Mazda CX-5 2017 and 2016.5 US/NA Spec Comparison

Personally I don't think the reduced cargo space matters, but I'm trying to figure out how the space was lost. The 2017 is slightly longer and didn't add front or rear leg space. So where did the cargo space go?

someone mentioned the extra flat loading floor now?
Maybe the new "reclining" seats don't fold down as low, so to get the flat floor they lifted the trunk floor up a little?
If that's the case.. you can remove the trunk floor and get all the space back when you really need every cubic inch of space.

someone mentioned the extra flat loading floor now?
Maybe the new "reclining" seats don't fold down as low, so to get the flat floor they lifted the trunk floor up a little?
If that's the case.. you can remove the trunk floor and get all the space back when you really need every cubic inch of space.

This is correct. They lost cargo volume in the back when they tried to flatten the loading floor when all seats are folded. Apparently, the not so flat loading floor on the existing CX-5s was a major complaint.

This is correct. They lost cargo volume in the back when they tried to flatten the loading floor when all seats are folded. Apparently, the not so flat loading floor on the existing CX-5s was a major complaint.

Makes sense -thanks. This seems fine by me since horizontal space with the seats up remains the same.

Or your Roof Rack!

post-398589-0-43302000-1409068468.jpg

Kite!

Looks like thehttps://www.autoevolution.com/news/2017-mazda-cx-5-specifications-and-prices-revealed-for-japan-113760.html torque ratings in Canada were already like that in 2016.
185@3250 for FWD and 185@4000 for AWD
https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/2016-5-cx-5/specs/

This change in peak torque is likely on paper only.

The 2.0L makes 148lb-ft@3000 RPM... but the peak is 150@4000
Didn't know Canadian 2016.5 CX-5 AWD has the same torque rating like 2017's. Further, in Japan, the maximum horsepower and torque on 2017 CX-5 FWD SA-G 2.5L are 190 PS (187 hp) @ 6,000 rpm and 251 N-m (185 lb-ft) @ 3,250 rpm; whereas AWD (4WD) 2.5L are 184 PS (181 hp) @ 6,000 rpm and 245 N-m (181 lb-ft) @ 4,000 rpm. I don't think the difference is only on paper.

cx-5-japan_2.jpg

2017 Mazda CX-5 Specifications and Prices Revealed for Japan
Then theres the SkyActiv-G 2.5. Also a four-cylinder and just as free breathing as the 2.0-liter engine, the 2.5 churns out 190 PS (140 kW) and 251 Nm (185 lb-ft) at 3,250 rpm. Theres a less potent version of the 2.5-liter mill available in Japan, rated at 184 PS (135 kW) and 245 Nm (181 lb-ft). The full-blooded 2.5 is exclusive to FWD models, while the the less brawny 2.5 is spoken for by CX-5 models equipped with the all-wheel-drive system.

Another difference between Canada and U.S. 2017 versions is the color choices. Canada will have Titanium Flash Mica but not Eternal Blue Mica as color options, while the U.S. will have Eternal Blue Mica as an option but not Titanium Flash Mica. Strange.

Personally I don't think the reduced cargo space matters, but I'm trying to figure out how the space was lost. The 2017 is slightly longer and didn't add front space, and barely added rear leg space. So where did the cargo space go?

Also, I believe the roof line was lowered, which also takes some space.

Didn't know Canadian 2016.5 CX-5 AWD has the same torque rating like 2017's. Further, in Japan, the maximum horsepower and torque on 2017 CX-5 FWD SA-G 2.5L are 190 PS (187 hp) @ 6,000 rpm and 251 N-m (185 lb-ft) @ 3,250 rpm; whereas AWD (4WD) 2.5L are 184 PS (181 hp) @ 6,000 rpm and 245 N-m (181 lb-ft) @ 4,000 rpm. I don't think the difference is only on paper.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Specifications and Prices Revealed for Japan

Well.. that's confusing.

I saw the new 2017 CX-5 at the Dallas Auto Show, they had 2 of them. I gotta say, the new red color that they have is flashy! I actually think it looks better than the Soul Red on our 2016 CX-5s. I am still not a fan of the new front end and wheels on the GT. The interior on the 2017 CX-5 is an improvement, though I think the interior on the 2017 Mazda6 with the Nappa leather is much better. The rear seats for me, seems to be more comfortable in the Mazda6 than the CX-5 as well. The wife was so impressed by the Mazda6 that she said that if I wanted to trade in our CX-5 for the 2017 Mazda6, she is fine with it LOL. She did have some fun playing with the new power liftgate on the 2017 CX-5 haha.

