Best non-bose replacement speaker options

Snacks

Contributor
:
CX-5 AWD GT
My front passenger speaker started to buzz a little after a few months of owning my '13 touring, I pretty much learned to ignore it over time and now I rarely hear it. Now my driver side rear speaker is buzzing and since I sit further back its very hard to ignore.

These speakers aren't great to begin with so now I'm thinking of improving them.

Does anyone have suggestions on which speakers to replace them with?

Polk db651's have been mentioned in the forum but to be honest I would prefer to not deal with replacing mounts/collars. If unavoidable then I guess I can handle that.

Thanks

If you want to keep any mods to minimum - just shop around for a set of stock speakers. There should be plenty on ebay and if I'm not mistaken - Mazda 3 uses the same ones.

It you want to go the aftermarket route however - that's a whole different rabbit's hole.

Having just done exactly what you're talking about my conclusion is:

-Any speakers that are marketed as direct factory replacement will do just fine. Infinity, JBL, Polk, Kicker have these lines of components.

I've got JBL GX-s, they are great (for the price) but from what I've gathered - Hertz DSK are the the easiest ones to install using the factory pods.

-Buying full-sized 5 or 6" coaxials for the back doors is a waste of money given how severed the signal is. I don't have a decent micro to measure it properly, but it feels very narrow. 500-10k hz at best? Any decent 3-4" wide band or coaxials can handle that.

The biggest problem with the front speakers installation - crossovers - considering how hard it is to pass new wires into and out of the doors. If you want it the easy way, wherever you'll be buying your speakers from - double the crossovers. You're still in for tons of fun.

But get ready to face the fact that any decent aftermarket speakers will expose more issues then they will solve. For instance - doors mush be deadened - literally - to the death. But unless you want to chase the resonance ghosts forever - you have to bring out new speakers above the door's trim, otherwise there trims are a part of your sound system, and not the most pleasing one to listen to. Which brings out some interesting fabrication and re-finishing challenges... Etc....

Last edited:
I have just upgraded the second time, to Focal PS165FX at front, from Primus PR6500CS components(in the back, I still have a set) and I would say, that they are pretty good speakers. Did not notice a huge difference, between the Focal and Infinity speakers, that I have.

If you want to keep any mods to minimum - just shop around for a set of stock speakers. There should be plenty on ebay and if I'm not mistaken - Mazda 3 uses the same ones.

It you want to go the aftermarket route however - that's a whole different rabbit's hole.

Having just done exactly what you're talking about my conclusion is:

-Any speakers that are marketed as direct factory replacement will do just fine. Infinity, JBL, Polk, Kicker have these lines of components.

I've got JBL GX-s, they are great (for the price) but from what I've gathered - Hertz DSK are the the easiest ones to install using the factory pods.

-Buying full-sized 5 or 6" coaxials for the back doors is a waste of money given how severed the signal is. I don't have a decent micro to measure it properly, but it feels very narrow. 500-10k hz at best? Any decent 3-4" wide band or coaxials can handle that.

The biggest problem with the front speakers installation - crossovers - considering how hard it is to pass new wires into and out of the doors. If you want it the easy way, wherever you'll be buying your speakers from - double the crossovers. You're still in for tons of fun.

But get ready to face the fact that any decent aftermarket speakers will expose more issues then they will solve. For instance - doors mush be deadened - literally - to the death. But unless you want to chase the resonance ghosts forever - you have to bring out new speakers above the door's trim, otherwise there trims are a part of your sound system, and not the most pleasing one to listen to. Which brings out some interesting fabrication and re-finishing challenges... Etc....

Great info here, thanks

One of them I had crossed polarity, that is why it did not sound to different. Now, it works much much better, than the Infinity speakers.
I have found out, using an app called, Polarity checker.

Latest posts

Back