.

Thanks,
Dave

The Nappa is softer and more flexible. The "leather" in the Touring and GT is really leatherette - synthetic.

IMO, it comes down more to what color you prefer. If you really like the auburn, I'd go with the Signature. Other trims just come in the black and sand interiors. There's not a whole lot of price difference between an AWD GT and Signature.

Another thing to note about the Nappa leather is that it smells like leather. If you like that smell and the color, then Nappa is the way to go. I happen the like the nice leather smell.

The Nappa is softer and more flexible. The "leather" in the Touring and GT is really leatherette - synthetic.

You are saying that is not leather in the GT? Please explain... Because Mazda claims that the CX-9 GT is LEATHER

Here is the excerpt from the website on the GT Features ... "Leather-trimmed seats (1st and 2nd-row outboard seating positions)"

I know the TOURING is a LEATHERETTE (Not leather)

Our 2016 cX-5 GT seats are leather. We also purchased a 2014 Mazda6 Touring and it has a vinyl that is obviously different than what I have in my 2015 CX-9 and the CX-5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Different kind of leather. Synthetic vs Nappa. Nappa is softer, more durable and fading wise last longer. I went with Signature if you don't mind auburn and 1k upcharge. Beyond signature also has led ambience lights inside, nit but cool. GT is equally well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are saying that is not leather in the GT? Please explain... Because Mazda claims that the CX-9 GT is LEATHER

Here is the excerpt from the website on the GT Features ... "Leather-trimmed seats (1st and 2nd-row outboard seating positions)"

I know the TOURING is a LEATHERETTE (Not leather)

That is false. They are leather, but as with most cars, not everywhere.
Leather-trimmed seats (1st and 2nd-row outboard seating positions)

Different kind of leather. Synthetic vs Nappa. Nappa is softer, more durable and fading wise last longer. I went with Signature if you don't mind auburn and 1k upcharge. Beyond signature also has led ambience lights inside, nit but cool. GT is equally well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not "synthetic". Real leather; but the Signature has nicer grade leather. Like most other cars, the seat backs, and 3rd row seats are not leather.

Where did you get the "Leatherette" word? It's real leather where you sit. If it's not cloth, then it's leather. Just two different grades.

Although its Nappa leather where you sit I'm pretty sure the lower seat front and siding is NOT leather. I know for sure the storage pockets on the back of the front and passenger seat are NOT leather. It matches well, but when you flip it inside out you can see the fabric and foam backing. I'm not even convinced the backs of the front seats are real leather.

I actually HATE the color of my Signature leather. It's too dark to see anything when I'm in my garage. My old CX-9 had the white LEATHER and made finding dirt and other items much easier on the eyes. Everytime I get in, it's like I'm climbing into a dark dungeon.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but does anyone else have any comfort and seat issues with the drivers seat (in particular Signature)? seems like the backrest is not fully supportive of my back along with narrow sides and uncomfortable head restraint. I'm having issues with back pain, makes the car so less enjoyable

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but does anyone else have any comfort and seat issues with the drivers seat (in particular Signature)? seems like the backrest is not fully supportive of my back along with narrow sides and uncomfortable head restraint. I'm having issues with back pain, makes the car so less enjoyable

Yes I find the seats not as comfy and supportive in my Signature trim...I can live with it though and over time it'll soften. I found the difference right away as coming from my previous Volvo that had one of the best ergonomcally designed seats in the auto industry

Yes I find the seats not as comfy and supportive in my Signature trim...I can live with it though and over time it'll soften. I found the difference right away as coming from my previous Volvo that had one of the best ergonomcally designed seats in the auto industry

Thanks for your response. Ergonamic is a good word for this. Feels like the lumbar support and upper back do not fully support my back and my shoulders are pushed forward. I like to sit close and upright to wheel and only way I can feel somewhat ok is if I'm gangsta leaning all the way back

Thanks for your response. Ergonamic is a good word for this. Feels like the lumbar support and upper back do not fully support my back and my shoulders are pushed forward. I like to sit close and upright to wheel and only way I can feel somewhat ok is if I'm gangsta leaning all the way back

Not sure how Mazda designed their seats but aside from their design I think the other issue is the cushioning...I just find it too firm for my liking...would have preferred it to be softer as right now on short trips it is fine but for long hauls I think it'll be tough for me. Wished they designed it similar to how Volvo's designed their seats (orthopedics involved) that's why I could do long hauls in my previous Volvo for hours without getting sore afterwards. Oh well...

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it's worth checking out the Signature before we make a decision. The other cosmetic enhancements in the Signature aren't important to us since they are offset by the fact that we can't get the Sig in our favorite exterior color (red). But if the leather in the Sig has more of a "real leather" feel, it would be worth it. Good leather breaks in to your body shape and it breathes.

Not sure how Mazda designed their seats but aside from their design I think the other issue is the cushioning...I just find it too firm for my liking...would have preferred it to be softer as right now on short trips it is fine but for long hauls I think it'll be tough for me. Wished they designed it similar to how Volvo's designed their seats (orthopedics involved) that's why I could do long hauls in my previous Volvo for hours without getting sore afterwards. Oh well...

I agree the cushioning is not very generous. I was wondering if it was only a problem with the GT but appears the Signature has the same cushioning. Went with GT with sand interior because Signature did not come in soul red. Also wife did not like the interior color scheme of the Signature. The GT seats felt fine during the test drive and in the show room but on a long drive, it feels like sitting on a board. Wondering if the seat heaters are part of the problem.

I agree the cushioning is not very generous. I was wondering if it was only a problem with the GT but appears the Signature has the same cushioning. Went with GT with sand interior because Signature did not come in soul red. Also wife did not like the interior color scheme of the Signature. The GT seats felt fine during the test drive and in the show room but on a long drive, it feels like sitting on a board. Wondering if the seat heaters are part of the problem.

I doubt heat seaters are the issue...sure it's just the cushioning...my Volvo had heated seats but cushioning and ergonomic design was top notch! I guess that's part of what you get for paying a premium for it on the Vovlo

Mazda seats are padded for sportiness, which some may not like. It's not a mistake by Mazda that they are firm. Super soft seats would clash with what Mazda is about.

Mazda seats are padded for sportiness, which some may not like. It's not a mistake by Mazda that they are firm. Super soft seats would clash with what Mazda is about.
Yes, if you are looking for recliner like comfort, look elsewhere...
Mr-Bean-Driving-on-Top-of-his-car-2.gif

I spent considerable time in a GT and own a Signature. There is no difference comfort wise and in my opinion the leather in the GT feels the same as the nappa leather in the Signature. I would only let your color preference dictate the choice. In my opinion the auburn looks the same in flesh that on picture, it would be hard to be surprised. My wife absolutely wanted to see it before we pulled the trigger and did not like it too much at first, not she adores it.

Touring
GT
Signature
Nappa leather-trimmed seats
Leather trimmed seats (1st and 2nd-row outboard seating positions)

All three trim levels have a very small portion of the seat that is actual leather.(hence the word trimmed) back Sides, headrest are all synthetic. Also why a lot of manufactures are using inserts that are not leather as it adds to the cost of seats.

Touring, GT and Signature have same amount of leather. The only difference is the Signature "type" of leather, and even that can be questioned in how different it truly is. If you like the color of the Signature, go with the signature, if not, go with the GT or Touring. You will get the same amount of leatherette/synthetic leather, which over 90% of the seats, if I had to guess.

But who cares, there are no height and leg adjustments, so this is a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

Back