2017 CX5 DVD/CD player

While I have no problem with mp3 and have been using a USB stick for a lot of my music lately, the lack of a CD player in the 2017 was a big reason I decided not to wait and go with the 2016 CX-5. Caught a bit of flack for it here, but mostly on the Honda CRV forum, where some there ridiculed my desire for a CD player in my car. Yeah, I know how to rip discs, but I'm a music junkie with several thousand CDs at home and really love the format (and the superior sound). As features go, a CD is something that I use nearly every day in my car, which makes it far more important a feature to me than a heated steering wheel or power rear hatch.

There are higher quality audio formats than just MP3 FWIW. Several thousand CD's would be pretty hard to cart around in the CX5 but you could fit a ton of them on an external or thumb drive.

I have my entire music collection ripped to lossless FLAC format at home and those to OGG Vorbis for mobile use which appears to be compatible with Mazda's infotainment system according to this link:

http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/entertainment-usb?language=en-NA

Playable data includes: MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG files.

Have a look at the wiki on the format for more information, it might just open up a brave new world for you ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg

Otherwise I have to somewhat agree with Werechull, even in the now quieter 2017 CX5 with wind, motor, tire etc noise and using a higher quality music format, you'd have a hard time convincing me you could hear a difference between an OGG file and CD. The noise floor just isn't there to hear the difference when driving.

Last edited:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that it's virtually impossible to hear the difference between a CD and a well-ripped mp3 (or flac/ogg/whatever) file in a car. Hell, most would have a hard time telling the difference on a top flight home system, provided the rip was of high enough quality. It's just that I'm often impulsive and will grab a disc or two each day to throw in the car. The "convenience" for me is not having to rip my entire music collection.

Speaking of, I haven't "experimented" much, but it didn't seem like my FLAC files played in the CX-5 audio system. I haven't specifically tried OGG, WMA or ACC only because I have relatively few files in that format.

Anyone know how surround-encoded discs/files might play through the Bose "surround?" Maybe I'll test that out this weekend.

Speaking of, I haven't "experimented" much, but it didn't seem like my FLAC files played in the CX-5 audio system. I haven't specifically tried OGG, WMA or ACC only because I have relatively few files in that format.

Anyone know how surround-encoded discs/files might play through the Bose "surround?" Maybe I'll test that out this weekend.

According to the owner's manual for the 2016.5 CX-5 with the 'type B' display, MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG files are supported.

Forget about mp3's even. A lot of people now are streaming their music through Bluetooth. Whether it be Apple Music, Google, Pandora, Spotify, etc. Personally haven't used a CD or played an mp3 in years.

The problem with some of those sources you mentioned is the compression used. This can have a huge effect on the sound quality.

The problem with some of those sources you mentioned is the compression used. This can have a huge effect on the sound quality.
This. Not to mention using data, areas of no signal, etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This. Not to mention using data, areas of no signal, etc.

All of the streaming services have offline downloading functionality. For example, my Spotify app has currently 2,468 songs downloaded to my phone (at 320kbps bitrate). No need to use mobile data.

I do not know how I can tell, but I can tell LOL.

I too, have 2 pairs of those Sony MDR-7506's

I can hear minute difference, and I also sense flickering in things others do not see... Maybe my internal processor is at a different hz

I am not crazy...my parents had me tested!

I can hear minute difference, and I also sense flickering in things others do not see... Maybe my internal processor is at a different hz

Flickering as in 60hz lighting and the flickering that occurs in some monitors? I get that too but I've never been tested...

I do enjoy my Audio-Technica ATH-A700's though.

I have the same feeling about CDs. My best 'phones are Audio Technica ATH-70 Electret Headphones and CDs thru these 'phones makes a difference you can hear. I too have a large CD collection and am still buying more. Sure I have an iPod and an iTunes account. The former allows me to have music where I want it; mowing the lawn is better with lower quality music than no music so I use it with ear buds under industrial hearing protectors. iTunes allows me to get individual tracks from old albums which have become rare or are out of catalogue. I'm not a snob; I still have a turntable and vinyl. Even with the Mazda Bose system in the poor CX-5 interior environment my ears hear the difference between my iPod and the CD the music came from.

I still remain hopeful as photos of the new interior do show what looks like a CD slot on the dash. Losing the player would not prevent me from buying a new CX-5, but I would be looking into adding a CD changer or break down and do research into making copies in a head unit compatible loss-less codex.

This whole topic may be an old-fart issue. My son does not own a stereo system, uses his cell phone for music, and although he accepts that CDs through quality electronics sound different, understands not why anyone would care.

Brian

All of the streaming services have offline downloading functionality. For example, my Spotify app has currently 2,468 songs downloaded to my phone (at 320kbps bitrate). No need to use mobile data.

This.

At this bitrate, with Vorbis as Spotify uses, any differences are going to be up to the hardware involved and listening environment.

Your're saying one could subscribe to spotify and not use their cell phone plan's data...oh and at 320kbps bitrate? How much is this?

The better quality sound gear you have the greater difference you can tell in source quality. Good sources sound really good and bad sources will sound degraded. On cheap low end cans the difference is diminished. Some say this is why Apple ships cheap yet overpriced headphones that allow lower bitrate music to sound good. Where in reality a better quality headphone would exploit poor mp3 rips. In your case the Sony MDR-7506 is whats used in professional television studios and in recording studios. Had been for a few decades now.

Your're saying one could subscribe to spotify and not use their cell phone plan's data...oh and at 320kbps bitrate? How much is this?

Yup, that's right! I have my spotify set to sync when I open the app on wifi only (not cellular). Any playlists I've subscribed to (or modified on my computer) will automatically sync where I've set to download them.

Spotify here in Canada is either $9.99/mo for an individual account, or $14.99/mo for a family account which allows for either 5 or 6 unique users to use.

I was against streaming ("renting") music for so long until I tried it... now I listen to so much more music than I ever did. Discovered so much more because I can follow curated playlists.

Yup, that's right! I have my spotify set to sync when I open the app on wifi only (not cellular). Any playlists I've subscribed to (or modified on my computer) will automatically sync where I've set to download them.

Spotify here in Canada is either $9.99/mo for an individual account, or $14.99/mo for a family account which allows for either 5 or 6 unique users to use.

I was against streaming ("renting") music for so long until I tried it... now I listen to so much more music than I ever did. Discovered so much more because I can follow curated playlists.

What is the download lifespan. Example: downloading a rental movie from Apple you've got like 24-48 hours to watch it.

What is the download lifespan. Example: downloading a rental movie from Apple you've got like 24-48 hours to watch it.

You can keep downloads (or streaming) for as long as you subscribe to the service. Basically, paying the monthly fee gives you rights to listen and cache their entire library of ~25 million songs while you're subscribing to their service.

I was the same way. Most music only gets an occasional listen to, then I'm on to the next. If I really, really enjoy something.... I'll buy it on vinyl.

There's a few notable holdouts... Thom Yorke and Taylor Swift come to mind. Fewer and fewer though.

Yea, you're not renting like a movie. Personally I use Pandora and stream. Or use my own huge collection which I have ripped to my computer and synched to my phone. I still believe in buying music.

Wife does not and has Spotify. I occasionally use her account, not on the family plan.

I also use a few other things, like the little known Hoopla. With a library card, most libraries support this. This is totally free music you can borrow just like from a library for up to 2 or 3 weeks. You can also get Movies and digital comics. Works with Chromecast so you can cast borrowed movies to your TV. Downloads use no data. Different libraries have different deals. I can 'borrow' up to 99 things at a time.

I cut the cable last year. I am all over this stuff. ;)

https://www.hoopladigital.com/

Back