Mazda 3 year/36K warranty on used CX5

Jakealope

:
CX5?
I'm looking at late model used CX5's. Doesn't the 3 year/36K mile bumper to bumper warranty transfer on a used vehicle? Does the 3 years expire on Jan 1, or from original date vehicle was put in service? I inquired at a local dealer about a 2015 CX5 with 25K miles. The dealer said it was "out of Bumper to bumper Warranty but will still have the 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty".

Warranty comes into effect from date of sale - a Carfax or similar thing will tell you date of sale.
So if i buy a car on 1st Jan 2017 - my 3 year / 36 Warranty transfers to 2nd owner if they buy before end of 2019 - 3 years.

In case of Mazda the 3 yr is fully transferable, only brand i know that has some conditions = Hyundai / Kia their 7 yr 100K slashes to 5 yr 60K to 2nd owner or something.

So if dealer says bumper is out - Carfax should verify because the mileage is under 36k. It is hard to imagine how that can be though.

With the VIN#, a Mazda dealer, or the folks at the Mazda North America 1-800 number can verify the IN-SERVICE date.

(guitar)

I'd check with Mazda. Mine is a 2016, but I bought it April 14th, 2015. It was built Jan 2015. So sometimes the model years can be a bit misleading...

I'd check with Mazda. Mine is a 2016, but I bought it April 14th, 2015. It was built Jan 2015. So sometimes the model years can be a bit misleading...

Yep, my 2014 was bought on April 20, 2013 and has a build date of January 2013...

I test drove it today. Nice car and dealer said it is a certified pre_owned so it has a 12 month warranty. It felt a little small, but maybe it's because I'm used to my 2006 Highlander, which is a bit bigger.

⋯ Nice car and dealer said it is a certified pre_owned so it has a 12 month warranty.
The sweet spot on Mazda CPO cars is not 12-month/12,000-mile Limitef Vehicle Warranty, but 7-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty which is better than buying a new car! :)

But there's a reason for that. Repairs on the "powertrain" are pretty rare.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

But there's a reason for that. Repairs on the "powertrain" are pretty rare.
Longer warranty is just for some peace of mind. Hyundai has American best new car warranty by offering 5-year/60,000-mile new vehicle warranty and 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, do you think repairs in general problems and powertrain on Hyundai are pretty rare too? :)

I've never blown an engine. I've never blown a tranny. Considering that's about all a powertrain Warranty covers, I think they're pretty Useless.

I've never blown an engine. I've never blown a tranny. Considering that's about all a powertrain Warranty covers, I think they're pretty Useless.

Its important for people who can afford a new Lexus and keep it 10 years but will go buy a certified Camry and run it till 80K miles and rinse and repeat. Because - I dont have time for non covered repairs - not a minute. When I was single I could hunt a reliable mechanic and get my fixes done - been there done that $75 gasket and spark plug replacement on my old car, with a family and busy schedule - no time for it. I will never own a car > 80K miles on it just for peace of mind.
Me and my wife put 34K miles on our cars combined every year - it was 40K but we moved cities. If things dont change we will need to get a different car every 4/5 years or so, certified is the sweet spot for depreciation and use n throw.

My Outback had the dreaded torque bind at 65K miles and required a new differential. Cost me close to 2K. They still go. Rare but it happens.

Back