Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diesel vs gas torque/mph graph

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5

It's tough to say. When I'm driving gas engine cars and trucks any more I'm kinda let down compared to driving a Cummins powered truck. Depending on the torque available at highway speed it may surprise you. No I'm used to have 800lb of torque on hand and at highways speed there is no turbo lag so it builds boost and starts pulling pretty quick. If the cx5 diesel can match the passing g power of my work truck even at 4.5 tons and shaped like a brick then I will buy one as soon as I can.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Registered Member

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by MA2LA View Post
    It's tough to say. When I'm driving gas engine cars and trucks any more I'm kinda let down compared to driving a Cummins powered truck. Depending on the torque available at highway speed it may surprise you. No I'm used to have 800lb of torque on hand and at highways speed there is no turbo lag so it builds boost and starts pulling pretty quick. If the cx5 diesel can match the passing g power of my work truck even at 4.5 tons and shaped like a brick then I will buy one as soon as I can.
    How much horsepower does your Cummins powered truck make?

Looking at the performance numbers for a BMW 328d, which was a long term car for Motor Trend, its 45-65 mph time is only 4.1 seconds. That's the same 45-65 mph time as a 2016 Mazda CX-5. For a car with 280 lb-ft of torque, I expected its acceleration to be faster honestly. This is what makes me think 175 hp on the CX-5 diesel might not be significantly fast enough for highway passing compared to the NA 2.5 engine.

These are all just assumptions from me though. I will know for sure once I can test drive one.

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5

The truck is 380hp I think but even my older 99 Dodge with 215hp and 430lb always did great on the highway. Of course it all depends on what some people consider hwy passing . I look at more the 60 to 80 run more than the 45 to 65. I need to look up the numbers on my trucks and my old cx7 that was alot of fun.

Registered Member

The truck is 380hp I think but even my older 99 Dodge with 215hp and 430lb always did great on the highway. Of course it all depends on what some people consider hwy passing . I look at more the 60 to 80 run more than the 45 to 65. I need to look up the numbers on my trucks and my old cx7 that was alot of fun.
    Torque is great for city driving, horsepower is great for highway passing. If a car does mediocre in 45-65 mph, it will do the same or slightly worse at highway speeds (60-80 mph). Not to mention, because of gearing, cars will typically be making more torque when doing 45-65 mph passes vs 60-80 mph passes.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5

If that is the case then with full-size trucks it's almost completely backwards. They are quick in the city but the passing power from 60 on up is where they really shine because they are able to build the boost quick and stay on the power curve longer. Before I bought my 2014 I drove the same basic trucks , one with the 6.7 Cummins and the other with the 6.4 hemi, the hemi was a little peppier around town but on the highway the 6.7 was much stronger. Even in comparison with in the truck world. The Chevy and Ford's tend to be quicker in a drag from dead stop but on the highway the Dodge tended to perform better and it had the lower HP. I'm looking forward to driving one when the dealer gets one. The biggest thing will be how they program the trans to do it's job and that where manufacturers have gotten it wrong may time before.

Registered Member

If that is the case then with full-size trucks it's almost completely backwards. They are quick in the city but the passing power from 60 on up is where they really shine because they are able to build the boost quick and stay on the power curve longer. Before I bought my 2014 I drove the same basic trucks , one with the 6.7 Cummins and the other with the 6.4 hemi, the hemi was a little peppier around town but on the highway the 6.7 was much stronger. Even in comparison with in the truck world. The Chevy and Ford's tend to be quicker in a drag from dead stop but on the highway the Dodge tended to perform better and it had the lower HP. I'm looking forward to driving one when the dealer gets one. The biggest thing will be how they program the trans to do it's job and that where manufacturers have gotten it wrong may time before.
    It all depends on where the torque is being generated in the RPM range. A flat torque curve all the way to redline means that in WOT situations, the vehicle will still feel really fast at high RPM. Considering one of your trucks has at least 200+ hp and at least 400 lb-ft of torque, I think it is enough to make it go fast at highway speeds when passing.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

was 175ps sport manual, now 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the CX-5 diesel.

The performance is good, everything about the performance will put a smile on your face.
    The 150ps is the sweeter engine it revs without effort and has good performance, the 175ps is quicker but not by that much, in the UK both are rated the same on the government tests, not that means anything in the real world, but it worth noting.

I tow a 1565kg caravan, and my next one due is 1636kg, and i expect it to tow with out effort, in fact I'm having the caravan plated to 1700kg.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12