Tinting the windows on CX-5

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
What is this that's on the windows from the factory? Is it paint, is it film? Does it have any UV protection or heat protection?

In talking with tinting shops I get different info. The least expensive way is to only tint the driver and front passenger windows. But with new tint now you can do more to block heat as well. I'd like my windows to match. But I'm getting different info on what comes on the CX-5 on the back passenger windows and further back.

Back windows factory 20%. Tint but unknown how much UV protection is in it.

I got the max my state allows 35% driver passenger front.
Front windshield - 3m crystalline 90% (virtually clear) with 99.0 UV protection and 70% inferred block
Sunroof - 3m crystalline 70% (hint of blue) - with 99.0 UV protection and 70% inferred block.

Hmm...heard about doing the windshield and sunroof. Can really add up. Talked with the guy at http://www.eclipsetinting.com/auto-tinting.html. On that page it shows the product he uses and each level up stops a lot of heat. He had something setup in his lobby so you could see and feel the difference in heat between the three levels. To do the driver/passenger windows and back (not windshield or sun roof) it's $300, $400 or $500 depending on which level you choose. Seems like a lot, especially if you add in the sunroof ($40) and I forgot what he said for the windshield. In CO so the altitude does make a difference.

I don't know exactly what level of UV protection or blocking is in the factory rear window tints. I can tell you that the "tint" is actually in the window and part of the process when they manufacture the window. It is not a film that is applied to the window. To match the rear the fronts would need to be tinted to 20%. When I had my front windows done the rears metered at 22% so the shop used 20% for the front since the front windscreen lets in so much light one can not tell the difference at all when looking at the car. Some states only allow up to 35%, Wisconsin (my state) included but I talked to a few friends who are cops and they said it's really a non issue in Wisconsin at least, that most cops don't care unless they really want to be dicks and you're a dick to them, then they will give you a 10 day violation and make you remove it. Anything darker then 20% and they start to take notice and ask you to remove it.

Back windows factory 20%. Tint but unknown how much UV protection is in it.

I got the max my state allows 35% driver passenger front.
Front windshield - 3m crystalline 90% (virtually clear) with 99.0 UV protection and 70% inferred block
Sunroof - 3m crystalline 70% (hint of blue) - with 99.0 UV protection and 70% inferred block.

How do you like the windshield? I'm looking at getting the same thing, but I'm reading mixed reviews of distortion, texture, orange peel effect, glare, etc...

Anyone find out if there is UV protection in the rear factory tint?

How do you like the windshield? I'm looking at getting the same thing, but I'm reading mixed reviews of distortion, texture, orange peel effect, glare, etc...

If you want to tint the windshield I suggest give photosync tint a try. I've had 70 crystalline on my windshield on on of my previous cars and the heat rejection was not as good as the photosync 70. I didn't get any distortion but see the orange peel effect at certain lighting situationas and was kind of annoying that's why I looked for another brand. Been using photosync tint ever since, they offer the most heat rejection out of all the different brand tint I've used.

As for the factory tint, I can feel some slight heat rejection but not sure about uv.

We like it very much. When it was installed for about the first 2 hrs. You could see slight (slight) orange peel, but cleared away fast. There is no glaring, you can not tell it's on there visually. But we can feel the difference.. we parked our two car side by side and sat in both after a few hrs in the sun. The CX 5 was noticeably cooler. The 3M was also put on the sunroof glass. So we could enjoy the light, with out getting burned.
For the windshield, sunroof, and the driver/passage windows cost us $400.00.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...2716668&rt=rud

Also wanted to add...

Since I tinted my front windows, the reflection from the chrome trim from the outer vents is much more prominent during the day now.

I remember reading here that someone got the dealer to paint the vents because it's considered a safety hazard. Anyone else have luck with that?

I had 3M Crystalline 70 put on the windshield with 40 on the side windows and it comes close to matching the factory tint. I live in the Atlanta area and have very light sensitive eyes and can get away with not needing my sunglasses in very sunny conditions. Without tint I am virtually blinded without wearing sunglasses. I had considered putting 90 on the tinted back glass for UV and heat issues, but the CX-5 does cool off quickly. The dash has never felt more than lukewarm after sitting all day in full sun. This was applied back in 2013. I asked for a quote on my wife's new car a few weeks ago 70 on the windshield and 40 all around since there is very little tint on the windows. The estimate was a lot higher just going buy the itemized cost. The windshield alone cost as much as the total cost on the CX-5. However, the shop that I use is absolutely one of the best in my area and it would be worth paying. I am just having some trouble convincing my wife to let me put tint on her windows.

In terms of legality the 70 adds a little bit of tint, but it does not gather that much attention. I have a coworker that moved up from Florida and was pulled over twice in Atlanta based on a dark windshield tint. He had the front changed to something with less tint and has not had another issue. I was reading on another forum from an officer's point of view that if he pulled over someone and they rolled down their windows before he approached their car so that he could see who is in the car and where their hands are located he would not make any issue over tint, but if his anxiety is high because he cannot see it may piss him off enough to write a citation. I suppose each officer may have a different attitude, but it did seem like something easy to do by rolling down the windows just to ease the view as they approach the car.

Last edited:
Back