Speedometer stopped on the wrong side of the stopper

bartsitter

:
mazda
Wonder anyone will able to give me some help to fix this problem. I have a 2002 Protege5; after changing the timing belt, the car was shifting funny once on the freeway -- maybe it was just me being too sensitive. I stopped the car on the side and re-started it, driving it with no problems. However, the speedometer stopped on the wrong side of the stopper. TRUST ME, I was only driving about 60mph, NOT 150, LOL. Since then, the speedometer can't show any speed since the needle cannot go beyond " 0 ". I think there are some speedometer reset procedure but I can't find any for 2002 Protege5. (I found one for Chrysler on Youtube but it didn't work for Protege.) Does anyone know how to reset the speedometer so the needle will go back to the right side of the stopper and show correct speed. I have tried to unplug the battery and it didn't help. Thanks for any advice in advance.

You probably need to replace your speed sensor, or maybe it was not reconnected after the timing belt change?

Got it fixed. Thanks for everybody's help.

Wonder anyone will able to give me some help to fix this problem. I have a 2002 Protege5; after changing the timing belt, the car was shifting funny once on the freeway -- maybe it was just me being too sensitive. I stopped the car on the side and re-started it, driving it with no problems. However, the speedometer stopped on the wrong side of the stopper. TRUST ME, I was only driving about 60mph, NOT 150, LOL. Since then, the speedometer can't show any speed since the needle cannot go beyond " 0 ". I think there are some speedometer reset procedure but I can't find any for 2002 Protege5. (I found one for Chrysler on Youtube but it didn't work for Protege.) Does anyone know how to reset the speedometer so the needle will go back to the right side of the stopper and show correct speed. I have tried to unplug the battery and it didn't help. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Thanks everybody's help and advice. Finally got it fixed and have tested it on local streets. It seems to work fine.
I have research on internet but it doesn't seem like the Protege5 has any odometer reset procedures.
What I finally done was to take out the whole dash display. Took the front lens off and just flip the needle counter clockwise back to zero.
It wasn't too difficult to do but needed to be careful in order not to scratch the lens and damage any thing else.

Last edited:
I took pictures of "before" and "after" but unable to upload it on this website. Basically, the needle was swing clockwise, went to the MAX speed and stopped at the wrong side of the stopper (at ZERO MPH) and after fixing it, (by moving it back counter-clockwise,) the needle now went back to the upper side of the stopper and stopped right at " 0." Problem solved. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back