2014 Mazda CX-5 GT - Rear Differential Location

Actually, can someone who has done the rear diff oil change confirm tomcat's photo, is that indeed the drain plug in his picture ? also is there enough ground clearance to do this without ramps ? I really don't like have all four wheels up in the air, scares the hell out of me.....

confirmed this morning, no need to lift rear wheels to service the rear differential,

there is enough ground clearance to get in there and service the rear differential,

as another member said, the fill plug space is tight, it'll be easier to use an open end wrench to remove it.

make sure to loosen the fill plug first before releasing the drain plug

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

off topic: seems Mazda didn't learn from their 1st gen CX-9 transfer case problems,
new CX-9 are having issues already, undersized and leaking oil .... see link....

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859423-Snow-with-my-2016-CX-9-issues&p=6501653#post6501653

Just an FYI. I was at my local Mazda dealer, bs'ing with my parts guy after picking up a few things and he pointed to 3 2017 xfer cases on the shelf he was replacing and already had done 6 or 7 already. They overheated, puked all the oil out the breather and fried. The CX-5 xfer case is fine for the weight and power it has, but is way under engineered for the weight and torque of the new CX9. The diff in the 1st Gen is actually a better piece than the 2nd Gen, especially if you change the crap Mazda oil with a high quality synthetic. By the way these were all low mile jobs, anywhere from 700 to 3,500 miles. I'll keep my low mile (<17,000) 2012 GT AWD over the 2nd Gen all day long. YMMV! BTW, I test drove a signature when they first came out and the torque steer, wind noise, lack of top end power, less storage, styling, etc made me love mine even more! My wife's 2015 CX5 GT AWD is about to turn 70,000 miles and going strong. I did change the xfer, rear diff to RL very early, drain and replace the tranny with MZ, changed plugs, cabin and engine air filters regularly, etc.

Last edited:
confirmed this morning, no need to lift rear wheels to service the rear differential,

there is enough ground clearance to get in there and service the rear differential,

as another member said, the fill plug space is tight, it'll be easier to use an open end wrench to remove it.

All good advices but I strongly recommend getting "shallow" sockets like CX5-SO suggested in this thread: Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links. Never have any good experience of using open end wrench which is very easy to strip the bolt head, and you can't use torque wrench with it unless it's crowfoot wrench. I only use flare nut open end wrench for brake lines which is not feasible to use a socket or box end wrench.

I believe the CX-5 still needs to get lifted to do the front transfer case. But it's good to know we can check the gear lubricant level in rear differential from factory without lifting the vehicle.

off topic: seems Mazda didn't learn from their 1st gen CX-9 transfer case problems,
new CX-9 are having issues already, undersized and leaking oil .... see link....

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859423-Snow-with-my-2016-CX-9-issues&p=6501653#post6501653
Well you can't post anything negative here or a doctor may go after you ⋯ (whistle)

New CX-9 inherited CX-5's i-Activ AWD system and looks like the unit is under-designed a bit for heavier CX-9. But I wouldn't keep 1st-gen CX-9 too long either even if I keep up the gear lub change for front transfer case which doesn't have a drain hole! The reason is the potential expensive repair on water pump in its 3.7L V6 from Ford! The engine and transmission have to be separated to replace the pump as it's sitting in between! What a clever design (by Ford)! 3 spark plugs in rear bank are very difficult to change too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

new CX-9 are having issues already, undersized and leaking oil .... see link...

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ith-my-2016-CX-9-issues&p=6501653#post6501653

Wow. Seems like a major blunder for their flagship vehicle. Like some one else posted, I hope they're installing a new and improved version.

Back