Mazda Canada Site

Seriously, Monte, I am being rational. "Ray's" approach to the CX-5 (and to Mazda in general) seems to be that of a tabloid journalist.

Not so much, maybe so on your points.. You shot my early info down as bs also when i mentioned the weight gain which appears to be accurate but my point is most people here are well intended and just trying to share info. Some may certainly prove untrue due to bad press info, recollection or whatever but seriously kev- just take it or leave it fwiw unless you have data showing its false, why bother?

Last edited:
Couldn't a US citizen just buy a Mazda in Canada and "drive it home"?

You may have to wait a year to get a used one as Mazda Canada may not sell you a new one. True story. In '11 I was in the market for a new MX-5 to discover that the colour/interior I wanted was not available in Canada and so I went to the states. NY said no without explanation. NH didn't reply. TN said no one had ever asked (selling to an out of country Canadian) before so they would get back to me. Three days later the answer was that Mazda USA would pull the franchise of any US dealer selling new to a non-resident Canadian. The reason given was that with the 10k$ price differential between the US and Canadian GTs, Canadian dealers demanded the restriction to prevent us from crossing the border to buy as they feared the result would be to never sell another Miata in Canada.

There is no Mazda US restriction on the sale of used vehicles. I bought a certified pre-owned 2010 MX-5 in TN from a dealer. Compared to the 2011 Canadian copy and adding in one-way airfare, three nights hotel, Canadian RIV fee and the required installation of DRLs, duty, and the exchange rate, I still saved 17k$ Cdn. I'd do it again to save that much. It isn't difficult becoming your own exporter/importer but you have to do both; passing thru US Customs to export the car and then thru Canadian Customs to import it. I won't go into details as you would be going the other way and I have no knowledge of US import rules and my experience would not apply.

Consider the possibilities with the current differential between currencies.

Brian

I admit my mistakes. What I don't get is that yrwei ALWAYS seems to be on a search for something negative to point out about the CX-5 and Mazda. I'm not asking for people to have an "it's all happy, great with puppies and kittens!" approach to discussing these topics. I'd like to see some more balance of giving credit to Mazda where credit is due. Just because Honda takes an approach and manages to sell 3X as many CR-Vs doesn't mean that Mazda's approach is flawed and Honda can do no wrong. For example, on vtec.net, people are pissed off that Honda has screwed people by not offering items that Canadian CR-V buyers can get - like heated rear seats. Guess what? You can get them on the CX-5! I just don't get yrwei's agenda. I'm slanted too. I'm a Mazda enthusiast.
Not so much, maybe so on your points.. You shot my early info down as bs also when i mentioned the weight gain which appears to be accurate but my point is most people here are well intended and just trying to share info. Some may certainly prove untrue do to bad press info, recollection or whatever but seriously kev- just take it or leave it fwiw unless you have data showing its false, why bother?

I didn't notice that maybe i missed it but he's definitely no mangochile or whoever that troll was who admittedly caused me to lose my cool with his antics. I am jealous that Canada gets unlimited mileage and heated wheel standard on new gt. Im a pretty big Mazda fan since this car and I talk them up to friends, co-workers probably to the point of being annoying because too many don't even give them a chance and just go with Toyota or Honda because its what they know and trust. I get that but its also why I do it- they're not perfect but they really do deserve the praise and more sales than they currently have imo, even if they don't aspire to be another Honda.

Freeway Mazda in BC has pictures of a 2017 red GS online. You have the chance to see how the 17 gunmetal rims look like. I dont know if its just me but I find the top wheel gap a bit too large, in particular in the back

Freeway Mazda in BC has pictures of a 2017 red GS online. You have the chance to see how the 17 gunmetal rims look like. I dont know if its just me but I find the top wheel gap a bit too large, in particular in the back

I agree... but I think its largely an optical illusion. One would have to measure the true unladen vehicle's wheel gap between trim levels to know for sure. The wheel gap on my 2014 3 Hatchback with 16"s looked way bigger than the gap on the GTs with the 18" rims. I always intended to measure to see if I was crazy but never got around to it. I do think there was some difference, but not much.

However, I don't like the newer 17" rims much at all, but the newer 19"s are growing on me. I didn't like the newer 2016 GT rims at first either, but now like them much better than the original CX5 GT rims.

Back