2016 Tank capacity

SDL

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
How many gallons does it take to fill up the tank? Manual says this car has 19.5 gallons, but I usually fill it up with a lot less than that. (between 13-14 gal). Range is usually around 350m for a tank full of gas.

=350/23.4 ~ 15 gal capacity... If it were 19.5 gal, the range should've been more like 456 miles.

Curious.. what are your numbers?

6aWo7wx.jpg

How many gallons does it take to fill up the tank? Manual says this car has 19.5 gallons, but I usually fill it up with a lot less than that. (between 13-14 gal). Range is usually around 350m for a tank full of gas.

=350/23.4 ~ 15 gal capacity... If it were 19.5 gal, the range should've been more like 456 miles.

Curious.. what are your numbers?

6aWo7wx.jpg

buffer? for my old honda car, when the warning lights comes on, i know i have about 10L of gas left.

Someone mentioned that before that the "reserve" would be about 60 miles or 3 gallons (roughly 10L), but I still haven't been able to find any documentation on it.

I have a 2012 CX-9 with a 21 gallon tank. I usually fill it when the gage gets below a quarter, and it typically takes 14.5 - 15.5 gallons. If I wait until the red warning light comes on and there is like 30 miles of range left it will take 17.75 gallons to fill it. Clearly there is a buffer. It is a good idea to fill your tank before it gets too much below a quarter. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and is cooled by the gas, if you let it overheat it will fail and that is a costly repair. There are plenty of articles on the internet about fuel pumps failing because drivers constantly let the gas level go too low, and I have a colleague that had this happen, so its not just bs to make you keep the tank full.

On the CX-5's I have driven, when you reach the Distance To Empty =0, there is still 2 gallons of usable fuel remaining in the tank. While there may be still even more available, it will depend on the angle of your vehicle as to if it will be available for the fuel pump to pick it up...

2 gallons at 20mpg that's ~40 miles, and at 30 mpg that's ~60 miles...

To safely utilize this spare DTE=0 fuel, you must be alert as to when this DTE=0 level occurs, and then set your TRIP odometer so that you can easily count and track your Distance PAST Empty... If you were to notice after the DTE was already at zero, you will have no idea how far you have travelled... All of this of course is for info only, and it is not recommended to get fuel levels this low, which is why there is a generous safety net provided by Mazda, but perhaps this might be handy knowledge for someone who "needs" to know for emergency purposes...

Back