Super sloppy gear shift

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Hey all,

I tried finding a thread on this so forgive me if I'm repeating here... My 5 speed gear shift is really sloppy. In gear and in neutral. I'm assuming just need to replace the bushings but when I look online I only find 2. Are there only 2 bushings I need to replace or are there more than that? I want to do it all in one shot...thanks!

In my case almost all of the slop was due to part #4..
There is something called "bronze oil" bushings available.
(I made my own bushings)

Hey all,

I tried finding a thread on this so forgive me if I'm repeating here... My 5 speed gear shift is really sloppy. In gear and in neutral. I'm assuming just need to replace the bushings but when I look online I only find 2. Are there only 2 bushings I need to replace or are there more than that? I want to do it all in one shot...thanks!

There are actually 6 of them, and they are all the same size as the 2 listed in the parts catalog. I used the Mazda ones, they're $5 each and work fine. 4 of them replace easily, and the last 2 are on a pin that is not removable. I drilled it out and used a bolt i had laying around that fit perfect. haven't had a problem since :) I think it is a 1/2" bolt but can't remember for sure, i have a bunch of grade 8 hardware in my toolbox (spart parts from other projects) and found the one that fit correctly.

Ok, where can I get an after market replacement for #16? I don't know if my google isn't working or what...(I'm kidding). Mazda dealer is on the other side of town, and getting one shipped to my door is 3-4 times the price of the part. I'm not trying to spend a bunch, this is my daily driver and I'm just trying to keep her in one piece Just passed 177K miles...
In my case almost all of the slop was due to part #4..
There is something called "bronze oil" bushings available.
(I made my own bushings)

the 6 bushings in the shift linkage that wear out and cause the slop are all the same bushing (part-wise). however the parts catalog only shows that 2 of them are replaceable. (#4 in your diagram). if you go to a mazda dealer and try to find the other 4 bushings they'll try to sell you a new linkage set.

Here's my .02: I got the CS bushings (Awesome people, their office is beautiful!) and they work great. If I'm going to tear it apart and fix it, why replace when you can upgrade?
That said, I love the CS bushings, and I also did Poly stabilizer bushings at the same time. I still had trouble shifting (motor mounts), but the linkage was firm. Still a little wobble, but much better.

If you're on a budget, go for it. If you can afford the CS ones, do that instead. I think of all of my mods like the rear motor mount: go through the hassle and put in another OE part that will wear out, or get the good stuff in there and do it once, and never think about it again.

Hey which 2 are on the pin that requires machining? #3 or #16?

Anyway, I ordered the 2 on the shifter base for 6 bucks delivered on eBay. I wasn't messing with anything else, so worked under the car. Had already bent the heat shield a bit for access, rather than unbolting it's rusted anchors. Really had to pry the old ones out of the rusty shifter shaft hole. Then the new ones wouldn't fit, especially with the bolt and everything. The key was to clean out the hole pretty well. I didn't resort to a dremel wheel - the clearance is kinda tight. I started dragging a rag back and forth thru it and ended up using some old deck chair webbing soaked in a little solvent. I also filed the rust down on the center of the bolt (between the 2 bushings where it was expanded with rust) so it would slip in. About 2 hours for all that, but I'd say 80% of the slop is gone. Been nagging on me for years. Real glad I did it.

Last edited:
... Had already bent the heat shield a bit for access, rather than unbolting it's rusted anchors...

You can't unbolt the anchors...
The bolts thread into weld-nuts and the welds break when you turn the bolt then you get the grinder out to cut off the boltheads...

Fricken rust !!!
Turns a twenty minute job into a weekend...

You can't unbolt the anchors...
The bolts thread into weld-nuts and the welds break when you turn the bolt then you get the grinder out to cut off the boltheads...

Fricken rust !!!
Turns a twenty minute job into a weekend...

wow that sucks. a 10mm socket any my heat shield was unbolted, no problems. i just had to break them loose from "snug" and it was easier to use my fingers to actually unscrew them. the top of my heat shield was caked with mud so i didn't "remove" it (to avoid the imminent shower of dirt raining on my face) but instead just slid it back 6 inches so i could get to the bottom of the shifter.

i don't see a speck of rust anywhere underneath my car. it's nice living in the south :) i feel bad for you guys up north

Same here, i'm from el paso and i love rust free cars, but ended picking up the a mp3 that was brought down from up north and grabbed it. Let me say i wish i would have thought it through a little more. But we learn from our mistakes.

I tried to remove the heat shield...got the first bolt loosened and it just kept spinning. So much for that. Was able to replace all 6 bushings though after breaking the bolt on the front link. One call to the dealer gave me all new hardware. Just finished earlier today and took it around the block...feels like a gated shifter! Will have to get used to it, but it sure beats having to guess which gear I am going in to!

Back