Diagnosing a potential problem before sale of Mazda 6 (6s, hatchback, 2004)

umopepisdn

:
2004 Mazda 6s hatchback / 2016.5 Mazda cx5 GT AWD w. tech
Hey guys.

I have a 2004 Mazda 6s hatchback automatic with 188k miles on it. I have been working a job where i commute 150 miles a DAY.... and the car seems to be having a hard time keeping up with that mileage. It seems fine when used for local trips, and when given a "break" from the long drive. For example, after breaking down completely on me friday before work, shes been at the shop for over 4 days and she's working fine.

The problems I got most recently have been brown smoke from front end (couldnt notice smell, happened after driving about 60miles, and needing to sit in traffic for about 15 mins), then the next morning, it started fine, but when i put it into reverse it rev'ed the RMPs and felt like it was going to go flying backwards into the neighbors house had i let go of the break. I put it in park, and tried again, this time upon hitting reverse the whole engine died and the CEL started flashing, and the oil and battery light came on. after that it wouldnt start. A few hours later the tow guy got it to start (after a few tries and revving the engine) and no problems since.

I've had a few engine coils replaced recently, a new alternator/starter, battery is new. I know i have a problem starting with an axle boot, and shocks somewhere, as well as a small oil leak, which is said to not be a major problem (and not causing this issue). It was throwing an emission evap code from the CEL about a month ago, but stopped during testing and hasnt been back on since to retest.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong with the car... since mechanics can't seem to figure it out???

I want to be able to sell this car if it can be sold, but I do not want to sell someone something that will explode the day after they buy it. It's also possible that we keep this car for the 1mi a day my husband drives (to drop our kids at school) and sell our 20 year old Toyota instead (because that might be an easier fixer-upper/mechanic's car).

Any ideas?? I've dumped a lot of money into this car in the past 9months.. so I dont want to give her away, but i do want to sell her fairly and disclose anything that could be wrong.

We did replace her with a new Mazda, just because I needed to have something reliable to get me to work especially while pregnant now. (lol2)

Last edited:
I couldn't even begin to guess; that's a lot of syptoms/issues... In all honesty, if it were me, I'd consider sourcing another, lower-mileage engine altogether (given the miles on your current one, and your ridiculous commute). That, as opposed to chasing gremlins they way you've been doing. They can be had for cheap ($400 to $500) in salvage yards...

Back