The Jeep is back in the driveway.

I can't stand the bird-beak like front end... and the elevated lights... blech!

But that's just me. Loved the old school Cherokees, Grand Wagoneers and CJs.
I actually live the squinty DRLs. Lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I can't stand the bird-beak like front end... and the elevated lights... blech!

But that's just me. Loved the old school Cherokees, Grand Wagoneers and CJs.

Not a big fan either but it has just enough little tweaks that make it a little more appealing. But overall, definitely not a great design imo. I think most people buying the Cherokee are simply Jeep fans or just can't afford the GC. Now that vehicle is a looker.

Meh. Here I am just wondering how it merges into traffic, the real-world MPG, and how it does on wet/icy roads. All this stylistic crap couldn't matter less to me.
Hasn't rained or snowed. It was at 25.4 mpg when she dropped it off. It's been dropping ever since. #leadfoot. Merged just fine in traffic.

Felt a little lack of power, or is it the extra thousand pounds today. Had just gotten on the freeway and tried to pass someone. Eek. Fail. It just didn't get up and go like the Mazda would have...

We had a TJ growing up, loved it.

I agree that I like the old school Cherokees, not a fan of the look of the new ones.

I've got a '00 4.0L TJ with a 5-speed. I keep that around for the real rough stuff.

IMO..an absolutely terrible road vehicle but lots of fun off-road.

Well.....I couldn't take it anymore. Say what you want about these CUVs and how they are all the same and blablabla.... I simply couldn't take the boringness any more. Look, it's a fact in my book: the CX5 is more fun to drive. No, it's not a race car. But it is nimble. It is quick. As my favorite reviewer said "the CX5 isn't just willing to turn, it's almost eager at the prospect!" Seriously. Anyone who doesn't understand the draw of this car, man, that's fine. But don't try to tell me it's "no different then *insert car here*" because you bought a car that's just an appliance to you. ;)

As for the Jeep...I could still drive it for 3 more days. Use my mom's gas. Instead....

7f48686c7cc3699d1e98388d6dcf3044.jpg

This test drive is over. Zoom Zoom....

As my favorite reviewer said "the CX5 isn't just willing to turn, it's almost eager at the prospect!" Seriously. Anyone who doesn't understand the draw of this car, man, that's fine. But don't try to tell me it's "no different then *insert car here*" because you bought a car that's just an appliance to you. ;)

As for the Jeep...I could still drive it for 3 more days. Use my mom's gas. Instead....

This test drive is over. Zoom Zoom....

Completely agree- I'd use my own gas and drive the Mazda too:)
Took the bimmer today as its been awhile- there are things I like more about it- its way quicker- it can rwd power on oversteer, it has higher limits but its really no more rewarding to drive (to work at least) than the Mazda- which has better steering feel and a more linear and predictable power delivery.

Last edited:
I've got a '00 4.0L TJ with a 5-speed. I keep that around for the real rough stuff.

IMO..an absolutely terrible road vehicle but lots of fun off-road.

Nice. We had a '97 4.0L TJ with a 5-speed as well.

Definitely a terrible road vehicle, but it was fantastic because we lived in the mountains so it had it's utility and was fun to take around some rougher roads in the mountains. We also had a snowplow for it too in the winter.

Yeah 7eregrine...I would have switched back to my Mazda too :)

Sometimes it's just not worth using someone else's gas.

Completely agree- I'd use my own gas and drive the Mazda too:)
Took the bimmer today as its been awhile- there are things I like more about it- its way quicker- it can rwd power on oversteer, it has higher limits but its really no more rewarding to drive (to work at least) than the Mazda- which has better steering feel and a more linear and predictable power delivery.

I've read this about the new BMW's, even ///M's. Steering died with the E46.

I'd argue post my E82 or even awd E84s which were still hydraulic..but yes, it did. Amazing they got e-assist so terribly wrong.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more 7. The CX5 isn't going to break any records anywhere but it's just the way it handles itself. I think that quote says it best.

So I did drive it one more time today so I can gas it up for mom. (BTW the Avg MPG when I got it as stated: 25.#... we're at 20.9 now).
And was again disappointed. So very glad I didn't get this car.
I was on the highway doing 55-60. Wanted to speed up to make a move into an opening. Very flat response from the accelerator.
If I could use SPORT mode I might have had the juice, but the Jeep uses a dial for selecting which AWD mode to be in (as pictured above). How are you supposed to fumble with that on the highway and you need a bit more speed? Answer? You don't. Jeep didn't build a drivers car, they built an dirt road capable car.

/EDIT/ Also received a CD in the mail yesterday. Supported one of my favorite artists through https://www.pledgemusic.com/ CD was laying in the foyer this morning. Grabbed it on my way out the door. Hop in the Jeep, drop kid off at school. Open CD... no CD player. Curses! The one time I want a CD player. lol

Last edited:
I end up using my CD player on my CX-5 a lot actually. Not having one would really bug me LOL.

On road trips, I actually take a handful of CDs and use the CD player most of the time. This is to save data and battery on my phone, which I use for navigation.

On road trips, I actually take a handful of CDs and use the CD player most of the time. This is to save data and battery on my phone, which I use for navigation.

I ripped all my CD to a low profile USB drive and it's permanently placed in the USB slot.

I ripped all my CD to a low profile USB drive and it's permanently placed in the USB slot.

Great idea. Didn't think of just leaving it plugged into the USB slot. However, how is the sound quality compared to playing using the CD?

If anything though, this seems to be a great workaround for the 2017 and future models that will not come with a CD player.

Back