Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to: Mazda CX-5 all key lost

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Jbock9 View Post
    Bought my key for $45ish on amazon (uncut) and the F100 tool for like $115.
    Did you just do add a key on this or did you erase the first key and then continue as shown here?

If add a key, then it's worth a shot for me. If erase the original key, then it's a bit scarey.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

For mine, I had the same thought. I had to erase all keys and then add again. Did not find out until it was already done, so kind of a sink of swim situation at that point. Got it figured out, however red light is still on to this day. Never could get rid of it (due to programming a 3 button key instead of 2 button). But, until my wife complains, I am not going to buy a new key online.. haha

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring

Is it possible to program a new key to match your existing key? Or do all keys need to be wiped and programmed together? I see 'add key' as an option in obdstar menu, which is why I ask. But I've been told my another forum member that the dealership must verify ownership and only they can program a single key to match an existing. Which makes sense from a security stand point, but didn't know if obdstar bypasses needing whatever ownership code the dealer is needing. I see obdstar advertised as 'Pincode Free' but not sure if that's something different.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

I asked the same thing above.

I think the add a key needs to read an existing code to program the second. This programmer doesn't need to read that code, so it erases it on the original key and sets a new code for it and additional keys.

I just bought a spare key but am still afraid to try this as I cannot afford to be stuck with no working key. Dealer programming and cutting is $80, Tasca Mazda in Cranston, RI. Not a bad price at all but for $40 more, I'd rather have the programmer for the future as I know my girlfriend will be losing or destroying keys on a semi-regular basis!

I would jump on it if someone can confirm that they can simply "add a key".

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring

Yeah I was actually thinking of parking outside my dealership when reprogramming just incase the worst happened, lol.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I had to erase all keys. Would not be a bad idea to be close to dealer when doing this in case you cannot figure it out.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

So, what prevents someone with a spare key to copy yours by using this thing? A valet can do this without your knowing it.

Seems like a major security flaw!

You really think some valet is going to go through all that trouble to copy your key? Really?

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Yes, I do.

What trouble? A two minute job.

Think about this like a rational human for a second...
    Ok...I'm going to buy this thing...take it to work with me and wait for a Mazda to roll in. Make sure I get it instead of one of the other 5 valets.
    Drive it away. Take at least 10 minutes to do this...not two. Boss won't miss me. Copy this dude's keys. And then im going to steal his car?!?! Yeah.. ok. How far you think he going to get with a stolen car when it's pretty obvious who stole it?
    Hmmm....where did Joe go? Last I saw him he was parking a Mazda. But he stole it apparently? For what? To go for a joyride? To part it out.. because Mazdas are a hot commodity?
    So you know any valets? I do. My best friend is one, part time. Make $150 for 4 hours of easy work.
    Paranoid much?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2015 Mazda Cx-5 Touring Sport 2.5l AWD

Just got my F100 from AliExpress 115$ 2 weeks shipping. Worked flawlessly. The all key lost function did not work, probably because i had one working key. I believe I chose start ignition and then it asked to erase all keys, and followed the prompts after 2 min-literally, I had two working keys. I had the red key symbol flashing at first, possibly bc i had two working keys in the vehicle. I think ill be able to cut the ebay key on my reg key cutting machine at work, forget the 70$ at the dealership. Ill be able to tell right away if its going south cutting it. This is all on my 2015 cx-5 key fobs with lock, unlock, and panic.

Registered Member

Anyone here in NYC metro area have this gizmo who can help me program an extra key?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123