Another TPMS and Check Engine problem

:
2013 CX5-GS, AWD
So driving to work today, I got a flashing TPMS and (solid) Check engine light. Car started shuddering a bit. Couldn't tell if it was a flat tire or engine problem (it was mild) I pulled around a corner and turned the car off. Got out checked all tires and they were fine. Restarted the car, TPMS out, but check engine light still on. Car seemed to drive ok. Since I was only a couple of blocks from the dealer, I pulled in and left it with them for the day. Anxiously awaiting what code they pull (murphy's law that my code reader was at home and not in the glove box)

History: I had the corroded C15 connector issue back in December and they replaced the parts in mid-January. Car has been running well since then. I am starting to worry that the electrical system in this car will start nickel and diming me to death.

I'll update when I hear back from the dealer, but I'm interested if anyone else has encountered similar problems? Pursuing the threads it seems check engine and TPMS are common combinations (usually with other indicators) for a variety of problems with these vehicles related from transmission to ABS sensors. I hope it's not a big issue! I already dropped $1000 a few months back.

I'd recommend you get an OBD Bluetooth scanner in conjunction with the app "Torque". They could be had for about a $20 investment. That way you'll know all faults being triggered (which you can also clear btw). At least it takes some of the guesswork prior to visiting the dealership.

Did they indicate you had water corrosion coming in from the drive side door affecting wiring near where the fusebox is at? (Near the broken latch.)

Apparently my MAF sensor is acting up. They think it may be just an isolated error and to keep driving and if it happens again then we'll talk replacement. I'll definitely ask when I pick it up if they tried to clean it. I'm going to start carrying my OBD scanner in my glove box in case I get more errors.

Weird that TPMS would be triggered though. The only thing I can think of is that the car was surging a bit and that maybe confused the speed sensor? It's weird. At least the car didn't stall out on me.

A tire rotation always gives me a TPMS warning which I clear by pressing on the TMPS button for a few seconds. Check the PSI of each tire. If there's a considerable deviation the TMPS indicator will light up. Who knows you may have a nail...don't assume the TMPS is going off inadvertently.

I 2nd the bluetooth OBD recommendation.
they're cheap and great for pulling codes quickly when such problems arise.

MAF sensor explains why the car was shuddering but I don't see why the TPMS would come on.
blinking tpms.
hmm...
isn't that a problem with it connecting to the module? Have you gotten new tires recently?

A tire rotation always gives me a TPMS warning which I clear by pressing on the TMPS button for a few seconds. Check the PSI of each tire. If there's a considerable deviation the TMPS indicator will light up. Who knows you may have a nail...don't assume the TMPS is going off inadvertently.

This indicates you have significant circumference difference between tires, which could be hard on the AWD. (I'm not sure if you are AWD).

I 2nd the bluetooth OBD recommendation.
they're cheap and great for pulling codes quickly when such problems arise.

MAF sensor explains why the car was shuddering but I don't see why the TPMS would come on.
blinking tpms.
hmm...
isn't that a problem with it connecting to the module? Have you gotten new tires recently?

I'll check what the code was when I get home, but it was basically an "out of range" error code from the MAF. They inspected the wires and air intake but didn't disassemble anything or remove/check the MAF directly. They did drive with a data-logger and noticed a couple of odd "high" readings, but the check engine light went out after a few minutes. Whatever error it was resolved itself (for now) and the car has been running normal since. Weird!

As for the TPMS - there was never an issue with tire pressure (checked) the mechanic though the shuddering of the car (really it almost stalled) probably caused a malf to the computer, or the ABS sensors detected the erratic speed change and lit up. Red herring - non-issue in this case.

Back