transmission Questions

:
2003 protege 5
Hi Folks,
Anyone know how much fluid the transmission holds ,I have taken off the pan ,will i need to put in the maximum amount that it holds,also should I replace the filter while the pan is off and is it easy to fill the transmission.How do I measure the amount thats in the transmission

Sportronic? Mine holds like 9 qts plus I have hayden stacked plate tranny cooler so i may be closer to 10. If you just drained pan and did filter that should take about 3 qts to top off. You can kinda do flush if you drain pan and drive it a little then drain/fill a couple of times. The torque converter is where most of the fluid is and that doesn't drain just removing pan. Fill and check level with dipstick below the brake mstr cylinder on top of trans. mine has orange top on it, a rubber plug thing, no loop like on eng dipstick.

thanks guys ,hi Paul, so there is a dipstick sheees never saw that i can remember ,will have to look,well my trans pan has a hole in it car has been leaking not sure how long but it has been slipping guess thats the reason.Just a question can i drive it without the pan on the trans to drain it ,doesnt seem right to me and whats the best to use to fill ,have read that Redline is good but not sure if available in canada

I don't know if you can drive/run the car without the pan... That sounds really wrong...

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be completely drained...

I remember reading that some guys even keep their old ATF and put it back in... If it's never been changed, new ATF can mess the transmission right up.

Some guys would change out a couple liters at a time, then run it to allow the tranny to adjust.

certainly dont want to mess the trans up,half of my fluid went on ground and some drained out of the rusty pan hole,so maybe have a quart left. from what i have seen the hole is on top of trans to refill is that correct

If your ATF isn't all brown and doesn't smell burnt then you've got a much better chance of having no problems.

I don't know about brand... A lot of guys use Redline gear oil for their standard transmission.

I would say its the dipstick hole is where to replace oil, the fluid looks brown dirty ,but while it was draining from under car it looked red in the light cant remember if it smelled bad which might be a good thing,didnt smell burnt to my knowledge.

Just dump the fluid that's left in the pan and install the new one.. No need to fool with trying to flush or drain the torque converter. You can't drive it without the pan, and don't try to.

Just fill it with Walmart or Valvoline ATF. The fluid type is stamped on the dipstick. Fill through the dipstick tube. With any luck you haven't hurt anything the trans.

You'll need to fill it close to capacity, start the engine, put it in drive and reverse a couple times, put it back in park, and then check/fill if needed with the engine running.

Last edited:
well got the pan back on,just waiting for silicone to dry ,just to make everyone aware the trans pan has a donut looking magnet inside to catch any metal filings that may happen inside the tranny.

Never heard if this was sportronic. Yeah 7 qts not 9 and extra for the cooler on mine. No no driving without pain, drain via pan plug and refill a few times. I run AMSOIL synth ATF - lower temps and fluid good 3 times longer than regular atf.

thanks ,the only problem now is that its slow to go into reverse ,takes a few seconds to engage ,anyone know the problem,also when in park the car will rollif on a very slight incline

I'm pretty ute it's the sporstronic you can also use it in manual mode,just slide the shifter and you arable to manually shift,hope that helps

The sportronic has the gear indicator in the gauge cluster on the left side. You can push the shifter to the side to manually select a gear, standard auto will just have D, 2 and 1 on the shifter.

Back