Winter toll on 2016 CX5 Gran Touring Rims?

:
Mazda CX-5 2106.5
Got lazy and didn't put a coat of wax on the rims here in New England. They look good so far but how do you think they'll hold up to the road salt and snow in a few years? Do you think the coating on the rims are pretty durable or do you coat them with something before the winter? I try to wash the car and rims after each snow fall but get laxed with that too. Buying a set of winter rims is another idea but have to shell out the $.

The powder coating on the wheels is pretty durable but salt and winter road grime is some powerfull stuff. I would recommend a good sealant or wax on the rims before winter to last you thru the season. I used collinite 426s for a winter wax on the my winter wheels and it has held up pretty good. I painted my winter rims with rustoleum wheel paint and used rustoluem wheel clear coat on them as well. Not as durable as powder coating but they have held up well for the winter so far in Wisconsin here. There's tons of specialized wheel waxes and coatings out there that work very well. Gtechniq C5 wheel Armour is a popular choice over on the detailing forums. It's about $35 for 15ml enough to do all 4 wheels and last 12+ months

Problem with Aluminum rims and road salt is that eventually, the beads of the tire will start to leak air with the salt coming into contact with the edge of the rims.

As @Ride92 states, powder coating is the way to go. I'd run the wheels as is until they start to leak or show wear and tear then get them PC'd.

I too have had great results with Collinite 426s and also a Synthetic paint sealer. Wheels look like brand new and cleans up easily at time of washing.

Back