2017 CX5 DVD/CD player

Mattyredsox

:
1990 Eunos (Mazda) V-Special Roadster (sold), 2014 Mazda CX-5 Pr
Here's the DVD/CD slot on a new 2017 CX5 with mid level (Proactive) trim. These is a Japanese one, so I'm not sure if the RoW is getting it or not, but we are!
photo.php

Damn. Can somebody tell me how to upload a photo from my phone... LOL

I have been looking hard at all of the videos, domestic and foreign, and it appears that North America does not get a CD player, but Japan does...

I have been looking hard at all of the videos, domestic and foreign, and it appears that North America does not get a CD player, but Japan does...

CD's are still very popular in Japan. I'm not sure I have ever used the cd player in my cx-5

CD's are still very popular in Japan. I'm not sure I have ever used the cd player in my cx-5

CD's sound so much better to me than MP3's on the CX-5 BOSE.... please try it sometime with your favorite CD...

That's because CDs are a superior source over mp3's.

With proper MP3 encoding it's a stretch for most to hear a difference. MP3s vary considerably because of bitrate, which can sometimes be low enough to impact audio quality.

And superior is subjective... sound quality, maybe. In most other aspects? Not so much (for example, I much prefer having thousands of MP3s on one device instead of 18 songs on one CD).

Last edited:
With proper MP3 encoding it's a stretch for most to hear a difference. MP3s vary considerably because of bitrate, which can sometimes be low enough to impact audio quality.

And superior is subjective... sound quality, maybe. In most other aspects? Not so much (for example, I much prefer having thousands of MP3s on one device instead of 18 songs on one CD).
Agreed.

I have listened for myself the same song on HD radio, MP3, and CD back to back to back. Since I can notice the difference, I prefer CD myself for my enthusiast listening... For ease of use, the MP3 is tough to beat... But I enjoy having the choice. If the 2017 CX-5 does not have a CD player, it will be a strike against it for me.

That's because CDs are a superior source over mp3's.

Forget about mp3's even. A lot of people now are streaming their music through Bluetooth. Whether it be Apple Music, Google, Pandora, Spotify, etc. Personally haven't used a CD or played an mp3 in years.

The sound is richer/fuller as well as more consistent on CDs. MP3's do make things convenient but I find they can be inconsistent in quality. 320kbps MP3 files is what I try to use. Anything less is very noticeable to me especially when using audiophile centric headphones.

Forget about mp3's even. A lot of people now are streaming their music through Bluetooth. Whether it be Apple Music, Google, Pandora, Spotify, etc. Personally haven't used a CD or played an mp3 in years.

Is Apple still using bitrate at 256 kbps? I know Google and Spotify offers 320.

Is Apple still using bitrate at 256 kbps? I know Google and Spotify offers 320.

Yeah Apple Music uses 256kbps, but they use AAC which is apparently equivalent to a 320kbps MP3 (or so I've heard claimed).

While I have no problem with mp3 and have been using a USB stick for a lot of my music lately, the lack of a CD player in the 2017 was a big reason I decided not to wait and go with the 2016 CX-5. Caught a bit of flack for it here, but mostly on the Honda CRV forum, where some there ridiculed my desire for a CD player in my car. Yeah, I know how to rip discs, but I'm a music junkie with several thousand CDs at home and really love the format (and the superior sound). As features go, a CD is something that I use nearly every day in my car, which makes it far more important a feature to me than a heated steering wheel or power rear hatch.

While I have no problem with mp3 and have been using a USB stick for a lot of my music lately, the lack of a CD player in the 2017 was a big reason I decided not to wait and go with the 2016 CX-5. Caught a bit of flack for it here, but mostly on the Honda CRV forum, where some there ridiculed my desire for a CD player in my car. Yeah, I know how to rip discs, but I'm a music junkie with several thousand CDs at home and really love the format (and the superior sound). As features go, a CD is something that I use nearly every day in my car, which makes it far more important a feature to me than a heated steering wheel or power rear hatch.

If I had a collection like that it probably would've swayed my decision a bit too. That said my collection is 50/50. I don't buy CDs anymore.

Nothing beats listening to a CD using quality accurate audiophile headphones (no not Beats by Dre) within a quiet room. The clarity and detail is there. Going from that into a car cabin environment, driving, with lesser quality car speakers, and MP3....is like going from 1080P Blu-Ray to 480P DVD.

320 MP3 is the closest in terms of meeting quality/convenience while driving.

CDs in the car ups the quality aspect at the expense of convenience...something some of us are willing to give up.

Percent of people who can hear the difference between a well-ripped mp3 and a CD in a quiet room with good headphones = very small.
Percent of people who can hear that difference while driving in a Mazda? Zero.

EDIT: That comes across as pretty arrogant, so sorry about that. I do think it'd be very difficult to hear the difference in a moving car, particularly one that's not known for being quiet. Maybe in a luxury electric vehicle?

Last edited:
Percent of people who can hear the difference between a well-ripped mp3 and a CD in a quiet room with good headphones = very small.
Percent of people who can hear that difference while driving in a Mazda? Zero.

EDIT: That comes across as pretty arrogant, so sorry about that. I do think it'd be very difficult to hear the difference in a moving car, particularly one that's not known for being quiet. Maybe in a luxury electric vehicle?

No not arrogant at all. Very spot on actually.

Consider this. When I bought my Sennheiser Momentum headphones a couple years ago, I broke them in over the course of 1 week straight. I purposely didn't listen to them for 1 week. Instead had them hooked up to computer and ran HZ sweeps, various songs, and white noise. After that 1 week I then spent hours listening and comparing them to other headphones. Listening to songs and playing with EQ settings. Comparing designs and spec sheets. Researching online for hours on end reviews. I guess I'm in the 1 percent of the population that actually does this.

No not arrogant at all. Very spot on actually.

Consider this. When I bought my Sennheiser Momentum headphones a couple years ago, I broke them in over the course of 1 week straight. I purposely didn't listen to them for 1 week. Instead had them hooked up to computer and ran HZ sweeps, various songs, and white noise. After that 1 week I then spent hours listening and comparing them to other headphones. Listening to songs and playing with EQ settings. Comparing designs and spec sheets. Researching online for hours on end reviews. I guess I'm in the 1 percent of the population that actually does this.

Can't say I've done that.

I do enjoy my Audio-Technica ATH-A700's though. It was an extremely noticeable improvement over old headphones I had. They are about 5 years old though. Need to see if I can find some replacement ear pads.

Can't say I've done that.

I do enjoy my Audio-Technica ATH-A700's though. It was an extremely noticeable improvement over old headphones I had. They are about 5 years old though. Need to see if I can find some replacement ear pads.

Yeah Audio-Technica makes really good headphones. Can't remember if they got bought out? For a person in the market for good audiophile headphones right now, the Sony MDR7506 and Audio Technica ATH-M50x would be the top recommendations. Listen to a song in sub 256 mp3 then the same song in CD format with any of those 2 headphones and you'll hear a difference.

Back