Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to: Mazda CX-5 all key lost

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Jbock9 View Post
    Bought my key for $45ish on amazon (uncut) and the F100 tool for like $115.
    Did you just do add a key on this or did you erase the first key and then continue as shown here?

If add a key, then it's worth a shot for me. If erase the original key, then it's a bit scarey.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

For mine, I had the same thought. I had to erase all keys and then add again. Did not find out until it was already done, so kind of a sink of swim situation at that point. Got it figured out, however red light is still on to this day. Never could get rid of it (due to programming a 3 button key instead of 2 button). But, until my wife complains, I am not going to buy a new key online.. haha

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring

Is it possible to program a new key to match your existing key? Or do all keys need to be wiped and programmed together? I see 'add key' as an option in obdstar menu, which is why I ask. But I've been told my another forum member that the dealership must verify ownership and only they can program a single key to match an existing. Which makes sense from a security stand point, but didn't know if obdstar bypasses needing whatever ownership code the dealer is needing. I see obdstar advertised as 'Pincode Free' but not sure if that's something different.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

I asked the same thing above.

I think the add a key needs to read an existing code to program the second. This programmer doesn't need to read that code, so it erases it on the original key and sets a new code for it and additional keys.

I just bought a spare key but am still afraid to try this as I cannot afford to be stuck with no working key. Dealer programming and cutting is $80, Tasca Mazda in Cranston, RI. Not a bad price at all but for $40 more, I'd rather have the programmer for the future as I know my girlfriend will be losing or destroying keys on a semi-regular basis!

I would jump on it if someone can confirm that they can simply "add a key".

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring

Yeah I was actually thinking of parking outside my dealership when reprogramming just incase the worst happened, lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123