Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.

Thread: Water Pump replacement - what's this job like?

Water Pump replacement - what's this job like?

I have an older thread about the smell of coolant. Well, changed the oil Saturday and since I had to remove the "skid plate" I saw where all this water has been going. I followed the dried water trail back to the pump, but from what I could see, it looks buried in there pretty well. Anyone do this job and can give me tips and suggestions?
    04 Volvo V70 T5 MT
    00 Odyssey EX (just totaled)
    01 Outback LL Bean (just totaled)
    97 Accord EX wagon (replaced by V70 T5)
    93 Subaru Legacy L (replaced by Mazda5)
    90 CRX 5MT (Happy Trails)
    90 T-Bird SC 5MT (RIP)
    84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z clone (RIP)
    68 Plymouth Barracuda notchback Slant Six (RIP)

Tried to get the water pump changed today. Might I suggest that if yours begins to fail, you sell the vehicle? I ordered the pump ages ago and when it arrived, I saw that the pump just literally just pops right into the block right behind the thermostat. No gasket, just an o-ring. Looks like a pretty thoughtful design. And I think it is, when the block is on a stand. In reality, the pump is DEAD CENTER against the frame. The pulley is about 4" and the top of it is about even with the top of the frame rail. There is about 1 1/4" between the pulley and the frame. Not enough to put a ratchet into to remove the pulley bolts. Box wrench was moving the pulley against the belt, so I decided to remove the pump and pull the pulley off outside the car. Started to remove the pump bolts with an 8mm box wrench. The pulley interferes. So I thought I could pull the pump out 3/8" to meet how far the bolts go, then remove the bolts more, pull the pump to meet that new distance, etc until the bolts are free. The O ring keeps it all nice and tight in there, so it wasn't budging. Used a screwdriver sized chisel got about 1/8" before I realized that the pump innards are deeper than 1 1/4" which is all the space you have, even if the pump pulley is removed. I fear jacking the motor up a good 4" will stress all the components that run btw the powertrain and the body - like exhaust, A/C lines, half-shafts. So I have an even GREATER fear that all of that has to come OUT just to do a $30 water pump that is completely external and readily accessible!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 6 - auto

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
    Box wrench was moving the pulley against the belt,
    May be some thing like this would help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDqDM4SCc2U (uses long screw driver to hold pulley in place). I haven't tried it myself, tell us how it works out.

Registered Member

Did you try pressure testing the cooling system to double confirm where the coolant leak is coming from. I would want to be 110% sure it was the water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 Mazda5 Sport, 130K miles

Since the belt is off, I really should pull the alternator and look back there to see exactly where the FL22 is weeping. I guess its possible its coming from the Tstat housing, and with how I don't like the idea of jacking the engine up 3", this would be a good call.

Thanks
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

I know this is an old thread but thought I would give it a shot.
    Where you ever able to replace your water pump? If so how did you do it?
    I am in the same situation now with my 2008 Mazda 5. I got the water pump loose but not enough room to pull it out from the block.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Justin

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

Ugh. Sounds like a job for a shop when the inevitable time comes.

I hate transverse engines.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54MaHhC7HA

I ran across this. Isn't the 3 the same as the 5? He took the pulley off first. Everything was a tight fit but worked.