3rd Party remote start problems

Benchmark11

:
2016 Mazda GT CX-9
We've had our CX-9 for a few weeks now. Biggest thing we miss from our previous car is the remote start on cold mornings. So the dealer offered to install a 3rd party remote start; not the app one that everyone hates for $450. I called around my local installers and got a couple of competitive prices much lower than the dealer. One sold me when they told me the one they sell plugs in (plug n play) with my factory computer and no wire cutting or soldering needed. The company is Compustar and they make a remote start that works with my Mazda Key Fob. Hit lock 3 times and car starts. Sound great, worked great. BUT... Shortly after leaving we lost our Navigation and got a warning light saying Smart City Brake Malfunction. We brought it back and they got the Navigation running, and the warning light to go away. Next day the Smart City light came on, then off, then on , then off. This morning, the Cruise control would not work. No matter what you did, it would not set. Just when it couldn't get any worse, my wife is driving down the back roads coming home and the car slams into a sudden stop with BRAKE flashing on the dashboard. The electric emergency brake engaged and brought the car from 40mph to 0 in seconds. As side from the whiplash, i asked her if by chance, she clicked the switch (bad place for it) and she said yelled at me "BOTH her hands were on the wheel!"

So apparently the company is aware of the Smart City Braking. But the list has grown. It went in in minutes and will come out in minutes when i have it taken out tomorrow.

Anyone have this installed in their CX-9?

Far too many electronics and sensors to install anything but OEM starters and electronics. That's why I paid the price for the Mazda one, even though it would cost more....they know exactly how the systems electronics work.. Good luck getting that thing out!

We've had our CX-9 for a few weeks now. Biggest thing we miss from our previous car is the remote start on cold mornings. So the dealer offered to install a 3rd party remote start; not the app one that everyone hates for $450. I called around my local installers and got a couple of competitive prices much lower than the dealer. One sold me when they told me the one they sell plugs in (plug n play) with my factory computer and no wire cutting or soldering needed. The company is Compustar and they make a remote start that works with my Mazda Key Fob. Hit lock 3 times and car starts. Sound great, worked great. BUT... Shortly after leaving we lost our Navigation and got a warning light saying Smart City Brake Malfunction. We brought it back and they got the Navigation running, and the warning light to go away. Next day the Smart City light came on, then off, then on , then off. This morning, the Cruise control would not work. No matter what you did, it would not set. Just when it couldn't get any worse, my wife is driving down the back roads coming home and the car slams into a sudden stop with BRAKE flashing on the dashboard. The electric emergency brake engaged and brought the car from 40mph to 0 in seconds. As side from the whiplash, i asked her if by chance, she clicked the switch (bad place for it) and she said yelled at me "BOTH her hands were on the wheel!"

So apparently the company is aware of the Smart City Braking. But the list has grown. It went in in minutes and will come out in minutes when i have it taken out tomorrow.

Anyone have this installed in their CX-9?

I had a Compustar 2-way remote start installed by my Mazda dealer when I picked up our CX9 2 months ago...so far no issues like the one you indicated. It may be the way it was installed in your vehicle...our mazda dealer claims that they install a lot of these in vehicles they sell and doesn't void any warranties as mazda has authorized them. The only thing I noticed is that when you remote start the vehicle, while engine running, the warning "smart city brake system malfunction" is flashing on the dash then once you unlock/open the door the engine shuts off (which is a safety feature programmed by mazda).

However, when you start the vehicle after it shuts off (from inside the cabin) then all systems are back to normal, knock on wood but the smart city brakes have never engaged on us yet while driving. My fear was when I bought the vehicle brand new was I didn't want another installer to put in the compustar for fear of them not installing it properly and could void any warranties that's why I had our mazda dealer install it due to the familiarity.

Compustar brand is great and I've had good experience with this brand even in the past...I think your issue is more of the way it was installed whether it was done correctly or not that needs to be verified.

...... my wife is driving down the back roads coming home and the car slams into a sudden stop with BRAKE flashing on the dashboard. The electric emergency brake engaged and brought the car from 40mph to 0 in seconds. As side from the whiplash, i asked her if by chance, she clicked the switch (bad place for it) and she said yelled at me "BOTH her hands were on the wheel!"

UPDATE: read into it a bit and it wasn't the electric emergency brake engaging but the Collision Warning System. The car thought she was about to heave a collision so it applied the brakes.... As i said, there was nothing in front of her and thank God, no one behind her.

I have the compustar module installed in my 2016 Grand touring. I also added the Drone Mobile app for remote starting from my phone. It has been two months with no issues. There is no plug n play option for the cx9. At minimum with a factory harness about three wires need splicing. The remote start for the cx9 is the same as the cx5 push to start models.

Update: The company is aware of the issue and advised the installer to roll back the firmware. So far so good.

Far too many electronics and sensors to install anything but OEM starters and electronics. That's why I paid the price for the Mazda one, even though it would cost more....they know exactly how the systems electronics work.. Good luck getting that thing out!

+1 to what he said

Back