Another New CX-5 Owner

... I've only owned 2 cars that couldn't pull a sub 7 second 0-60 though, and half of my cars were deep into or below the 5 second barrier.
LOL! Well there is your problem! (pullup)

Your limited experience with normal driving vehicles is obviously coloring your opinion. Mine is just the opposite, of the ~25 cars I have owned, only 2 of them could do 0-60 under 7 seconds...

Had my 2016 CX-5 AWD for 1-1/2 years now. Love it to death and amazed how it constantly exceeds advertised MPG. I average 27 MPG commuting to work , 31 + on interstates. Oh congrats on the new car, beautiful color.

Yup, I find the mileage to to be the bonus to the nice handling. Or maybe it is the other way around! Regardless, having a nice handling car with good gas mileage is a nice thing!

LOL! Well there is your problem! (pullup)

Your limited experience with normal driving vehicles is obviously coloring your opinion. Mine is just the opposite, of the ~25 cars I have owned, only 2 of them could do 0-60 under 7 seconds...

Exactly. I hate CUV's. But I also hate the dentist. But sometimes, we need to live with the things we hate. That's why I feel how I do about the CX5 and why I begrudgingly accept it into my life. It answers the mail for my current needs.

You are on here an awful lot for someone who's very 'meh' about his car but that's fine just an observation. Another one is that I completely understand after owning cars with orders of magnitude greater performance that you're pretty 'meh' about the Mazda. Assuming you don't have some other form of driving entertainment at your disposal I'm sure its not always easy to get by on just a good driving toaster so in way whether or not you wanted it like that I sympathize from an enthusiasts' standpoint. Based on that I also understand you didn't feel the need to spend countless hours (as I inevitably always do) mulling/driving/mulling every conceivable option even in a boring segment. Having said that when you grade this vehicle based on how it drives vs. its peers, it simply stands above. If you're willing to go a little more boring - the CR-V is the practical choice in segment. I'd still choose Mazda.
No disagreement at all. I have learned a lot on this forum about how to care for my toaster!

That said, yeah, when I went to the lot, my goals were "better mileage than my HEMI, reliable, AWD, SUV type." I nailed it with the CX5. However, the athleticism doesn't really sell me, as it's all a soup sandwich. Of course, there are "never" things like the Forester 2.5i's 0-60 of "when I get there..." that absolutely were deal killers from just a safety standpoint, for me.

I value my CX-5 for its utilitarianism.

As to my 22.5mpg average, with 3/4 of my driving on the highway, I am wondering if the Cross Contact LX20 tires might be to blame? That's all I can think of.

Part of the reason I never did any "real" research is that I'm constantly learning and keeping an open mind. I pretty much knew most of what there was to know about CUV's at that point, just like I've kept up with trucks, sedans, and sports cars. For example, I know the Camaro SS is a GREAT! match for the GT350, at $15K less. I know that the Chevy 1500 is still what I'd pick over the Ford because their Ecoboost has issues. I know that the SRT8 Jeep is much more reliable than the Explorer Sport, and about a full second quicker in every matrix. I know that the new Civic Type R is coming to America, but sadly is FWD only and looks rather weaksauce from some angles. I know that the WRX is putting down similar 0-60's as it's STi big brother because of the extra shift the STi driver has to make. I know that the 4Runner has once again topped charts for reliability. I mean, I can't tell you option packages for all these, but I have a pretty solid "general sense of things" if you were to force me onto a car-lot and make me make decisions at any given time. So I saw the CX-5, Googled real fast to confirm a few things, (wanted timing chain, NOT belt, wanted to know the AWD was full-time, and wanted to be sure that the 2.5L car was getting reliable marks like the 2.0 did when I first looked at the CX-5 in my spare time). So no, it wasn't some totally willy-nilly thing. I don't do s*** that way.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Oh and.......

"They may take away our CX-5's, but they'll never take our freedom!"

-William Wallace.

I've owned both and am totally neutral. Why do you hate leather?
Cold in Winter. Hot in summer. I don't use AC much so when I'm driving with the windows down in August, I'm sticking to the seat....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cold in Winter. Hot in summer. I don't use AC much so when I'm driving with the windows down in August, I'm sticking to the seat....

