Transmission rebuild

David1206

Contributor
:
2002 Protege5
Recently the car has been shifting weird and on the way home from work the other day I lost 3rd and 4th. Just drained and changed transmission fluid and now I still wont shift into 3rd and now I don't have reverse either. Has anyone tackled a rebuild by themselves?

No but there's videos on it. Watch a how to for putting in LSD into the protege transmission and you'll see how to take it apart then it's just reversed putting it together.

I paid $375 for mine. But I have a second transmission that I'm going to rebuild for the fact that I don't have to go find another transmission

Would anyone know the roundabout cost to rebuild one? Or would it be cheaper to get a used one?

boostdprotegelx said in another thread he had a few transmissions he could sell. Shipping might be the killer, but I would try contacting him. Probably cheaper than a rebuilt, and not as hit and miss as a junkyard transmission might be.

Yeah I thought about a junk yard but I don't want to pay for a used one not knowing where it came from. Do you know if he still has them?

I found a 5 speed in a JY for about $150, but it is a crap shoot. Rebuild kits start at about $1k, can be done for a little less if you skip certain things. The lock nuts alone are about $100 but if you are careful you can re-use them.

Back