Interior Differences in First Gen CX-5?

:
2016.5 Touring w/Tech
Was looking at some on-line pics of older CX-5 dash/interiors and was curious about just what changes/tweaks have been made over the years. Obviously the infotainment screen was changed, but I couldn't quite tell when the newest one (the one in my 16.5 Touring) was first used. Some pics from the 2015 model had the old info unit while others seemed to have the newer touchscreen that I thought first came in the 2016. I believe the handbrake was changed to e-brake in the 2016, but what about the different center console armrests and cup holders - which were either side-by-side or in front of each other (in the 2016)? The silver dashboard trim is now silver-ish, but appears darker (black?) in some earlier model pics, but it's a bit hard to tell due to the reflections. It seems that each year had a few minor design tweaks.

Is the exterior the same except for the 2016 grill and headlight assemblies?

Minor changes rolled out throughout the years. In 2014.5, the automatic shifter and side mirrors changed. I don't think 2015 had many, if any, visible changes.

There could also be confusion about model year and calendar year - Mazda sometimes introduces model years early and keeps them for a very long time. My 2014 was built in January 2013 and I think production even started in 2012!

I believe the changes you've listed (namely, newer infotainment touchscreen, electronic handbrake, new center console / cup holder layout) all happened in MY 2016. As well, many tech features (LDW, RCTA, SBS, FOW, HBC, etc.) were also introduced in MY 2016.

The "tech package" in MY 2015 was pretty minimal, just BSM & SCBS basically. If I'm correct the only major changes in MY 2015 is that the gated gear lever was abandoned in favor of the straight version.

You're right about the exterior evolution, I think.

My 2014 was also built in Jan 2013.

Changes I've noticed between mine and the newer CX-5s is of course the infotainment system, the addition of that commander knob, removal of the handbrake for an ebrake, the shifter changed, my temperature control knobs are definitely different from the newer ones.

I also think there were a couple of different versions of the dash info screen (the info to the right of the speedometer). Not sure if that's changed or not.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

this is from my 2013

5l0daOB.jpg

My sister has a 2016 and the right hand side of the gauge cluster display is different than in my 2016.5. The trip information is in the middle of the gauge cluster as well whereas on mine it's on the right hand side.

My sister has a 2016 and the right hand side of the gauge cluster display is different than in my 2016.5. The trip information is in the middle of the gauge cluster as well whereas on mine it's on the right hand side.

The model with i-activesense has a different cluster display than those without.

Err, not sure. I have xenon lights with AFS, iStop, TPMS, rain sensing wipers and a centre console commander. no sat nav though.

Oh you have a sport, must be a package, or else the UK variants are different (I have no idea).

Looks like you have the dual climate control, whereas mine does not.

Interesting seeing the differences! So what year did they start the Commander Controller? I thought it was in 2013, but maybe in the higher trims; I see that it probably came later. It's hard to tell from the Google pics because so much of the info is wrong.

Interesting seeing the differences! So what year did they start the Commander Controller? I thought it was in 2013, but maybe in the higher trims; I see that it probably came later. It's hard to tell from the Google pics because so much of the info is wrong.

I don't think the commander knob came till 2016 in the CX-5. It was in the Mazda 3 or 6 first I believe. My 2014 does not have it.

I don't think the commander knob came till 2016 in the CX-5. It was in the Mazda 3 or 6 first I believe. My 2014 does not have it.

I think you're right. My 2014 doesn't have it, and I am pretty sure the 2015 was like the 2014.

2016 they had that change to the front grill and I believe that was when they put in the commander knob, took out the handbrake, put in the sport mode, etc.

I have a commander 'knob' and a normal hand brake. 2013 (rockon)

EDIT: I've never used the 'knob' as my touch screen is fully active while driving.

Wait, really?

The NON-US market cars have different options, different years, etc... Makes it a little confusing when we are on a GLOBAL Forum.

Here are some helpful tidbits...

Non-US markets got the commander and diesel early.

For USA, 2016 Model year was first time CX-5 got the Commander knob and the Electric E-Brake, and the MAZDA-CONNECT Infotainment.

For USA, 2014.5 Model year saw changes to the shifter design, changing from a SHIFT GATE to a Vinyl Booted Straight Forward and Back design.

For USA, 2014 Model year was first time CX-5 got the 2.5L motor

For USA, 2013 Model year was the first CX-5 Model year. Started Selling in USA in 03/2012 2.0Liter motor only.

There are many other little upgrades or changes done for the model years, please don't mistake this as a complete list. For instance: 2014 Model year also saw changes structurally and assembly wise to address problems such as vibrating door mirrors, flexing hoods, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back