2014 Mazda CX-5 GT - Rear Differential Location

gn9012

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
I have watched a ton of YouTube videos, searched threads, and read the owner's manual... I can't figure out where the rear differential location is for me to change the fluid. I've spent a couple hours on it and I'm totally lost. All the diagrams and pictures I've seen are zoomed in to show the fill/drain locations but I haven't even gotten that far because I can't find them! Anyone have any advice on how to locate these? Thanks!

I'll get a picture later ( if not dark )if not tomorrow. Thread moved to appropriate section.

I have watched a ton of YouTube videos, searched threads, and read the owner's manual... I can't figure out where the rear differential location is for me to change the fluid. I've spent a couple hours on it and I'm totally lost. All the diagrams and pictures I've seen are zoomed in to show the fill/drain locations but I haven't even gotten that far because I can't find them! Anyone have any advice on how to locate these? Thanks!

see link here, note the drain plug is horizontal and space is tight, see how to link below....

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850370-Rear-Diff-and-Transfer-Case-Fluid-Change-tools-parts-and-links

CX-5 transfer case drain and fill plug locations ?

for rear differential, is it located between the rear wheel axle, look for that funny odd looking U-shape extension that's meant to be a jack point (red oval) to help orient yourself, the fill and drain plugs are facing the open U side of the funny odd looking extension (see picture below) make sure to loosen fill plug first before loosening drain plug. Hopes this helps, I haven't done it yet but I'll post a how to with pictures when I do it, good luck.

Last edited:
I found a picture online of a CX-5 from the back, I can see the funny looking extension and what I believe to be the rear diff drain plug, can a fellow CX-5 owner who has done the rear diff oil change please confirm, thanks very much.....

OFF TOPIC but this might be useful for some, found a video for the front differential transfer case for CX-5, drain is on the bottom vertical direction unlike the rear differential where the drain plug is horizontal....

Last edited:
Firstly you posted in a wrong place, it should be in "CX-5 Engine & Transmission" sub-forum. Hope Chris_Top_Her can move it.

Rear differential is located between two rear wheels as shown in the first graph on the right side. You'll see a drive shaft from front transfer case to rear differential. You remove fill plug first measuring the oil level before you remove drain plug. And you need a little more than 1 quart to change both front transfer case and rear differential gear lubricant. Make sure safety first if you want to rise your CX-5 for gear lub change. Finally, make sure to read two threads I listed before you do gear lub change. There's a long video made by CX5-SO in his thread showing the entire process in post #21, but unfortunately it's no longer available. Good luck.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.23.13%20PM.png

Rear Differential:
Screen%20Shot%202015-03-21%20at%204.22.22%20PM.png

Front Transfer Case:
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.21.16%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.21.25%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2012.21.38%20PM.png

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links
when to change rear differential fluid?

Do you have AWD?

Do you have AWD?
I guess we really should ask this question first! :)

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's not AWD. I am not seeing the rear differential like in the pictures and the online documentation, which is why I'm so confused. I see something similar in the front of the vehicle that looks like it has a drain plug. The regular oil is on the passenger side and this unknown drain plug is on the driver's side. I've already moved onto changing the oil on my Tacoma so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get any good pictures at the moment. I can try to upload some in a few hours.

My father-in-law is thinking that it's a FWD and has no rear differential, and that the item I've located in the front on the driver's side is what I'm after. Thoughts?

Sorry about posting in the wrong area, too! I'm new.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's not AWD. I am not seeing the rear differential like in the pictures and the online documentation, which is why I'm so confused. I see something similar in the front of the vehicle that looks like it has a drain plug. The regular oil is on the passenger side and this unknown drain plug is on the driver's side. I've already moved onto changing the oil on my Tacoma so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get any good pictures at the moment. I can try to upload some in a few hours.

My father-in-law is thinking that it's a FWD and has no rear differential, and that the item I've located in the front on the driver's side is what I'm after. Thoughts?

Sorry about posting in the wrong area, too! I'm new.
Yep there's your problem if you have a front wheel drive you don't have a rear differential.

I went out to grab a quick picture so I might as well post it now.

oCmV96t.jpg

So do I need to change the fluid in the front item on the driver's side? And what is that called? The CX-5 is at 30,000 miles for reference.

⋯ So do I need to change the fluid in the front item on the driver's side? And what is that called? The CX-5 is at 30,000 miles for reference.
mazdadude was right, your CX-5 is FWD hence has no front transfer case and rear differential! :)

If you see a drain plug looks exactly the same as engine oil drain on the driver's side, that's automatic transmission fluid drain. It uses the same 8mm Allen hex to loose it. Although ATF drain-and-fill is not in Mazda's scheduled maintenance, but most forum members here seem to agree changing it at 30,000 ~ 60,000-mile interval. I personally would do it before 50,000 miles. See this:

ATF Drain/Fill

Was this question for real?

The situation may seem silly, but some fwd cars do have LSDs on the rear. If so it's usually a performance item though, not something you find on run of the mills. Someone coming from trucks might makenthat mistake .

Was this question for real?
I believe it's real. There're incidences on VW Passat's that some people were doing engine oil change for the first time and drained transmission fluid due to longitudinally mounted engine and two drains are close-by. Worse they didn't know what happened and pouring in fresh oil into engine with full amount of oil. They tried to drive the Passat but the car wouldn't move and the engine sounded strange. And they posted the question asking why! At least OP did ask the ATF drain question before he's trying to remove the ATF drain plug.

Thank you everyone for the help! Yes, this question is for real. The owner's manual states that at the 30,000 mile check-up, the rear differential fluid is to be replaced. We recently bought our first house so I'm taking a stab at car maintenance for the first time. Thanks again to everyone except erhayes for teaching me something new today (rockon)

Thank you everyone for the help! Yes, this question is for real. The owner's manual states that at the 30,000 mile check-up, the rear differential fluid is to be replaced. We recently bought our first house so I'm taking a stab at car maintenance for the first time. Thanks again to everyone except erhayes for teaching me something new today (rockon)

I think that's the first time I've seen him post something like that tbh. He's a good guy didn't mean any harm.

I found a picture online of a CX-5 from the back, I can see the funny looking extension and what I believe to be the rear diff drain plug, can a fellow CX-5 owner who has done the rear diff oil change please confirm, thanks very much.....

Actually, can someone who has done the rear diff oil change confirm tomcat's photo, is that indeed the drain plug in his picture ? also is there enough ground clearance to do this without ramps ? I really don't like have all four wheels up in the air, scares the hell out of me.....

Back