Have the A/C "issues" been resolved with the 2017 model?

I am looking strongly into the CX-9 and will be test driving this weekend. It seems like a perfect car with one exception...I have read concerns with the A/C for the 2016 model. I live in Dallas, TX where it was already 89 degrees yesterday, so needless to say A/C is VERY important.

I heard that in the past when its consumer's complained about things such as road noise Mazda stepped up and fixed the problem by installing double pane glass...is this the case for the A/C or is this still an issue on its newest model?

I cannot find any answer to this question relative to the 2017 model, only info out there I have been able to find is for 2016. Input would be much appreciated!!

PS: any other tid-bits you can bestow upon me before I test drive (and likely buy) this weekend would be excellent.

I have the GT 2016 (purchased on june 2016) and had the Sport 2011 (from january 2011 until june 2016). The difference regarding how AC works it's huge. My old CX9 had an amazing AC... I never ever used it in the lower settings for coldest air. The new cx9 it's "ok"... Notice I live in MX City where weather it's ok. Here normally we don't have "too hot" days...

Last saturday I go out at mid-day after the cx9 get some sun in a bright day. I start driving and setup my AC to Auto.... the AC in the cx9 is terrible! I notice it!. I have really black tinted windows but I notice the air even in Manual / 15 (coldest temp) it's not "cold - cold".... It's ridiculous. It's ok for me because here we don't get really hot days, but I cannot imagine how to deal with this if I live in a really hot weather.

Last edited:
No that's the only thing not tinted so far. We have the factory tint on the I back and 35% installed by the dealer on the front driver//passenger side. We're going to look into the clear tint for the front window, hopefully that will allow a dark tint without actually breaking any tint laws!

No that's the only thing not tinted so far. We have the factory tint on the I back and 35% installed by the dealer on the front driver//passenger side. We're going to look into the clear tint for the front window, hopefully that will allow a dark tint without actually breaking any tint laws!

I'm pretty sure I'm not street legal because I request our dealer to put the highest black tint available. Initially I don't like it, but I leave it and today I cannot live without it. Even my wife wants now the same tinting for the Xtrail

I am looking strongly into the CX-9 and will be test driving this weekend. It seems like a perfect car with one exception...I have read concerns with the A/C for the 2016 model. I live in Dallas, TX where it was already 89 degrees yesterday, so needless to say A/C is VERY important.

I heard that in the past when its consumer's complained about things such as road noise Mazda stepped up and fixed the problem by installing double pane glass...is this the case for the A/C or is this still an issue on its newest model?

I cannot find any answer to this question relative to the 2017 model, only info out there I have been able to find is for 2016. Input would be much appreciated!!

PS: any other tid-bits you can bestow upon me before I test drive (and likely buy) this weekend would be excellent.

Just test drove a CX-9 GT yesterday in Maryland. The sun had just come out, temp about 76 degrees and humidity high as always in the Mid-Atlantic states. The salesman had to get the car from another lot one mile away and came back twenty minutes later and left the car running. I noticed in my half-hour test drive that he had the a/c on recirc, the temp on 60 and the fan low. Driving South with the sun coming through the windshield and hitting my face and chest I was hot very quickly. Turning up the a/c fan did little to relieve my discomfort. Whatever Mazda did to thicken the glass and quiet the interior has turned the vehicle into a furnace. I left the test drive feeling like I had just walked three miles without water in mid-summer. Mazda needs to:
Fix the glass (Most cars that are this quiet have no a/c issues)
Ventilate the seats
Get a bigger engine
Have hands free rear gate

The car did handle very nicely but I will not be a buyer.

We have had our 2017 for just over a week and have driven it on several warm days (85-90). Didn't notice
any problems with the A/C cooling the car down effectively. Don't have any more than the factory tint on the
windows, but I did buy a Covercraft custom fit sunshade. Not only does it protect the interior from UV damage,
it helps keep the temps down a bit. I use them in all of my cars, have so for years.

We have had our 2017 for just over a week and have driven it on several warm days (85-90). Didn't notice
any problems with the A/C cooling the car down effectively. Don't have any more than the factory tint on the
windows, but I did buy a Covercraft custom fit sunshade. Not only does it protect the interior from UV damage,
it helps keep the temps down a bit. I use them in all of my cars, have so for years.

Where did you get yours? Is it a "custom" one, or just their generic one?

Where did you get yours? Is it a "custom" one, or just their generic one?
It's a custom by Covercraft. I've been using there covers and shades for years, good quality products. The shades have a soft, interior friendly felt backing, a foam core and a reflective surface. You can even get different colors for the reflective surface if you want. Here are a couple of pictures I just took showing it outside and in:

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/sunscreens

Do you guys leave the car on auto and at what temp? Mine set at 21c.

If the car is heat soaked, i start out manual full cold, recirc on and windows down. When the hot air is blown out, windows up and in no time car is comfortable and can be switched to auto to maintain.

Good deal, I think you're going to like it. However, living in the Bay area, it will probably be more helpful for UV protection than actual heat build up on most days.

I've got the black leather seats, the dark blue paint, combined with that huge dash area and the vehicle absorbs a lot of heat from the sun.
I have the stock dark tint in the rear and side windows and I keep the shades UP in the rear seats all the time.

I do not find the AC to be an issue, even through stop and go driving in 90F+ driving last summer.
I've had the car down to the point where I was chilly in pants and long sleeve shirt on a 95F day.

One thing I WILL say in general about ALL cars is that a lot of people use FRESH intake air and then complain that their AC isn't cooling enough.
Well if you are going to take 90F+ air and try to cool it down then blow it into the car, and forcing already cool air out of the passenger compartment your cooling will be marginal.
You should use RECIRC whenever possible, so your AC is starting with already cooled air, plus you are pumping the heat in the car OUT, instead of pushing cool air out of the car.

It's a subtle but very IMPORTANT distinction. On a lot of cars the volume of air coming out of the AC is larger on FRESH so people think it cools better.
But that air isn't as cold and by filling the car with air from outside, the cool air in the car has to go somewhere, so you are pushing it OUT of the compartment.

With RECIRC you are taking nice cool air, that has picked up a little heat from the hot floor, console, dash and cooling that air off and returning it to the passenger compartment. Much more efficient.

And of course the usual tips, start parked in shade, use a windshield screen when you can and roll windows down to let the superheated air out of the car for the first few minutes.

I have the 2016 Sig and thought the AC was weak also. I tinted everything with Llumar, including the already factory- tinted windows because they did not reject the heat like higher quality tints. Did the windshield too. Made a huge difference especially in Houston weather!

Had the car checked at dealer and everything was in spec on AC and similar to another brand new CX9. In talking with service one of the guys mentioned that perhaps the compressor was as strong as could be used in this car as a four banger. Hadn't thought of that - it is a big interior volume and a four cylinder engine. Regardless really good tint will make a world of difference.

+1 on the tinting. Got mine done and makes big difference. Some passenger even ask to turn down the AC as the car is more comfortable.

The more I drive, the more I think the angle of the windshield and angle/structure of the dash tends to "focus" radiant heat to the driver chest and face, making it feel warm. I tweak of the vent direction fixes that. I used to drive sedan with a shallow, less angular dash and more sloped windshield, and I think the radiant heat wasn't as bad.

Back