Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to: Mazda CX-5 all key lost

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Found a key on amazon, uncut for $42. All part numbers and FCC numbers match my current key, however the one online is a 4 button (a plus?). If anyone in the St. Louis area has an F100 or H100 OBDSTAR tool, maybe you could hook a brother up. Plenty of youtube videos of keys being programmed, does not seem too difficult.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Was able to program an additional key. I now have a 3 and 4 button version. However, the red key light is illuminated on the dash. Does anyone know how to get that to turn off?

Registered Member

2015 Mazda Cx-5 Touring Sport 2.5l AWD

How did you end up programming it. im in same boat, one key....

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by ApeScxit View Post
    How did you end up programming it. im in same boat, one key....
    I used the F100 tool as described in the beginning of this thread. It was pretty nerve wracking as I spent a good 30 minutes without any keys working for my car...

With that said, I ended up getting the keys to work for all functions by the end of the night. Only issue now is a red light constantly illuminated on my dash. Wife has driven car to work 2 days straight with no issues. I know the issue is in the programming, not the new key I bought, because I erased all keys and re-programmed the original key only to find the light was still on.

Going home tonight to try re-programming both keys in an attempt to get the light off. The eBay seller told me it was likely in my programming method, the car is confusing the two keys with one another.

The final step of programming requires you to put the key near the start button to enable key to start engine. I believe this is where I messed up, by placing both new keys near start button at same time, rather than one at a time, confusing the car.

From what I've gathered, there are 3 phases to programming. One, erase all keys. Two, program each key individually to lock/unlock car. Three, program each key individually (in same order as lock/unlock procedure) to start the car.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Yeah.. no luck with the red key light on the dash. Everything works fine. Guess we*ll drive it until it bothers us and then take to dealer, unless anyone has any suggestions. May try resetting computer by disconnecting battery. Maybe just need to reset error codes stored in system.

If this video holds true for my 2016 CX5, then my issue lies in the fact that I bought a 4 button when I had a 3 button. Must use same type of key... darn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snuHAjfK7-A
    Last edited by Jbock9; 08-14-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Touring

Try disconnecting the battery for 20 mins then reconnecting it. I found had an issue where the red key light and red security light was illuminated after I had disconnected the battery and then used the physical cut key to unlock the doors. Disconnecting the battery for 20 mins then reconnecting it resolved it.

Registered Member

cx5

Hello, i have 2015 cx5 and i lost all keys , whitch type of key ID i need for programing? where or how i can check what type of key i need? if i break window or door lock i can program key with f100 when alarm is working? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by soobaerodude View Post
    Has anyone used the obdstar? I'm getting a quote of about $300+ to get obtain a new key and have it programmed by a dealer
    Quoted for Confimration. Dealer told me $300 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbock9 View Post
    Yeah.. no luck with the red key light on the dash. Everything works fine. Guess we*ll drive it until it bothers us and then take to dealer, unless anyone has any suggestions. May try resetting computer by disconnecting battery. Maybe just need to reset error codes stored in system.

If this video holds true for my 2016 CX5, then my issue lies in the fact that I bought a 4 button when I had a 3 button. Must use same type of key... darn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snuHAjfK7-A
    Did you do what Lohieman suggested? Curios...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Did you do what Lohieman suggested? Curios...
    To be honest, have not tired disconnecting battery. Have been busy with DMV, selling wife's old car, and fixing VCG on mine. I'll attempt this week.

Everything has been working fine and she has not complained about the key light so it kind of became low priority for me.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Quoted for Confimration. Dealer told me $300 too.
    Yeah they tend to be a bit overpriced. They quoted that high but it included the cut too. Was a bit lower with only the programming and key purchase. Bought my key for $45ish on amazon (uncut) and the F100 tool for like $115. Much cheaper option. Just dealing with the light now.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Vyte View Post
    Hello, i have 2015 cx5 and i lost all keys , whitch type of key ID i need for programing? where or how i can check what type of key i need? if i break window or door lock i can program key with f100 when alarm is working? Thanks!
    Some may ask if you are attempting to steal a car Vyte... but with that said, I would just use the OEM part number if you can find it online. I would ask a locksmith to get the car door opened before breaking window. You can disconnect the battery to stop the alarm. Then the F100 tool will be able to wipe the memory clean of all old keys before adding new key. Locksmith cost may be less than new window.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbock9 View Post
    Yeah they tend to be a bit overpriced. They quoted that high but it included the cut too. Was a bit lower with only the programming and key purchase. Bought my key for $45ish on amazon (uncut) and the F100 tool for like $115. Much cheaper option. Just dealing with the light now.
    I did get a spare in eBay cheap! Dealer charged $100 to program.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2015 Mazda Cx-5 Touring Sport 2.5l AWD

My route: 38$ for chinese 3 button replacement on ebay. Does not have mazda logo. we will see when it gets here how it stacks up to original. dealer wanted at least $200 for key and programming. called local locksmith, has f100 but said he has had better luck with different machine on other cars do f100 does not get alot of use, but has not tried to do a mazda cx-5 with it as he is waiting for an update. i told him I have instructions that are tried and true for f100 - wants 50$ for service. will let you guys know if it works, still waiting on shipment from china.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12