2017 CX5 DVD/CD player

I have to say that properly ripped CD's will far surpass the abilities of our car stereos. I'm running Carver Amazing Mark IV's in my house, and I cannot hear any difference. I have to drop down to streaming highly-compressed Amazon music to get to the point the music is disappointing, and that music is horribly compressed bandwidth-wise and dynamic range wise.

Even the worst MP3's would have lesser effect than the crappy speakers installed in cars. The tweeters and midranges always have nasty peaks in their response.

Having said that, I'm quite impressed with the GT's no-highs, no lows, system. It's only slightly behind the Infinity system my audi had, and nearly as good as the A-pillar tweeter, door-mid, trunk amplified sub with graphic EQ I put in my honda way back when.

I have to say that properly ripped CD's will far surpass the abilities of our car stereos.

Excellent point but I can easily tell the difference between CD and sub 320kbps bitrate mp3 in both the CX-5 and Mazda6 BOSE systems. 320kbps is that sweet spot in terms of sounding like a CD in the car environment yet could be stored in a drive or on a smart phone. Also want to point out......

320 kpbs music via my Galaxy S3 phone connected to the Mazda Bose unit via Aux cable sounds very good actually. Louder than same songs via CD source. I suspect the phone amplifies the sound a bit.

OK, even if the CD/MP3 sounds the same....

My Grandmothers, and my parents have their collections on CD.

They do not own smart phones or USB sticks.

How will they listen to their music?

(dunno)

Last edited:
OK...buy 'em a stick, show dad how to rip CD's. BE A GOOD SON! lol :D

OK...buy 'em a stick, show dad how to rip CD's. BE A GOOD SON! lol :D
Their new computer has no CD drive, unable to RIP.

(eekdance)

I think it is still too early to kill off the CD. This is the first year Mazda vehicles here in US lose the CD player?

After reviewing spec sheets, it looks like the 2017 Mazda3 and Mazda CX-9 also lose the CD player this year. Whereas the 2017 Mazda6 still has a CD player.

Last edited:
Their new computer has no CD drive, unable to RIP.

(eekdance)

I think it is still too early to kill off the CD. This is the first year Mazda vehicles here in US lose the CD player?

After reviewing spec sheets, it looks like the 2017 Mazda3 and Mazda CX-9 also lose the CD player this year. Whereas the 2017 Mazda6 still has a CD player.

Get an external USB cd drive, they're pretty cheap.

I used to hook this guy up to the cigarette lighter for power and use a tape adapter. Times (and expectations) have changed.
612vintage.promo_.jpg

I used to hook this guy up to the cigarette lighter for power and use a tape adapter. Times (and expectations) have changed.
612vintage.promo_.jpg

I did too! Those CD to cassette tape adapters were terrible but that's all we had.

Back