Guide Programming Mazda CX-5 keys

Try disconnecting the battery for 20 mins then reconnecting it. I found had an issue where the red key light and red security light was illuminated after I had disconnected the battery and then used the physical cut key to unlock the doors. Disconnecting the battery for 20 mins then reconnecting it resolved it.

Hello, i have 2015 cx5 and i lost all keys , whitch type of key ID i need for programing? where or how i can check what type of key i need? if i break window or door lock i can program key with f100 when alarm is working? Thanks!

Yeah.. no luck with the red key light on the dash. Everything works fine. Guess we*ll drive it until it bothers us and then take to dealer, unless anyone has any suggestions. May try resetting computer by disconnecting battery. Maybe just need to reset error codes stored in system.

If this video holds true for my 2016 CX5, then my issue lies in the fact that I bought a 4 button when I had a 3 button. Must use same type of key... darn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snuHAjfK7-A

Did you do what Lohieman suggested? Curios...

Did you do what Lohieman suggested? Curios...

To be honest, have not tired disconnecting battery. Have been busy with DMV, selling wife's old car, and fixing VCG on mine. I'll attempt this week.

Everything has been working fine and she has not complained about the key light so it kind of became low priority for me.

Quoted for Confimration. Dealer told me $300 too.

Yeah they tend to be a bit overpriced. They quoted that high but it included the cut too. Was a bit lower with only the programming and key purchase. Bought my key for $45ish on amazon (uncut) and the F100 tool for like $115. Much cheaper option. Just dealing with the light now.

Hello, i have 2015 cx5 and i lost all keys , whitch type of key ID i need for programing? where or how i can check what type of key i need? if i break window or door lock i can program key with f100 when alarm is working? Thanks!

Some may ask if you are attempting to steal a car Vyte... but with that said, I would just use the OEM part number if you can find it online. I would ask a locksmith to get the car door opened before breaking window. You can disconnect the battery to stop the alarm. Then the F100 tool will be able to wipe the memory clean of all old keys before adding new key. Locksmith cost may be less than new window.

Yeah they tend to be a bit overpriced. They quoted that high but it included the cut too. Was a bit lower with only the programming and key purchase. Bought my key for $45ish on amazon (uncut) and the F100 tool for like $115. Much cheaper option. Just dealing with the light now.
I did get a spare in eBay cheap! Dealer charged $100 to program.

My route: 38$ for chinese 3 button replacement on ebay. Does not have mazda logo. we will see when it gets here how it stacks up to original. dealer wanted at least $200 for key and programming. called local locksmith, has f100 but said he has had better luck with different machine on other cars do f100 does not get alot of use, but has not tried to do a mazda cx-5 with it as he is waiting for an update. i told him I have instructions that are tried and true for f100 - wants 50$ for service. will let you guys know if it works, still waiting on shipment from china.

So, to be clear on this, if I have one key and just want to duplicate two more I would simply select "add" and it wouldn't affect the "original" key, right?

Bought my key for $45ish on amazon (uncut) and the F100 tool for like $115.

Did you just do add a key on this or did you erase the first key and then continue as shown here?

If add a key, then it's worth a shot for me. If erase the original key, then it's a bit scarey.

For mine, I had the same thought. I had to erase all keys and then add again. Did not find out until it was already done, so kind of a sink of swim situation at that point. Got it figured out, however red light is still on to this day. Never could get rid of it (due to programming a 3 button key instead of 2 button). But, until my wife complains, I am not going to buy a new key online.. haha

Is it possible to program a new key to match your existing key? Or do all keys need to be wiped and programmed together? I see 'add key' as an option in obdstar menu, which is why I ask. But I've been told my another forum member that the dealership must verify ownership and only they can program a single key to match an existing. Which makes sense from a security stand point, but didn't know if obdstar bypasses needing whatever ownership code the dealer is needing. I see obdstar advertised as 'Pincode Free' but not sure if that's something different.

I asked the same thing above.

I think the add a key needs to read an existing code to program the second. This programmer doesn't need to read that code, so it erases it on the original key and sets a new code for it and additional keys.

I just bought a spare key but am still afraid to try this as I cannot afford to be stuck with no working key. Dealer programming and cutting is $80, Tasca Mazda in Cranston, RI. Not a bad price at all but for $40 more, I'd rather have the programmer for the future as I know my girlfriend will be losing or destroying keys on a semi-regular basis!

I would jump on it if someone can confirm that they can simply "add a key".

Yeah I was actually thinking of parking outside my dealership when reprogramming just incase the worst happened, lol.

I had to erase all keys. Would not be a bad idea to be close to dealer when doing this in case you cannot figure it out.

So, what prevents someone with a spare key to copy yours by using this thing? A valet can do this without your knowing it.

Seems like a major security flaw!

You really think some valet is going to go through all that trouble to copy your key? Really?

Think about this like a rational human for a second...
Ok...I'm going to buy this thing...take it to work with me and wait for a Mazda to roll in. Make sure I get it instead of one of the other 5 valets.
Drive it away. Take at least 10 minutes to do this...not two. Boss won't miss me. Copy this dude's keys. And then im going to steal his car?!?! Yeah.. ok. How far you think he going to get with a stolen car when it's pretty obvious who stole it?
Hmmm....where did Joe go? Last I saw him he was parking a Mazda. But he stole it apparently? For what? To go for a joyride? To part it out.. because Mazdas are a hot commodity?
So you know any valets? I do. My best friend is one, part time. Make $150 for 4 hours of easy work.
Paranoid much?

Latest posts

Back