:
Mazda CX-5 2.0 SE-L 5dr 2013
Devices:

two keys, a Mazda OBD key programmer
obdstar-F100-key-programming-1.jpg

obdstar-f100-768x768.jpg

Vehicle model: Mazda CX5

Steps:

(Notice: there are two selections ENT and ESC at the bottom of the OBDSTAR F-100 key pro. Press ENT means to continue,and press ESC means to return.)

Connect F100 to the car.

The programmer tool starts, and press ENT

Select Mazda CX5
obdstar-F100-key-programming-3.jpg

With start

Connecting

Switch ignition on

Follow the tip that all the smart key out of the car 1 meters away.

Communication

Press and hold the vehicle start button for 10 seconds, Start button indicator
obdstar-F100-key-programming-5.jpg

obdstar-F100-key-programming-4.jpg

Select all smart keys lost

Instruction: All smart keys will be erased, MIN keys are required

obdstar-F100-key-programming-6.jpg

Switch ignition on

Communication

Current number of smart key:2

Press ENTER to continue, press ESC to return

Configuring the system, please wait

Reading vehicle information

Current number of smart key: 0

Erase complete

Switch ignition off

Press press button and follow the steps

Use a new smart key to contact start button, press ENTER to continue

obdstar-F100-key-programming-7.jpg

Current number of the system smart keys: 1

Program success, whether to program next one? Press ENTER to continue ,press ESC to return.

obdstar-F100-key-programming-8.jpg

Switch ignition off and configuring the system, please wait

Press start button and follow the same steps like the first key

Then current number of smart keys: 2

You have to complete the following procedures, engine can be started:

Switch ignition off
Put on the brakes, the key 1 press start button to start the engine for 3 seconds, then turn off the ignition switch
If you want to add more keys, please repeat procedure 2, complete.
Finally, test the new keys to test if they can work.

obdstar-F100-key-programmin-9.jpg

obdstar-F100-key-programming-10.jpg

obdstar-F100-key-programming-11.jpg

How are you able to turn the ignition on without a key that's recognized by the system?

Thanks for the write up. That tool is about $136. How much would it cost to have it done from the dealer?

Thanks for the write up. That tool is about $136. How much would it cost to have it done from the dealer?
I've seen people say Mazda dealer will charge somewhere around $70 for programming the key fob and $10 for cutting the mechanical key.

Has anyone used the obdstar? I'm getting a quote of about $300+ to get obtain a new key and have it programmed by a dealer

Has anybody used this? Have to program several keys. But dont want to kill my last one.

Forgive me if this has been discussed but I can't find. I'm coming from Ford world, where if you have two good PATS keys, you can program spares yourself without any extra equipment like what had to be used here. Is that not an option with these remotes?

Thanks!

Excellent.

Can F100 be replaced by a phone application that 'talks' to OBDII?

I know this unit obdstar f100.Now it have update to OBDSTAR H100,support more vehicle mode and function.
I google the obdstar found the special website about OBDSTAR.

Has anyone else had success with this? Only have 1 key for my 2016 CX-5. Needing one programmed and cut, dealer quoted $250 for program alone..

Programming of additional keys take no more than 30 minutes, at the most. At our shop we charge a flat rate of 0.5 (half an hour) to program keys.

Found a key on amazon, uncut for $42. All part numbers and FCC numbers match my current key, however the one online is a 4 button (a plus?). If anyone in the St. Louis area has an F100 or H100 OBDSTAR tool, maybe you could hook a brother up. Plenty of youtube videos of keys being programmed, does not seem too difficult.

Was able to program an additional key. I now have a 3 and 4 button version. However, the red key light is illuminated on the dash. Does anyone know how to get that to turn off?

How did you end up programming it. im in same boat, one key....

I used the F100 tool as described in the beginning of this thread. It was pretty nerve wracking as I spent a good 30 minutes without any keys working for my car...

With that said, I ended up getting the keys to work for all functions by the end of the night. Only issue now is a red light constantly illuminated on my dash. Wife has driven car to work 2 days straight with no issues. I know the issue is in the programming, not the new key I bought, because I erased all keys and re-programmed the original key only to find the light was still on.

Going home tonight to try re-programming both keys in an attempt to get the light off. The eBay seller told me it was likely in my programming method, the car is confusing the two keys with one another.

The final step of programming requires you to put the key near the start button to enable key to start engine. I believe this is where I messed up, by placing both new keys near start button at same time, rather than one at a time, confusing the car.

From what I've gathered, there are 3 phases to programming. One, erase all keys. Two, program each key individually to lock/unlock car. Three, program each key individually (in same order as lock/unlock procedure) to start the car.

Yeah.. no luck with the red key light on the dash. Everything works fine. Guess we*ll drive it until it bothers us and then take to dealer, unless anyone has any suggestions. May try resetting computer by disconnecting battery. Maybe just need to reset error codes stored in system.

If this video holds true for my 2016 CX5, then my issue lies in the fact that I bought a 4 button when I had a 3 button. Must use same type of key... darn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snuHAjfK7-A

Last edited:
Back