Edit: The wife was so impressed by the Mazda6*

Last edited:
I saw the new 2017 CX-5 at the Dallas Auto Show, they had 2 of them. I gotta say, the new red color that they have is flashy! I actually think it looks better than the Soul Red on our 2016 CX-5s. I am still not a fan of the new front end and wheels on the GT. The interior on the 2017 CX-5 is an improvement, though I think the interior on the 2017 Mazda6 with the Nappa leather is much better. The rear seats for me, seems to be more comfortable in the Mazda6 than the CX-5 as well. The wife was so impressed by the CX-5 that she said that if I wanted to trade in our CX-5 for the 2017 Mazda6, she is fine with it LOL. She did have some fun playing with the new power liftgate on the 2017 CX-5 haha.

My next cube neighbor went there too. His friend wanted the 2018 camry. He told me he used to drive RX-7s - they were real fun. Seems Mazda has an amazing rich history.

My next cube neighbor went there too. His friend wanted the 2018 camry. He told me he used to drive RX-7s - they were real fun. Seems Mazda has an amazing rich history.
Oh yeah they had the new Camry at the auto show, but it was only for display. You can't actually get inside one. I have to say it is the sportiest looking Camry ever and not in a bad way. It actually looked pretty cool.

The FD RX-7 is one of my dream cars. I regret not being old enough and able enough to own one before Mazda discontinued them.

The FD RX-7 is one of my dream cars. I regret not being old enough and able enough to own one before Mazda discontinued them.

The FD RX-7 is just a classic shape. Never looks old even to this day. Just looks contemporary and smooth. Awesome.

I saw the new 2017 CX-5 at the Dallas Auto Show, they had 2 of them. I gotta say, the new red color that they have is flashy! I actually think it looks better than the Soul Red on our 2016 CX-5s. I am still not a fan of the new front end and wheels on the GT. The interior on the 2017 CX-5 is an improvement, though I think the interior on the 2017 Mazda6 with the Nappa leather is much better. The rear seats for me, seems to be more comfortable in the Mazda6 than the CX-5 as well. The wife was so impressed by the Mazda6 that she said that if I wanted to trade in our CX-5 for the 2017 Mazda6, she is fine with it LOL. She did have some fun playing with the new power liftgate on the 2017 CX-5 haha.

Edit: The wife was so impressed by the Mazda6*
2017 Mazda6 doesn't change much from 2016, does it?

Thanks for the review on new CX-5! Should have gone to the DFW Auto Show to check out the new CX-5 but missed it.

2017 Mazda6 doesn't change much from 2016, does it?

Thanks for the review on new CX-5! Should have gone to the DFW Auto Show to check out the new CX-5 but missed it.
For the 2017 Mazda6, I'm actually not sure what the differences are compared to the 2016, apart from the G-vectoring control that was added. Seems like they re-shuffled some features and the Tech Package is now replaced by the Premium Package. All 2017 models also get the full speed adaptive radar cruise control I believe. Feature wise, the 2017 CX-5 is nearly on par with the 2017 Mazda6. The new CX-5 now has the AC rear vents, HUD, power passenger seats and driver memory seat settings. It still doesn't have paddle shifters though. I'm interested in the Mazda6 because it is getting 30 MPG combined as reported by Fuelly. However the new CX-5 diesel should at least match 30 combined MPG and possibly get even better.

Wow, they took out navigation and fog lights from the touring and added leatherette... combined with the ugly front end and the infotainment above the dash... no thanks. I'm so glad I got the 2016.5 instead.

For the 2017 Mazda6, I'm actually not sure what the differences are compared to the 2016, apart from the G-vectoring control that was added. Seems like they re-shuffled some features and the Tech Package is now replaced by the Premium Package. All 2017 models also get the full speed adaptive radar cruise control I believe. Feature wise, the 2017 CX-5 is nearly on par with the 2017 Mazda6. The new CX-5 now has the AC rear vents, HUD, power passenger seats and driver memory seat settings. It still doesn't have paddle shifters though. I'm interested in the Mazda6 because it is getting 30 MPG combined as reported by Fuelly. However the new CX-5 diesel should at least match 30 combined MPG and possibly get even better.

Noticeable 2017 Mazda6 features/updates and what I've done/plan on doing on my 2016 model:

G-Vectoring Control: Hopefully this could be added via an ECU programming update. Otherwise no big deal. Car handles really well.
Thicker front door glass (GTs get acoustic glass): Damn can't really upgrade that.
Improved seals/weatherstripping: Merely need to visit dealer and take pics of seals. I can mimic the 17's seal system as a DIY project.
Better sound suppression between the door-panel trim and the doors’ inner structure: Completed via Noico and denim matting all 4 doors, rear trunk, trunk lid.
As well as more noise-reducing material in the headliner: I was thinking of doing this. Then again most noise comes from below the car.
Map lights are swapped for LED units: Installed Red LEDs to give my interior a "Submarine Darth Vader feel". 5k LEDs for reverse and rear plate lights.

Back