expected diesel fuel economy on CX5

ashdale

:
cx5
My CX5 (diesel) is now almost three years old. Normally I have the info gauge at the extreme right switched to "Range" but out of interest, I recently changed this to "Fuel Economy". It currently reads 53.7mpg which I'm quite happy with but I note that after about four weeks of driving, the figure hasn't changed at all! Perhaps I'm just a steady driver but I wonder if anybody has seen this figure go up (in which case, what were they doing, eg accelerating, changing gear...) or go down (in which case, what were they doing, eg , over-revving, braking...)

Mpg gauge needs to be reset. If you have not done so from a long time - it would have settled to the avg. value. Lets say after 4 years your avg is 53.7 - its not going to change much in 1 or 2 months then.

But this number is stunning - its equivalent to 43 mpg USA - there are states where diesel is much more expensive than gas but in states where this is not true - that beats even Kia Niro numbers for top trim. Wow.
Imagine that 300 lb ft of torque so much cargo yet Kia Niro's efficiency. Blown away.

That is stunning- if our version comes anywhere near reproducing this type of real world diff and I don't have to spend 35+ to get it- sign me up.

doc, you beat me to it!
I was about to start a thread about Diesel mpg but wasn't sure there were enough real world samples to make it worthwhile so thank you for contributing.
If Kaps conversions are correct, that truly is a stunning figure. 43mpg. Wow.
What kind of driving do you mainly do? Highway? How long is your daily commute if you don't mind me asking. Oh, and how many miles on your car?

I've been (impatiently) waiting for a Diesel CX-5 to come to the US and I'm with Monterra on this one, if it's over 35 mpg and Mazda doesn't charge a crazy premium for the motor, I might have to pull the trigger on it.

any other Diesel owners out there want to share how their Diesel is performing?

43 mpg does not consider price differences between diesel and gas. In some States in USA Diesel is cheaper!!!!!! Imagine 45mpg.
From where i live in TX - it comes to about 37.8 mpg since diesel is expensive. This is on par with some of the hybrids - Rav4, Kia Niro - but CX-5 will be tons more fun to drive. They don't have anywhere near the torque of the CX-5.

I think a stripped down Diesel version costing 28-30K is going to be great. I dont think 35 will be a big selling MSRP. Start diesel at 28-30, give us 3 or 4 packages that make it loaded.

Another thing - 53.7 mpg is great for 2.2D but I have seen reports of 6.7L/100 - this results in 56 mpg (UK) or 41 mpg in TX, USA. Kia Niro that has 110 hp engine with a hybrid - no real cargo space does 42 mpg. So this is great.

I'll happily pay the diesel premium (currently 2.65 vs 2.35 for reg gas) all day and all night long if non-adjusted real world US mpg is at or near starting with a 4. On winter gas (and tires) I'm unable to complete my ~400 mile M-F gig on a full tank of the cheap stuff. Getting 4- anything but let's say 0 mostly cruising 70ish on the highway times 15 but let's say 14 gallons = mid 500s range is absolutely dreamy for me.

Last edited:
Another thing - 53.7 mpg is great for 2.2D but I have seen reports of 6.7L/100 - this results in 56 mpg (UK) or 41 mpg in TX, USA. Kia Niro that has 110 hp engine with a hybrid - no real cargo space does 42 mpg. So this is great.

Are the emissions the same for the diesels on both sides of the pond? Wondering if some emission do-dad on the USA side will reduce MPG.

Are the emissions the same for the diesels on both sides of the pond? Wondering if some emission do-dad on the USA side will reduce MPG.
It's a toss up, where the EPA has made it hard get good mileage out of diesels anymore it will hurt it but from what I have seen in my fleet of trucks the ones with urea injection do very well on fuel and the oil stays far cleaner than ones with just a DPF.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As much as I hate the EPA and all the B's they have done to screw with us car guys I do wonder how many advancements would have taken longer to come to market. To see how clean and powerful things are now compared to 15 to 20 yrs ago is impressive. The Cummins in the Dodge trucks has almost doubled it's going and TQ and is cleaner. The a power levels you can get from the factory are what many of us dream of being able to upgrade or trucks to not long ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The EPA and equivalent organizations around the world are almost entirely responsible for it. Car manufacturers and car buyers are very conservative and irrational. As long as gas is cheap most folks would have no issue driving a gigantic belching carbed V8 that gets 12mpg, and even today they have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to trading in efficient cars for huge trucks the second gas prices dip back downwards.

6.7L/100km is not at all difficult to achieve. This is speaking from actual experience of having 2 CX5 diesels since 2013.

Vehicle details:
We only get one version of the diesel in Australia: 129kw/420nm. Equates to 175hp approx.

My first CX5 diesel was a 2013 GT AWD auto.
My current is a 2016 Akera AWD auto (Akera is like a GT with all option packs included as standard)

Performance and exonomy the same with both vehicles.
I routinely got/get under 7km in mixed driving around the city with a few 20 minute 80km/hr runs in the mix.

Highway at 100-110km/hr you can easily get better than 6.5, I have a best run of 5.8L/100kms on a 350km highway run when my current CX5 diesel was nearly new.

Last edited:
The manual diesel is the most economical, my 2013 AWD sport weighing 1663kg would show an average read out of 42 mpg, bear in mind this read out is at least 2.5 mpg optimistic.
If you don't go for the AWD the reduced weight and losses will give you around another 3mpg, if you go for the 150ps engine i would expect more.

The auto sport AWD i have is lucky to see 38mpg on the read out, the auto costs around 3mpg on fuel, and the latest car a 2015 model now weighs 1703kg.

So if economy is your goal go for a base car in FWD, with the lightest weight, in a manual. That will see an average of around 47mpg . Its possible to get more providing you don't get a PDF burn and drive like granny, with my manual on two occaisons reseting the average before a long trip showed 55mpg.

But the 55mpg is an illusion, its the avarage over a period thats matters IMO.

Use this to play with the results, its for the 2012 car, you need to enter the details.

https://www.whatcar.com/truempg/my-true-mpg/

Ps I'm expecting the 2017 sport in the UK to be even heavier than the 1703 for the auto AWD, so do see economy getting any better.

Last edited:
OP: (and others posting first hand diesel experiences): Please state which trans, driveline and output your motor is. I read something that US is only getting high output version and that output may be a bit higher than current.
I'm pretty confident a loaded AWD automatic, 173+hp spec sky-d won't return the magical 40mpg highway (US) outside of a vacuum (or an overly optimistic onboard read out:) but we can dream...

Last edited:
OP: (and others posting first hand diesel experiences): Please state which trans, driveline and output your motor is. I read something that US is only getting high output version and that output may be a bit higher than current.
I'm pretty confident a loaded AWD automatic, 173+hp spec sky-d won't return the magical 40mpg highway (US) outside of a vacuum (or an overly optimistic onboard read out:) but we can dream...
Higher output than current? 200 hp would be awesome...

I saw it somewhere that ours may get turned up a bit but I wouldn't think 200 is in the cards. Hell- let's just get the dang thing here already right? Choice is good...

Auto wouldn't but manual can, but not if you take the speed up past 65mph.
You would have to drive carefully though to achieve a true 40mpg.

I'm pretty confident a loaded AWD automatic, 173+hp spec sky-d won't return the magical 40mpg highway (US) outside of a vacuum (or an overly optimistic onboard readout:) but we can dream...

Last edited:

Good call.

We only get one version of the diesel in Australia: 129kw/420nm

My first CX5 diesel was a 2013 GT AWD auto.
My current is a 2016 Akera AWD auto (Akera is like a GT with all option packs included as standard)

I will amend my post to include ths

Back