Real or Fake Leather?

SUV-Guy

:
2017 Mazda CX-9 Sport
I have received mixed feedback from Mazda USA and Mazda Japan about whether or not the leather in the 2017 Sport trim is real or fake. I specifically asked about the steering wheel and the shift. I also noticed the unique material on the driver door's armrest and the dash (the panel above the steering wheel and glove compartment etc.).

The leather on the steering wheel and the shift are stitched and look like the ones in the better models, so I'm guessing that that leather is real. The leather on the driver door's armrest is not stitched, unlike the better models, and seems fake. Finally, the dash looks the same as the better models, and it seems fake.

Also, do you happen to know what the cloth is made of, such as polyester or nylon?

Last edited:
I have received mixed feedback from Mazda USA and Mazda Japan about whether or not the leather in the Sport trim is real or fake. I specifically asked about the steering wheel and the shift. I also noticed the unique material on the driver door's armrest and the dash (the panel above the steering wheel and glove compartment etc.).

The leather on the steering wheel and the shift are stitched and look like the ones in the better models, so I'm guessing that that leather is real. The leather on the driver door's armrest is not stitched, unlike the better models, and seems fake. Finally, the dash looks the same as the better models, and it seems fake.

Also, do you happen to know what the cloth is made of, such as polyester or nylon?

Sorry if my answer is already posted, I replied but it's not showing up. For the SPORT 2016, yes - real leather on wheel and shift knob

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/features--specs/2016/cx-9/2016_mazda_cx9_features_specs.pdf

Thanks bro/sis, I got the 2017 Sport. Do you know how I can figure out the material on the door armrests and the dash?

Thanks bro/sis, I got the 2017 Sport. Do you know how I can figure out the material on the door armrests and the dash?

It should be the same as the 2016 - I got the GT and it's some sort of soft plastic. I don't know what material is. I don't think the manual goes into that much detail.

I have received mixed feedback from Mazda USA and Mazda Japan about whether or not the leather in the 2017 Sport trim is real or fake. I specifically asked about the steering wheel and the shift. I also noticed the unique material on the driver door's armrest and the dash (the panel above the steering wheel and glove compartment etc.).

There's no way the doors have real leather. I don't even think those inserts are real leather on the models with actual leather seats.

Back