2002 Mazda Protege ZM-DE 1.6L to FP-DE 1.8L engine swap?

coopergroves_

:
Mazda 323 Protege 2001
Okay, so I'm totally new to this forum so be nice! I've done my weeks of searching about this and I haven't found anyone who has given a straight answer whether this can be done or not. I've seen so many different engines in these things it kind of scares me, so I'm not even sure the FP-DE is the engine I want to swap to.

The current Protege I have now is the 2002 (made in 2001, on road in 2002) Shades (Australian only) variant with the 1.6L ZM-DE engine in it. The reason I want to do the swap is because this engine has started to tick and it's about time for it to go... Basically, what I want to know is, can I purchase the 1.8L engine and bolt it straight into my current set up? I hope to turbo it in the future so that definitely needs to be thought about.

Also, considering my car is currently TOTALLY stock, what basic mods can I do to squeeze out a bit more power once the engines replaced?

*EDIT* Or, should I possibly buy the sp20 engine? They aren't to much more expensive (one on Ebay for $650). Also, if the sp20 engine would be a better option, how would I go for engine mounts and everything else?

Thank you!

Images that may or may not be helpful (ignore the other 2 pictures lol):
http://chookiez.imgur.com/all/

Last edited:
Back