Would you still buy?

Br4hm4

:
none currently
Looking at picking up a 2008 Mazda 5 with around 90K miles on it today. For those long time owners...would you say it's still worth buying? I doubt it will be a long term car, maybe another 30-45K miles, but I hope that it is reliable since it will be my daily driver. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

In my opinion, the 2008 5 is a VERY solid vehicle. I've had unbelievable luck with mine 424,000km+ as of today (260,000mi+). That being said, before you purchase any used vehicle, all of the usual checks need to be taken. Just because it is a proven solid vehicle design, doesn't mean it wasn't abused and may have problems and expenses that crop up.

Solid powertrain, though the AT does need more care. Motor mounts, brake pads/rotors shocks/struts and more of the rubber suspension OE parts are worse than aftermarket replacement parts. Oh yeah, the darker paints will burn the clearcoat off in the sun in only a few years, even with religious paint care. But they are still very good compact cars that seat more than the 4 you can fit in a Corolla.

Got an '07 tho, w/ 145k miles. Just as most have mentioned there are/will be parts that most likely will need to be replaced or already wearing down. Besides what's been mentioned, I would add thermostat and alternator as expected to wear out soon. Also check the serpentine belt for wear. I would ask the seller for what they have recently repaired and/or replaced. Always best to have a mechanic check for you if accessible.

MZ5 is a great vehicle. There are just parts that are common to wear and tear at that mileage. "Take care of it, and it will take care of you".

Except for a TCM (transmission computer) failure, ours has been perfectly reliable, and I am thinking of getting another.

114k miles on mine and no reason to believe it won't go years yet. Buying that specific one would totally depend on price and condition, but if all checks out I wouldn't hesitate.

Back