2016 CX-9 Hands On Off Steering Wheel feature?

Stryker medic

:
2016 Mazda CX9 Signature White Pearl/ 2013 Mazda CX9 GT
I noticed this feature/sensor went off last week as I was driving on a quiet back road on my way home. It went off showing this warning on the HUD accompanied by a beeping sound alerting me to have my hands back on the steering wheel. Very usable added safety feature I believe specially on long drives.

I think there's some sensors embedded on the steering wheel itself that detects hand grip or friction which Mazda has not emphasized. I did some research but somehow could not find it in the manual or online other than Tesla's steering wheel feature that almost similar to this.

Last edited:
This Driver Attention Alert didn't mention this specific feature though and as stated, it triggers that beep sound and warning once driver fatigue is detected and will come into play at a speed of 65 miles/hr. This specific feature I mentioned detects if no hand/s are on the steering wheel regardless of what speed you are currently running as you can see in the picture(39mph). Alarm triggered with the sound and this display after about 10 seconds once hand/s are off the steering wheel.

But I'm sure Mazda got this included with this DAA safety feature. They just forgot to add this in detail for some reason.

Last edited:
I noticed this feature/sensor went off last week as I was driving on a quiet back road on my way home. It went off showing this warning on the HUD accompanied by a beeping sound alerting me to have my hands back on the steering wheel. Very usable added safety feature I believe specially on long drives.

I think there's some sensors embedded on the steering wheel itself that detects hand grip or friction which Mazda has not emphasized. I did some research but somehow could not find it in the manual or online other than Tesla's steering wheel feature that almost similar to this.

I believe the sensors are not embeded on steering wheel itself (touch sensitive) but rather if no steering input or movement is made then it triggers the warning...neat feature nonetheless

I believe the sensors are not embeded on steering wheel itself (touch sensitive) but rather if no steering input or movement is made then it triggers the warning...neat feature nonetheless

Have you tried tested your signature if it has this feature though on the steering wheel? Just for curiosity's sake.

Have you tried tested your signature if it has this feature though on the steering wheel? Just for curiosity's sake.

Yes I actually discovered it by accident while driving on the hwy last month with the MRCC engaged and I was just testing the LKA/LDW and when I took my hands off the wheel for a few secs the warning came up - which I found pretty cool as a neat safety feature! My previous Volvo didn't have this feature but I read in newer Volvo models that it'll give the same warning to keep hands on the wheel (obviously if no steering input is made...) - I would have loved to have the more up to date version of the MRCC that is coming out in the new CX5 where it has stop and go feature not like our CX9 that deactivates below 19mph

Yes, it works based on sensing human control of the steering wheel, not touch based.

Unfortunately for me, I was planning on setting adaptive cruise control with lane keep assist and having a little nap on the way to work.

The manual mentions the steering wheel warning on page 4-122 but there is not much information.
 If the driver takes his or her hands off
the steering wheel (not holding the
steering wheel), the warning sound is
activated and an alert is indicated in the
multi-information display.
If the steering wheel is held lightly,
or depending on the road conditions,
the system may detect that you have
released the steering wheel (not holding
the steering wheel) even if you are
holding it, and display a message in the
multi-information display
If the steering wheel is held lightly,
or depending on the road conditions,
the system may detect that you have
released the steering wheel (not holding
the steering wheel) even if you are
holding it, and display a message in the
multi-information display

If you have cruise control active and the message displays and you do not put your hands back on the steering wheel it will disengage the cruise control.

Latest posts

Back