So what happens if...

This was done on YouTube... it will run until you turn off the car. Then obviously it will not restart...

For us, the big PITA with keyless is that my wife constantly leaves hers in her bag which she will occasionally leave in the car when we run errands - and then I can't get the car to lock - until she digs it out. The worst was when it first happened. I had picked her up at the airport, she had left the fob in one of her suitcases, we had to run to my in-laws for an emergency, so she stayed there with them and one of her suitcases, while my daughter and i made the 200+ km trip back to our house. Of course I had the other suitcase in the car with the fob. I thought the system was broken until we figured out that she'd left it in the suitcase that I had. Thankfully Japan is generally safe enough that my kid and I were able to leave the car unlocked at the rest areas.

Isn't it kind of impossible to lock the car without the fob? I've been in a keyless ignition vehicle TWICE, so I am totally ignorant of this stuff.

With our CX-5 the doors can be locked without the fob by using one of the two methods of locking the car from the inside. Either the electronic lock button that locks all the doors at once or the manual lock that only locks one door at a time. Lock the door(s) using one of those methods and then close the door.

I found this out yesterday. If a fob is left inside of the car (inside my wife's purse for example and I have mine in my pocket) and I use the inside electronic switch to lock all the doors (they do lock) then close the door. All of the doors unlock at once and I get a series of warning beeps. Now, if I do the exact same thing but I use the lock button on the outside door handle. I still get the series of warning beeps but all the doors lock. The manual explains this but it makes no sense to me.

The fob responds to two kinds of signals. RF and magnetic. RF is used when exchanging code info to unlock doors or start the car. Magnetic is used as a proximity detection.

Are you sure that it's magnetic and not short range RFID?

Are you sure that it's magnetic and not short range RFID?

For communication with the SMART KEY FOB, SMK ECU generates a request (challenge) as an encoded and modulated 125 kHz signal at the inductive antenna outputs and receives the SMART KEY FOB’s response via the external RF receiver.

The LF antenna amplifier/driver generates a 125 kHz sinusoidal carrier signal which is distributed to the different antennas.

This document describes the LF as magnetic: http://www.atmel.com/Images/Article_AC9_How-to-Define-the-LF-Drivers-Key.pdf Presumably this is good for security as magnetic fields fall off quickly.

Of course, implementations may vary.

Any thoughts on the reprogramming of a 2016 Mazda3 keyless fob to a 2017 CX-5? (Obviously the key won't work, and assuming they didn't do a redesign on the push button start mechanism) When I lost my car I kept one of the fobs for sentimental reasons. It would be nice if I could use the fob as a third.

I would assume that would work?!?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Some thoughts... since these newer smart key systems use LF magnetic fields to wake the fob up, the range for that is measured in centimeters. Most of those signal amplifying hacks probably won't work well, if at all.

Back