Ah, my recent vehicles have all had alcantara seats, or faux alcantara (feels the same to a poor kid like me), and I had none of those issues. If you have "regular leather", yeah, I can totally identify, as the cars I had before (Trans Am, Corvette, Infiniti) had the pleather (very few cars use REAL leather, it's usually leather-faced cloth, and the wanna be rich-kid in me likes to make the distinction), can do exactly as you say.

We're good unob- that's basically what I was saying I know you ain't no fool:) I am still baffled by your crappy mileage and I don't know if you saw one of my previous about those tires sucking. Reviews and even tests are pretty good but I thought they were way soft and did hurt mileage and handling of our old gas guzzling, crappy handling Pilot..your toaster deserves better!

You probably saw this on TR but maybe you didn't- pretty big diff in mpg vs. Pirelli...I don't think they're your only problem but they're not helping:

Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology 22.7 660.8 -3.1%
Hankook Dynapro HP2 23.1 649.4 -1.3%
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus 23.4 641.0 --

Last edited:
Ah, my recent vehicles have all had alcantara seats, or faux alcantara (feels the same to a poor kid like me), and I had none of those issues. If you have "regular leather", yeah, I can totally identify, as the cars I had before (Trans Am, Corvette, Infiniti) had the pleather (very few cars use REAL leather, it's usually leather-faced cloth, and the wanna be rich-kid in me likes to make the distinction), can do exactly as you say.

I don't know what kind of leather was in some of the previous vehicles I drove, but they all had the hot/cold issue. It really turned me off to leather as a feature.

I don't even know what alcantera is. I know the Mazda leather feels way more premium then I expected and I hate to say: nicer then my Saab.

We're good unob- that's basically what I was saying I know you ain't no fool:) I am still baffled by your crappy mileage and I don't know if you saw one of my previous about those tires sucking. Reviews and even tests are pretty good but I thought they were way soft and did hurt mileage of our old gas guzzling Pilot..your toaster deserves better!

You probably saw this on TR but maybe you didn't- pretty big diff in mpg vs. Pirelli...I don't think they're your only problem but they're not helping:

Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology 22.7 660.8 -3.1%
Hankook Dynapro HP2 23.1 649.4 -1.3%
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus 23.4 641.0 --

Ouch, no, I was unaware. I did a ton of research on them and chose them for performance mainly in ice/snow. When talking about 30mpg, the difference well could extrapolate to 2-3. When it's time to upgrade, I will be dumping them. TY!

I don't even know what alcantera is. I know the Mazda leather feels way more premium then I expected and I hate to say: nicer then my Saab.

It's that swank furry stuff that's also leather. Here:
McLaren_650S_coup%E2%80%9A_1680.jpg

Good to know on the tires as well. I have some Conti DSW (don't remember the name, has been installed for the last two winters) on my wagon that I really like. I will have to not be so brand loyal on the CX-5 tires lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alcantera is a FAUX SUEDE

DW/DWS are different animals- although I had DW on my 1er- they definitely gripped well and smoothed out the ride but also found them a bit too soft under load for my liking.

Well I know where to look for advice when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am kinda of a tire (and ipa) snob, but happy to help! As with beer though tire tastes are very subjective. People tend to love Michelins for their long life and nice ride, any Michelin I've had has been hazardous in anything other than warm and dry, handling is controlable sloppy. That's just a general point of reference and I have limited experience with their more recent or hp offerings.

I am kinda of a tire (and ipa) snob, but happy to help! As with beer though tire tastes are very subjective. People tend to love Michelins for their long life and nice ride, any Michelin I've had has been hazardous in anything other than warm and dry, handling is controlable sloppy. That's just a general point of reference and I have limited experience with their more recent or hp offerings.

I had pilot super sports on my 370z. They replaced oem Bridgestone potenzas. They were a bit softer riding, offered better traction and progressive break away in corners, and most importantly could be driven in the rain without hydroplaning above 50mph. Treadlife was similar, lasting roughly 15k miles. I also found them much less cold natured as traction was not compromised much until below freezing.

Back