expected diesel fuel economy on CX5

Yeah its delayed, waxing poetic about great mpg and range is kinda pointless. It'll be good, yugely good (for me I believe) if indeed it comes to fruition. I'm taking bets on its eventuality here, not timing- for those saying it ain't- PM me how much you're in for

Last edited:
My diesel can do 14km/liter on a highway aggressive driving and 16-17km/liter on conservative driving.

Conversion to mpg:
32.93 mpg, aggressively, & 38.80 mpg, conservatively.
—————————————————————————-
I do like torque but these numbers have me wondering whether it’s worth waiting for.
IF they actually do bring the diesel to NA - there will be additional add-ons (DEF, DPF, sensors) bringing these totals down, possible higher maintenance cost (as told by one Mazda service agent) and noobie diesel mechanics. This will translate to less mpg and more customer frustration till the new mechanics get the inevitable stuff sorted out.

Tell me I’m wrong. Please.

I don't think our numbers would stray too far from that- but somewhat higher maint and noob mechanics are an unfortunate part of the deal. Those numbers are still nearly 1/3 better than mine so I def still want this but I will not be 1st in line let's say..

On my part re diesel, I have been driving diesel cars and trucks for 30 years hence diesel maintenance is a normal thing for me. HOWEVER, those heavy electronics, sensors and computer things are very new to me. But it didn't stop me from deciding to get a diesel variant. I just know I will have to embrace the digital age one way or another so why not now? After all, the same production diesel engine (with modifications of course!) have been used by Mazda 6 in the LMP2 category in 2012-2014. [emoji16] And since there is a significant fuel efficiency, my family and I have been road tripping weekly. And that family bonding is something money can't buy. [emoji57]

Not new but never caught this one..unknown is will ours have the exact same tuning/treatment as the test vehicle and while I may not be first in line I'm gonna be in full stalker mode when these start to arrive..and read my lips its happening. 7.1l/100 @160km and 5.4l/100@100km on hwy..translation 33.1 and 43.5 respectively! Knock 10% off those and I'm still pretty fn stoked..how so many of you are meh or giving up or makes no sense unless you're towing are all pretty shocking to me but less interest means better deals so I'm totally cool with those points of view.
http://driving.ca/mazda/cx-5/reviews/road-test/first-drive-2018-mazda-cx-5-diesel

My CX5 (diesel) is now almost three years old. Normally I have the info gauge at the extreme right switched to "Range" but out of interest, I recently changed this to "Fuel Economy". It currently reads 53.7mpg which I'm quite happy with but I note that after about four weeks of driving, the figure hasn't changed at all! Perhaps I'm just a steady driver but I wonder if anybody has seen this figure go up (in which case, what were they doing, eg accelerating, changing gear...) or go down (in which case, what were they doing, eg , over-revving, braking...)

To accurately calculate fuel economy, use an online calculator and determine it with distance driven VS. amount of fuel used (youll know how much you used when you fill up again)

As for driving efficiently, dont rev the car excessively (keep RPM between 2-4000rpm when accelerating)

When you brake, brake early and linearly. That way you will likely still be rolling when the light in front of you turns green this saving more fuel. Driving is all about conservation of momentum.

So I'd know if my CX-5 is future proof for Euro 6 as we are now Euro 4.

It wont affect your CX5 at all.

If they introduce Euro 6 in your area it wont affect cars that have already been purchased, it will only affect new cars being imported from the date EU6 is required and onwards.

Fuel consumption at 90km/hr cruising. 22up is doable.
989cf7053cf5dd85147fe67c1be991e7.jpg

Mine is 40mpg (UK) right now as i have a diesel tuning chip and a heavy foot. I'll keep the performance over the consumption though :D

Mines around 36mpg at the moment allowing for the 2.5mpg over read on the average read out.

Dear Mazda,

This is how you introduce a Diesel engine:

For the first time, Ford will release its best-selling F-150 truck with an optional 3.0-liter diesel Power Stroke engine that will come with an EPA-estimated 30 mpg later this year.
The Dearborn, Michigan-based automaker will start taking dealer orders on the new 2018 Ford F-150 diesel in mid-January, with deliveries expected to start this spring.
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2018/01/ford_f-150_embargo_news.html

Ford:
Step 1: Get EPA certification
Step 2: Announce Engine
Step 3: Sell it

Mazda:
Step 1: Announce Engine
Step 2:
Step 3:
Step 4: Announce Engine again
Step 5:
Step 6: Try to get Epa certification
Step 7: Wait a few years
Step 8: Announce Engine again in different car.
Step 9: Try again to get Epa certification

Last edited:
Back